Is Fiio E7 enough to drive HD 650, or is the Fiio E7/E9 combo needed?
Nov 24, 2011 at 7:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Zoom25

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello,

This is my first post on Head-fi although I have been following this forum for a while now as a spectator. Out of all the other forums, I felt this to be the one of the more helpful ones and definitely the least harsh on its members - especially to new members :) So, now on to the question at hand.

I am considering buying the Sennheiser HD 650 or perhaps one of HD 555/558/595/598 - depending on the money. Although my main preference still remains the HD 650. I have now gotten the gist that for this headphone I will need an amp; and the cheapest, and rather well, combination I have heard of is the Fiio E7 (DAC + AMP) along with Fiio E9 (Desktop AMP). I will be playing all my lossless music either through Macbook pro or Sansa Fuze V2. 

So the question I have is whether the Fiio E7 alone is enough as it is an amp and dac for HD 650, or do I also need to combine it to the E9 for better amp. The impedance for HD 650 is 300 ohms and apparently the fiio e7 has range upto 300 ohms, while the e9 has upto 600 ohms. If I do need the dual combo, I can get it for my PC use. 

Also any recommendations/advice regarding the Fiio E7 amp with Sansa Fuze V2 rockboxed.

1) Do I really need an amp with Sansa Fuze + HD 650 and if so is E7 sufficient?
2) My Sansa Fuze V2 doesn't have a designated line out although I have heard on few forums that the headphone jack out is quite clean, far more than iPod's. So any advice regarding the headphone jack on the fuze or any mods that I can do to a get a line out or something similar.
3) Besides the HD 650, how do the other HD models I mentioned earlier suit with the E7 alone and the E7/E9 combo. 

I realize that there are a lot of questions so any help will be greatly appreciated, many thanks in advance fellow Head-fiers.

Nov 27, 2011 at 2:25 PM Post #3 of 5
Actually, your Fuze into the E9 would be a pretty good match for the HD650.  It's a good stop gap till you can get better gear in the future.

Nov 27, 2011 at 6:01 PM Post #4 of 5

Quote:
Actually, your Fuze into the E9 would be a pretty good match for the HD650.  It's a good stop gap till you can get better gear in the future.

How would the fuze work with Ultrasone pro 900, I'm also considering them. Do you know how good the line out and dac is for that and what fiio I would need? Would the Fiio E7 be enough or do I also need the combo of E7 and E9. 

Also I have a 2010 macbook pro. I realize from what I have heard that dedicated soundcards outside are better and amps are usually bad with pc's. Do you know how the Ultrasone 900 would fare with macbook pro or iMac in terms of dac and amp

Nov 27, 2011 at 6:28 PM Post #5 of 5
The PRO900 is fairly easy to drive(from what I've read), so it'll sound good with your fuze, though I would recommend pairing it with a portable amp(Fiio's E11 for example) for more optimal results.  The E7 would work well with the PRO900 and it has a nice three level eq. to tune the sound a bit to one's liking.  The E7 paired with the E9 would yield the best results of the options here as the E9's powerful amp is capable of almost any dynamic headphone.

Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with the macbook or iMac, but here's where the versatility of the E7/E9 combo comes in.  The E7 itself can act as an external sound card for Mac devices and as a portable amp for your fuze.  So, you can(if you so choose) use the E7 docked to the E9 with your Macs and use the E7 on the go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back