Is grado really the best?
Jan 2, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #16 of 46
PcChip, I haven't listened to the old Grados, but I heard the i series has better bass and is less bright. I compared mine to a few other headphones, I thought the bass was great.

Jan 2, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #17 of 46
Ok so know its definetly between the grado sr80i and the ultrasone hfi-680

The fact that the ultrasones are closed is a bonus but for heavy metal they might be muddy and I know the grados aren't

Jan 2, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #20 of 46
Yes I'm going to be using these on my ipod and they're pretty much gonna stay around my neck, I know open cans leak but its cool. If I'm jammin at home I leave that to the denon with cerwin vega's

Jan 2, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #22 of 46
Quote:

Maybe... But there is no cheaper option to get the Audeze's sound. Maybe HE-400/HE500 could do the job? Or HD650 (I am prepared for loud disagreement here ,-) ).

From closed-back phones, what about Sennheiser momentum? Logitech UE6000?

Nobody is disagreeing with you!!!, so unprepare yourself, all I'm saying is the guy is not comparing 1000$ headphone's! C'mon

Jan 2, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #23 of 46
Quote:
PcChip, I haven't listened to the old Grados, but I heard the i series has better bass and is less bright. I compared mine to a few other headphones, I thought the bass was great.

I have both the SR-80s and SR-80is, and while I wouldn't say the i's are less bright (could be wrong about that, haven't A/B'ed them in a long time), they definitely have more full/punchy bass, and I personally prefer them to the originals.

Quote:

Maybe... But there is no cheaper option to get the Audeze's sound. Maybe HE-400/HE500 could do the job? Or HD650 (I am prepared for loud disagreement here ,-) ).

Considering OP is looking for phones to use with his iPod/on the go, I don't think anything by Audeze or HiFiMAN will fit the bill (as much as I love both companys' offerings).  I'd also hesitate to suggest he buy $400-$1000 headphones without hearing them first.

Jan 2, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #27 of 46
Quote:
Agreed haha I'd never buy headphones beyond 200$ 1 cause at that price level I'd buy something for home stereo instead. And 2 my girlfriend would cut my nuts off

You really don't have to spend up to 200$, with the SR80i I think you will be just as well off for the 99$, they to me are that good. And you get to keep your nut's, and still have great sound for that price!

Jan 2, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #29 of 46
Quote:
Agreed haha I'd never buy headphones beyond 200$ 1 cause at that price level I'd buy something for home stereo instead. And 2 my girlfriend would cut my nuts off

Never say never, your wallet may cry after that first local meet.

So what about UE6000 or Senns Momentum? Mad dog? Beyer DT1350?

Don't have personal experience with any of those, other than a very brief listen to the mad dogs at a meet.  There are certainly loads of portable, lower impedance phones that might suit OP's tastes.  I think the mad dogs would require quite a bit more to drive than the OP is likely looking for (unless he has or is getting a portable amp), and might still cost a bit more than he'd want to spend without hearing them.

Jan 2, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #30 of 46
The only setback with the sr80i is that the cord is 7 feet long and probably a pain to replace. No big deal tho I kinda found out that higher end headphones tend to have long ass cords. I would be perfect to get sum good rocker cans with a removable cord but that's livin in a dream land

Users who are viewing this thread

Back