Is elephant leather unethical?
Apr 29, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #49 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the hides were harvested from naturally dead animals, would it be ok?

All the ebay seller needs to do is add this simple explanation...

The elephant used to make this wallet was not needlessly butchered for commercial reasons. You'll be happy to know that he died in a freak waterskiing accident.

See ya

Steve

Steve, I just read your response. Love it.

Apr 30, 2013 at 4:24 AM Post #50 of 56
Way to go, reviving a 6 year old thread.

Can I just ask, what is wrong with reviving old threads? If a user has something to contribute, but the relevant thread is old, why is it then considered out of bounds? Should the user just make a whole new thread even though there's a nice discussed one already made? Or should he just give up entirely?

I think there's no way you can justify elephant leather being sold in the modern market. The volume of produce you'd need to satisfy demand would end in an extinct species very quickly. It's not about long curly haired hippy types whining about animal rights, it's about not being a sustainable practice. There's enough cows for everybody and their grandmother to have a leather wallet. There aren't that many elephants, and you can't replace the ones you kill fast enough.

Apr 30, 2013 at 5:30 AM Post #51 of 56
Quote:
Can I just ask, what is wrong with reviving old threads? If a user has something to contribute, but the relevant thread is old, why is it then considered out of bounds? Should the user just make a whole new thread even though there's a nice discussed one already made? Or should he just give up entirely?

Usually, it means that the discussion has concluded a long time back. A couple of months is one thing, 5+ years old is totally another. There's no use in 'contributing' if the last contribution was a few years ago. The posters and contributors have most probably forgotten the thread and moved on.

Threads that are popular stay afloat, the less interesting ones gradually trickle down into obscurity. Someone posting a one line reply in such an obscure thread puts it back on top with the rest of the active threads; its like saying "this X year old thread is more important than the current ones". Its just bad etiquette.

If you really want to discuss a topic, you feel that the problem hasn't been discussed well enough, and the last one is a few years old, its better to create a new thread because its has a current context. People feel more involved commenting on active threads rather than zombie threads.

May 1, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #52 of 56
It's worth reviving this thread just so Happy Camper can see my water skiing joke.

Jul 7, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #54 of 56
Good question.

If you ask a cow, he will probably say it's unethical.

If you ask a guy who likes to eat hamburgers, he will probably say it is ethical.

Sep 9, 2013 at 10:24 AM Post #55 of 56
Re: Elephant Leather.

Hope this article from an article on EBay's 'Exotic Skin Leather, Wallets, Belts, Handbags, Briefcases'  clears up any confusion.

Elephant Leather

Elephant leather was originally made using the skins of elephants. Preferred for the unique deep pattern of the skin; it was both stronger and softer than conventional cow leather. The hides could be dyed to almost any color and held the dye much better than cow leather.
Today only three species of elephant remain in the world, all are protected by International Law, and all are endangered to some level.
Two species exist in Africa; the African Bush Elephant (Loxodonta africana) and the African Forest Elephant (Loxodonta cyclotis). At one time these two species were believed even to be one, but today most experts acknowledge them as separate. The third species is the Asiatic (Asian) Elephant (Elephas maximus).
In Africa some countries still allow limited harvesting of some elephants but it is strictly controlled. Ivory sales run by the Government happen about every ten years.  In Asia all elephants are looked upon as protected.
Today elephants have become a national symbol and treasure here in Thailand. The Thai Artesian families that have produce elephant leather for hundreds of years have developed new processes to transform normal cow hides into a product that looks like, and has all the qualities of natural elephant leather.
Today there is no reason to use elephants to produce this leather. The leather hides used to product elephant leather comes from legal sources and not from endangered or threatened animals. The new replacement products are made from Bos taurus indicus, (bovine) and has become the world standard. These processed leathers have gone through unique methods of tanning, embossing, and treatment making it the finest of its type offered in the world

May 24, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #56 of 56
So I see allot of people on here that are your typical; we are people so we are better stand point.

Lets start at the beginning.

When you harm something or kill something for yourself you get a bad feeling. Most people do. People that do not are generally trained in such actions or have certain mental issues. 

So if you believe in god or science; this feeling in its self is a guide. 

Everyone has their own moral compass, someone who knows its wrong and chooses to do it any way is a bad person. Someone who truly believes it is ok, then it is ok. 

So let this be a guide for you decide for your self, I think you will find the answers on your own as long as you open your mind and think. Do try to be a big man and act like you don't give a ****.

Compassion and tolerance are both very important things. I think people don't pay attention to these things enough, they are to worried about telling you what other people do or have done. Instead ask yourself, is the truly right you will have the answer and it will be the right one. 

And one last thing do you think intelligence dictates how much power you have over something? I doubt it, I think it gives us more responsibility to do the right thing. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back