Is Ety's ER-4 comfortable to wear?
Jan 12, 2005 at 4:53 PM Post #2 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by tcg
Hi!
Is the ety's ER-4 series comfortable to wear?

Initially, I think most people say "no." After some breaking in of the tips I use (tri-flange) I don't notice them at all. I would imagine when I finally replace them I'll go through a similar break-in period.

If you do go with them, don't get discouraged right-away. You'll be rewarded after a time.

Jan 12, 2005 at 5:36 PM Post #3 of 21
Buy a set of the Ety earplugs for $5-10 and wear them for a few days. They are virtually identical to the tri-flange tips on the ER-4 canalphones, and will give you a good idea of what the comfort level is like.

-Keith

Jan 12, 2005 at 5:42 PM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by meithkiller
Buy a set of the Ety earplugs for $5-10 and wear them for a few days. They are virtually identical to the tri-flange tips on the ER-4 canalphones, and will give you a good idea of what the comfort level is like.

-Keith

You can get foamies and tri-flanges at Walgreens, probably any drug store. They won't be identical, but you'll get the feel of having something in your ears. Shouldn't be more than $5, I'd say.

Jan 12, 2005 at 6:25 PM Post #5 of 21
Personally, I find them more comfortable than my Grados! I'm sure it has to do with personal ear canal characteristics or what not, but as another poster said, I hardly feel them (with the foamies)! The only thing is that the foamies itch a bit sometimes, but not too often.

Jan 12, 2005 at 6:51 PM Post #6 of 21
I have some ER-6i for about a week, love them, and I find them less comfortable than say a Sennheiser 580, 600, 570, etc or earbuds but I would not say they are uncomfortable. I am fine with them for continuous use for several hours at a time but if my decision was based on only comfort, I would choose the full sized phones.

Jan 12, 2005 at 7:16 PM Post #8 of 21
I've been using Ety 4P's for commuting 2 hours a day 5 days a week for about a year now. I find them very comfortable (more comfortable than any other headphone) with the silicone tips though they took a week to get used to. It's definitely helps to use a small amount of saliva to lubricate them first. I never really liked the foamies and got worse sound quality and isolation with them.

I recently tried the Shure e3c's. Personally I found the e3c's really uncomfortable with stock silicone single flange soft and hard tips (I didn't have Shure tri flanges to try) but reasonably comfortable using Ety silicone tri-flange tips (they fit the e3c approximately).

To avoid microphonics you can run the Ety cable over the top of you ear and down again (perhaps using a memory cable like the Shure e5c?). If you wear spectacles it helps to wrap the Ety cable around the arms to cancel more microphonic noise (I've got the newer braided cable). The e3c cable looked a bit thick to do this with.

To clean Ety silicone tips use detergent and water but dry them *thoroughly* before replacing the tips.

To get rid of bad earwax staining first soak the tips in cooking oil for a few hours and then wash thoroughly with detergent (you *really* don't want to clog the filters with oil). They then look almost new again.

P.S. take the tips off the headphones before cleaning them
eek.gif

Jan 12, 2005 at 7:18 PM Post #9 of 21
No doubt that this will vary from person to person.

I was originally concerned with this as well, as even listening with mere earbuds like the stock iPod ones would hurt my ears greatly. Upon actually receiving the ER-4's and trying them, however, my fears were removed. Not only are they remarkably comfortable, but I can actually insert them pretty much straight into my ear one-handed, without going through the procedure they recommend. They stay sealed and virtually to the point that I cannot tell I'm wearing them.

Of course, there's the possibility that I have strange ears, which is probably the likely scenario here.

Best of luck to you.

Jan 13, 2005 at 3:55 AM Post #11 of 21
I ordered some a couple days ago (I was going to wait to get more money in a few months since I was expecting to pay at least 250 for them, but then sombdy made a thread about where to buy them and someone mentioned earsonic. Thank you to those people). What kind of tips do you guys use, and how much do they effect the sound quality?

Jan 13, 2005 at 11:29 AM Post #12 of 21
I always use the silicone tips.

If they're uncomfortable it may help to not push the tips all the way done on the tubes to leave a few milimeters clearance.

Jan 13, 2005 at 12:03 PM Post #13 of 21
I really hate using the foamies. The isolation and sound just arent the same. The most important thing with triflange is to use sufficient saliva on all the surfaces and it will be comfortable indeed
etysmile.gif
But falling asleep with Etys is a no no. Ear drums and Etys are both fragile!

Jan 13, 2005 at 4:16 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spankypoo
For my ears, with foamies, yes. With triflanges, not very.

I have the same experience here.
I can't wear the tri flange tips.
I have worn the foam tips comfortably for 12 hours at a time.
etysmile.gif

Like several others have said. Go get some ear plugs in one style and try them for a few hours, if they bother you, try the other style. If you can live with the ear plugs, order the Etys. Keep in mind that the foam tips don't last forever, and there is some expense in keeping a steady supply of them.

Jan 13, 2005 at 4:24 PM Post #15 of 21
for me, tri-flange is more comfy than foam.... i hardly notice them, in fact. i also prefer the sound of the tri-flange.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back