Is Free Antivirus Enough to Protect my Laptop?
Dec 27, 2009 at 9:05 PM Post #61 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They get viruses too, just not to the degree of Windows users. They also tend to get caught and patched for very fast.

NO OS is virus free. Not Windows, not OSX, and not Linux.

As for Anti-Virus:

Free: Anti-Vir

Paid: ESET NOD32

Haven't tried Security Essentials myself yet though. AVG and Avast are pretty "meh" anymore.

Very True, but who is superior in virus prevention/protection efficiency? I'm not trying to be a "fanboy" but i've owned windows for pretty much my whole life until 2 years ago when i switched over to mac. Never have i had to reboot my macs due to viruses interfering with it's performance/start up etc. I'm sure everyone has thier own reasons as to why they stick with microsoft, but this sold it for me, along with a few other things but i'm not trying to sell you a mac so i'll leave it at that.

Dec 27, 2009 at 9:05 PM Post #62 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's not the best. It is on by default if you do not have an internet security program and Windows will bug you if you don't buy and install one.

Edit: That's Vista and Windows 7 that notify you of a lack of proper security. I do not remember if XP does as well.

It does ; at least when you don't have an anti-virus installed or is disabled. That's under SP3, don't know/remember from the original XP, SP1 or SP2.

Dec 27, 2009 at 10:09 PM Post #63 of 79
What we need is a virus scanner designed especially for **** surfing. That would fix half the problems right there.

Dec 27, 2009 at 10:15 PM Post #64 of 79
I removed Microsoft Security Essentials, after it screwed up the computer of my eldest son.
Happy now with Panda Cloud Antivirus.

Dec 27, 2009 at 10:37 PM Post #65 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pepsi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very True, but who is superior in virus prevention/protection efficiency? I'm not trying to be a "fanboy" but i've owned windows for pretty much my whole life until 2 years ago when i switched over to mac. Never have i had to reboot my macs due to viruses interfering with it's performance/start up etc. I'm sure everyone has thier own reasons as to why they stick with microsoft, but this sold it for me, along with a few other things but i'm not trying to sell you a mac so i'll leave it at that.

I've been running Vista x64 for a long time now and have never had a virus/trojan/worm in my system, and this is with a free anti-virus program. With 7, I have not had an issue either. The last time I had a problem with a virus was back with XP and there's almost no reason to still be running that ancient OS today.

Dec 27, 2009 at 11:24 PM Post #66 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get some. You have no idea how your computer picks up viruses, trojans, and other spyware/malware when you do not have internet security and antivirus.

Oh I think I just might, considering I am the one not using the antivirus software. Every now and then I pick some up to do a scan and it finds a hand full of low-threat infections that are barely worth removing.

Common sense, good browsing habits, and some computer know how go a long way. In almost 4 years now I have yet to have a real infection (keylogger, popups, etc). The last real problem I can remember on any of my "unprotected" computers was the blaster worm.

Quote:

Originally Posted by finoyvoy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you are crazy. I run 10 different anti-virus software. It makes my computer 10 times safer.

Damn, I bet that computer is almost as good as a mac.

lol

Dec 27, 2009 at 11:56 PM Post #67 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by DayoftheGreek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh I think I just might, considering I am the one not using the antivirus software. Every now and then I pick some up to do a scan and it finds a hand full of low-threat infections that are barely worth removing.

Common sense, good browsing habits, and some computer know how go a long way. In almost 4 years now I have yet to have a real infection (keylogger, popups, etc). The last real problem I can remember on any of my "unprotected" computers was the blaster worm.

Damn, I bet that computer is almost as good as a mac.

lol

lololol

Dec 28, 2009 at 4:07 AM Post #68 of 79
Quote:

Maybe I'm crazy, but I haven't used any anti-virus/firewall/anti-spyware software in years. I run my computer with as little software as possible. I am more of a power user, so I find myself reformatting a lot anyway to play with other OS'es and whatnot.

You're a power user? Have you not heard of virtualization?

Dec 28, 2009 at 4:49 PM Post #70 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're a power user? Have you not heard of virtualization?

Sure I have.

Are you suggesting I do my browsing in a VM, or try out new OS's by using a VM?

Dec 28, 2009 at 7:33 PM Post #71 of 79
I just read yesterday that only 3% of the harmful stuff out there are actual traditional viruses. Protecting against spyware and the like is much more practical.

Dec 29, 2009 at 5:48 AM Post #72 of 79
Quote:

Sure I have.

Are you suggesting I do my browsing in a VM, or try out new OS's by using a VM?

I was wondering why you don't use a VM to try out OSes. Reformatting your PC sounds excessively time-wasting. It's not like you need to pay for VM software either, as there are a couple of free ones.

Dec 29, 2009 at 6:02 AM Post #73 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was wondering why you don't use a VM to try out OSes. Reformatting your PC sounds excessively time-wasting. It's not like you need to pay for VM software either, as there are a couple of free ones.

I have tried using a VM to get a taste of new OS'es, but I don't like them as a long term solution. I always seem to end up in a dual-boot scenario eventually. Until I get my fill of the other OS anyway. I've been pretty much stuck on Windows 7 since the beta was released.

I really like a fresh install, no amount of cleaning get things running as clean. I my last Windows 7 install took me only about an hour to get up and running with almost all of my software, so its not that much time. Installing from a flash drive cut down install time a good amount.

Feb 7, 2010 at 4:16 AM Post #74 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by DanielCox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Common sense is the best protection - failing that any one of the three free antivirus programs will more than meet your needs. Norton, McAfee, etc. are all rip off programs preying on the fear of the average pleb. They're not worth your money and cause more problems than they solve.
The only AV you should ever consider buying is NOD32 - excellent software if you want slightly more protection.

Daniel, no offense intended, but this is mostly bad advice. I've done more malware cleanups of client machines (one of my responsibilities at the office is the corporate AV/AM mgmt, 1000-ish users) than I care to remember and have seen the gamut of free and paid antivirus suites.

First of all, whoever posted this gave you some valuable information. Bravo. There's a reason that many major corporations force their admins to use user-level accounts for normal daily stuff, although UAC in Vista and 7 has made it less dangerous to not do so. I don't agree with his NoScript advice, because you're crippling your browser in the process and making most websites unnavigable. I also don't agree with his last statement about AV/AM not being required, because (again) you're killing many of the useful features of running apps & applets inside the browser...browser-based apps are only going to increase in number as this SAS (software as a service) thing grows even longer legs...and who is going to want to be restricted from downloading some of the niftiest free utilities and/or music & movies out there? The good AV/AM suites have heuristic detection pieces that can sniff out malicious behavior and tell you what's going on when needed.

Second, I have yet to see a free AV/AM suite that gave complete protection except for EEye's Blink product (excellent, excellent, excellent)...which left it's free-for-a-year-then-reinstall status to a 30-day trial model. AVG, Avast, Avira, Panda, etc...they don't give you the total suite for free, just basic protection...and none of these will protect you adequately against rootkit-based malware and the FakeAntivirus bugs which are so freaking nasty. I've seen infected boxes with all the free AV/AM apps at some time or another. Used to love love love AVG for its user-friendliness and low overhead, but it doesn't stop anything these days hardly.

Third, a few recommendations. If you have McAfee's suite on any type of trial, uninstall it. Easily the most overhead-heavy non-functioning junk on the market, in my opinion. I see more infected Dells using the preinstalled McAfee suite than anything else that crosses our lab tables. It'll keep off some pieces of a given bug but not all of it, and once McAfee breaks due to a partial infection, it becomes a non-functional disk-thrashing monster. CA Etrust. Total garbage. Avoid. As Daniel said, the Eset NOD32 suite is very, very good. I know a guy who stopped his company's habitual Facebook/MySpace-sourced infection problem with this product, and I have yet to see an infected machine with it installed. My favorite for lightweight-ness and effectiveness is Norton Internet Security. They've really cleaned up their act from the early 2000s and have a fantastic product that won't slow down your system. We also use its rough corporate equal (Endpoint Protection Mgr) and have done perhaps two cleanups since switching...both of those have preexisting bugs from previously-installed malware. $40 or cheaper if you can find a rebate, and a 3-machine license for a year. Money well spent.

Sorry for the speech folks.

Feb 7, 2010 at 4:26 AM Post #75 of 79
Last night good ol' MSE actually caught a trojan that was still in its RAR container.
smile.gif
And the detection was near-instant, a second or two after the file finished downloading.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back