is gapless encoding possible
Jan 15, 2006 at 7:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Sheynkman

100+ Head-Fier
I didnt know where to place this other than here...but I'm just fed up with gap-full encoding!

I have plenty of multitrack CDs that are actually "full track" mixes...its very annoying to hear that second gap while listening....Ive even gone as far as creating two copies ....one folder with the mp3s of the album and another file of all the songs recorded as one...

Its 2006...there HAS to be a solution for this!

Jan 15, 2006 at 7:34 AM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheynkman
I didnt know where to place this other than here...but I'm just fed up with gap-full encoding!

I have plenty of multitrack CDs that are actually "full track" mixes...its very annoying to hear that second gap while listening....Ive even gone as far as creating two copies ....one folder with the mp3s of the album and another file of all the songs recorded as one...

Encode using LAME MP3, Ogg Vorbis, FLAC, Musepack or any of the other wonderful free gapless encoders. Also grab the gapless output plugin for Winamp or use foobar.

Jan 15, 2006 at 3:18 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

rip with EAC to cue sheet - play the cue sheets in Foobar and you get the exact gaps from the master CD. Not sue if you can also convert the file to FLAC and keep using the cue sheets, but it works great with WAV files, but I think that all you would need to do is encoded the big ripped WAV and change the cue sheet to point at that file name instead.

Peter

Jan 15, 2006 at 3:26 PM Post #4 of 11
Lame produces MP3 files that are gapless when played with Foobar or the mpg123 plugin for Winamp. afaik OGG files are also gapless when encoded properly

if you're looking for gapless playback on an portable, i remember reading that the iRiver players support both gapless MP3 and OGG playback. i'm not sure tho

Jan 15, 2006 at 6:13 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by pburke
Not sue if you can also convert the file to FLAC and keep using the cue sheets

Easy: Open the .cue file with notepad, press ctrl + h (or edit, replace), and replace .wav with .flac. Problem solved.

Jan 15, 2006 at 6:19 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Firestarter
Lame produces MP3 files that are gapless when played with Foobar or the mpg123 plugin for Winamp. afaik OGG files are also gapless when encoded properly

if you're looking for gapless playback on an portable, i remember reading that the iRiver players support both gapless MP3 and OGG playback. i'm not sure tho

If you're thinking about the H120 with the custom RockBox firmware, then you're correct.

Jan 15, 2006 at 7:43 PM Post #7 of 11
Did they ever finish the rockbox firmware for the h3xx series. I was looking into it awhile back and then lost interest.

Jan 15, 2006 at 8:17 PM Post #8 of 11
For playing on the computer, foobar2000 will play pretty much everything gaplessly so long as the files themselves are gapless. And anything encoded well (FLAC, Lame mp3, ogg, etc.) is going to be gapless.

For portable players, only the discontinued Rio Karma and players with Rockbox firmware, the important ones of which are the iRiver iHP-1xx and 3xx models, play gaplessly.

Jan 15, 2006 at 9:58 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

One would think so; we did go to the moon almost 40 years ago, gapless playback shouldn't be that much more difficult than traveling to another celestial body
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 16, 2006 at 4:28 PM Post #10 of 11
thanks for your advice everyone!

I use CDex to encode with Lame (1.3?) VBR 32-320

So even if there is a method to play my files back on my pc gaplessly.....I still cant record a cd from those files and have the gapless qualities of the original CD?? or does lame actually takes care of all the gaps and my winamp is the primary deterent of me listening to good transitions?

Jan 16, 2006 at 6:29 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

thanks for your advice everyone!

I use CDex to encode with Lame (1.3?) VBR 32-320

So even if there is a method to play my files back on my pc gaplessly.....I still cant record a cd from those files and have the gapless qualities of the original CD?? or does lame actually takes care of all the gaps and my winamp is the primary deterent of me listening to good transitions?

You can if you keep the .cue sheet, but if not you can change the gap in between songs in most burn programs. You can change it to zero, but that will make all of the songs converge with each other.

I don't use winamp so I can't comment on it's gapless playback but I'm sure it does. foobar does for sure, iTunes for sure doesn't
confused.gif
mad.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back