Is EE knowledge required for building a CMOY?
May 15, 2003 at 4:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Unclewai

100+ Head-Fier
I know how to solder through modding consoles. If I am going to DIY a basic CMOY, do I just go solder everything together according the instruction?

May 15, 2003 at 4:50 AM Post #2 of 5
Hey,

You don't really need one. This is because CMOY amp building is supposed to be educational experience. Sorta like DIY101.

But you should learn how to rig opamps from some textbook while you are at it.

Tomo

May 15, 2003 at 5:42 AM Post #3 of 5
No EE knowledge is required if you just want to build a cmoy. The tutorial on tangent's website is quite self-explanatory.

But knowing circuits and reading up on the functions of the CMOY is quite a bit of fun. I suggest you pick up an electornics book and look into the inner workings of some of the DIY amps out there. They're quite fun to look at.

May 15, 2003 at 5:55 AM Post #4 of 5
i just built one and i have almost NO electrical knowlege, a high school junior all i know about electricity i learned from one book and 2 days of class notes on resistor s and capacitors in physics, and i didn't even use anything i learned there. You don't need any knowlege however i am really getting into this DIY stuff (next: META42!!!) and plan on buying more books and learning more about this stuff (i want to design my own class A headphone amp using tubes)

so in answer to your question, no, you do not need EE knowlege to build a CMOY

May 15, 2003 at 7:53 AM Post #5 of 5
This Site is a good electronics primer for you to review before you start building your first amp.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back