Is foobar better than itunes in terms of sound quality?
Feb 19, 2007 at 5:14 AM Post #2 of 19
I'm not an expert, but I can tell you that with Foobar, you can tweak specific settings about how the sound comes out digitally. This includes perfect, bit-matched playback. Many also use foobar to support the playback of the FLAC lossless format, which is 100% lossless, but around half the size of a .WAV.

Feb 20, 2007 at 1:43 AM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by EnOYiN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Foobar does to have better SQ than any other player. The only truth advantage of foobar is that you can modifiy it yourself pretty easily.

pretty hardsily, unless you are computer savvy.

Feb 20, 2007 at 1:46 AM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by partyatmyears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
itunes is pretty great and i'm satisfied with it. but i'll do anything to improve the sound quality of my setup. does Foobar sound better than Itunes? if so, how?

No difference unless you are having problems with iTunes songs skipping now and again, in that case you can get foobar and the multi-plugin for iTunes (2.5 is the latest) and use the Kernal Streaming that foobar offers while keeping the iTunes GUI and functionality.

Some of us have had issues with iTunes 7 causing skipping and cracking noises when using other applications at the same time. Some choose to turn off sound acceleration to fix the issue, while others, like myself, chose to go the multi-plugin route.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 20, 2007 at 7:01 AM Post #8 of 19
It gives just enough of reverb sound to the mix, that is pleasant.
It gives smooth liquid quality to it.

The good thing about Foobar is that the sound is clearer.
If your preamp already has that liquid quality, the Foobar will be more dynamic - if not, try the Yahoo.

Feb 20, 2007 at 10:01 AM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by terrymx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
pretty hardsily, unless you are computer savvy.

I guess I am then. Foobar does have a lot more plug-ins than some other players and you don't even have to be able to make them yourself. Just wait untill someone else does. And then steal it.
wink.gif

Feb 21, 2007 at 5:29 AM Post #11 of 19
I prefer Foobar because it is an extremely robust, configurable, reliable, and small player with a number of possible components and plugins that you cna use to tailor the sound. I've quite happy with it right now.

Feb 21, 2007 at 9:16 AM Post #12 of 19
I've seen how cool Foobar can be thanks to this site, but I haven't seen anything that can take me away from using WinAmp. I've been using it for years, and the way I have it configured now, I don't see how anything else could be any more conveniant for how I use it. Also, I think that WinAmp+ASIO and Foobar+ASIO may sound a little different but I don't even know if there is really a difference (so obviously I don't know which one sounds best).

Feb 21, 2007 at 11:20 AM Post #13 of 19
well, reguarding sound quality, there are plenty of plug-ins for various kinds of settings, equalizers, crossfeed, and basically a volume leveler for all files, honestly i dont know how much of an improvement there is, you just need to look it up on their wiki test them out and basically customize it to your own liking, pretty much why foobar is a great player.

Feb 21, 2007 at 2:21 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Use multi-plugin for iTunes.

http://www.aqua-soft.org/board/showthread.php?t=41188

X2

Use Itunes and Foobar with the multi-plugin. Get the ALAC plugin for Foobar. Rip everything in ALAC in Itunes. Use ASIO or Kernel streaming output in Foobar. Don't look back.

Feb 21, 2007 at 3:08 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by JSTpt1022 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X2

Use Itunes and Foobar with the multi-plugin. Get the ALAC plugin for Foobar. Rip everything in ALAC in Itunes. Use ASIO or Kernel streaming output in Foobar. Don't look back.

I'd love to, but I've been having some trouble getting that to work. You want to let me know what I'm doing wrong, be my guest.
-G

Users who are viewing this thread

Back