Is google evil? Will they be soon?
Nov 2, 2005 at 5:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

dougmwpsu

100+ Head-Fier
So they can read your e-mail monitor your files, read your conversations and keep track of what you are blogging. They have eyes in the sky, never forget what you’re looking for and speak every language on the planet. It’s rumored that they are going to kill Microsoft, take over books , phones, tv and even create a new internet. They may even be able to read your mind.

sooo, is google evil? Are they going to take over the web? Take over Microsoft? Take over corporate America? Take over the U.S. government? Will they soon take over the world? Is anyone else at least a little worried that they will soon know way too much about their users? How much more are you willing to take? Would your paranoia ever stop you from using their oh so convenient services?

I for one, do not welcome our google overlords. Right now I am incredibly reliant on the services that google makes available. They are my e-mail client, search client, shopping advisor and cartographer. They help me find files I’ve lost on in my hard drive and keep me up to date on the latest news. Right now, google probably knows ore about my personality, tastes, values and habits than I do. Since they recently went public, they still have “do no harm” overtones to them, however it is only a matter of time before they turn evil. As a publicially traded company, it is inevitable. They are now run by dollars and bottom lines, rather than ideals. This is one to watch folks…

Nov 2, 2005 at 5:17 AM Post #4 of 29
Dunno, but I take no chances myself. Don't use Gmail or any of their other services, and I have their cookies blocked. I do use 'em for search, but that's OK without the cookies.

Nov 2, 2005 at 5:19 AM Post #5 of 29
What isn't evil nowadays, especially google (helping murders, stalkers, and perverts everywhere!).

Nov 2, 2005 at 5:31 AM Post #6 of 29
Oh noes! They stoledd my MeGAHURTZ!

On a serious note, yes. The internet is a very dangerous thing to use and google has become awfuly powerful in the past few years, who would have known..

Nov 2, 2005 at 5:36 AM Post #7 of 29
How you ever considered that google may be logging everything you type, and that its algorithm has already identified you as an "enemy" and scheduled you for termination after the great cataclysm?

Perhaps it is not wise to speak ill of your future overlord.

Nov 2, 2005 at 5:36 AM Post #8 of 29
I use Gmail. It's very practical and works very well in spite of it being still a beta implementation. 2 Gigabites of free webmail storage space is quite an irresistible offer too. If any of you want an invitation for either Gmail or Orkut I'll be happy to send you.

Oh yes, would'nt it be nice if Google actually killed Microsoft! LOL! I just wonder how on earth a cottonpicking search engine service would ever kill Microsoft. Must be another urban legend...

Cheers!
580smile.gif

Nov 2, 2005 at 5:43 AM Post #10 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by YngwieJMalmsteen
How you ever considered that google may be logging everything you type, and that its algorithm has already identified you as an "enemy" and scheduled you for termination after the great cataclysm?

I thought I was the only receiving subconscious warnings from the great monkey king. Guess I was wrong.

Nov 2, 2005 at 6:04 AM Post #11 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Altorfer
Oh yes, would'nt it be nice if Google actually killed Microsoft! LOL! I just wonder how on earth a cottonpicking search engine service would ever kill Microsoft. Must be another urban legend...

If you look at the services they now offer, and the fact that they are hiring developers for OO, working with Sun on SO.... They are not a search engine good sir, they haven't been for years. They may be hiding behind that to the general populous, but they have their hands in everything now. I mean, who needs a $9 billion war chest?

Nov 2, 2005 at 7:21 AM Post #13 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by YngwieJMalmsteen

Well i was looking at the source code for google.com and i found this.

<script>
Destroy human race when Jahn hits 10,000 posts
</script>

Nov 2, 2005 at 7:39 AM Post #14 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by dougmwpsu
war chest? is google legally allowed to declare war? could they declare war on the united states?

For sure. But I've heard that most of their military spending so far has been defensive in nature: radar systems, anti-aircraft installations, small arms, that kind of thing. So I wouldn't worry yet.

Nov 2, 2005 at 10:13 AM Post #15 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by MuZI
Well i was looking at the source code for google.com and i found this.

<script>
Destroy human race when Jahn hits 10,000 posts
</script>

So, what do you plan to do for your last days on Earth?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back