Is Edition 9 really worth its price?
Apr 7, 2008 at 9:29 PM Post #46 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
May be, may be not, but I and many other users here wear all phones like that. I personally never noticed any degradation in SQ or changes in phone signature.
And I would probably even buy that special frequency tuning for offset drivers, if that worked for me. But alas, the only effect of S-Logic I experienced was muffled and distant mids, it might be not S-Logic related though, but that's the only thing that was unusual comparing to mere centered driver counterparts.

Oh, well I mean wearing them like, an inch or so off-center. this will obviously alter the sound greatly, i think you'd agree. I mean, that article you posted shows that response changes a good amount even will slight movement. And yea, every headphone design process (even for headphones that do not have offset drivers) includes an equalization phase where they are "tuned" by slightly altering dimensions, material, etc.. I would imagine it's more involved though with the edition 9, just look at its cost haha!

Apr 8, 2008 at 8:33 AM Post #47 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by mdarnton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I switch from my SR325s (which I do like a lot) to the Ed9s, I do turn the volume down quite a bit. I seem to hear much more from underneath everything, down inside the mix--something I have to have a lot more volume on my other phones to hear. Not having another set of closed phones except for my ER4Ps, I don't know if that's an open/closed thing or not, though.

Yeah, but isn't that to be expected when you switch to more transparent headphones? When switching from my SR-325i's to UE-11 for instance, I can listen to drastically lower sound pressure levels, simply because they get the same amount of detail done at lower listening levels.

What I wonder is, regarding Ultrasones "safe listening" claims, are the ED9's better at lower levels compared to equally transparent headphones in the same price range?

If that is the case, then congratulations Ultrasone, you just got a new customer!
tongue.gif

Apr 8, 2008 at 8:43 AM Post #48 of 61
I can't say I really know the Ultrasone Edition 9, but I'm sure it looks like a copy of the Stanton DJ Pro 2000s, which I own. The headband looks exactly the same apart from the color. Weird...

The Stanton has great build quality though.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 9, 2008 at 9:48 AM Post #49 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joost /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't say I really know the Ultrasone Edition 9, but I'm sure it looks like a copy of the Stanton DJ Pro 2000s, which I own. The headband looks exactly the same apart from the color. Weird...

The Stanton has great build quality though.
smily_headphones1.gif

I just looked them up on the net.
The headband does look very similar and the folding cups, makes you wonder doesn't it?

Apr 9, 2008 at 11:07 AM Post #50 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cecala /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just looked them up on the net.
The headband does look very similar and the folding cups, makes you wonder doesn't it?

It seems like most of the Ultrasone's are using the same headband as the Stanton 2000s. Do the Ultrasone's make 'squeeking' sounds when you fold them in? My Stanton does.. Maybe the US's are built from higher grade plastic or something.

Apr 9, 2008 at 4:39 PM Post #51 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joost /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It seems like most of the Ultrasone's are using the same headband as the Stanton 2000s. Do the Ultrasone's make 'squeeking' sounds when you fold them in? My Stanton does.. Maybe the US's are built from higher grade plastic or something.

My older 750 headband squeeked a lot but with the new model headband on them I hardly hear them anymore.

Apr 9, 2008 at 4:50 PM Post #52 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Matteman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, but isn't that to be expected when you switch to more transparent headphones? When switching from my SR-325i's to UE-11 for instance, I can listen to drastically lower sound pressure levels, simply because they get the same amount of detail done at lower listening levels.

Well that's because the ue-11 is an in ear monitor and they are very effecient so you can listen at lower volumes. The fact that they sit deep in your ear canal aslo makes listening at lower volumes easier.

Apr 9, 2008 at 8:51 PM Post #53 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well that's because the ue-11 is an in ear monitor and they are very effecient so you can listen at lower volumes. The fact that they sit deep in your ear canal aslo makes listening at lower volumes easier.

I meant absolute SPL, not how far you turn the volume knob.

Let's say UE9 vs. GS-1000 (which are great for low listening levels). How do the ED9s compare there?

Apr 16, 2008 at 4:19 AM Post #54 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cool_Torpedo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Cecala,

Yes please, send me the link to that study. Sometimes it happens that in a certain community there're several cases of a disease and it's very easy to attribute them to a common envirmental factor, but not having an evidence from other communities (it is workers at MRI units in different hospitals around the World) it's easy to get wrong conclussions. This happens continuously on medical papers and reports.

Regarding the ENS, it's one of those conditions that are complicated to treat and solve. Some surgical procedures can help, but there's not a consensus about the most frequent results. I mean that not all that proves being worth for a patient is good for all them.

Rgrds

I am disparately trying to find where I got that information from although have had no luck. I will keep trying though as you seem most interested.

Regarding the ENS I recently had a deviated Septum fixed and a Turbindectomy all to good results. Before hand though I did much research and spoke to 2 ENT surgeons who have never heard of ENS. Its good to know that someone has and can better provide for their patients.

Apr 16, 2008 at 5:22 AM Post #55 of 61
The ed.9's are a superb headphone. The mate with both of my Rudistor's really, really well. But the best synergy, is with the Apache. The sound is like listening to well balanced, full range Loudspeakers. Incredible!!

Apr 16, 2008 at 7:28 AM Post #56 of 61
I love the Edition 9 as well. They add a sense of body and texture to the music that sometimes feels like there are real instruments in the room with me that I could reach out and touch.

Both of my Edition 9 are at the top of my stash, which got too big for my sig so I moved it all to my Public Profile. Sometimes people post descriptions of the Edition 9 sound that doesn't seem to describe mine at all. The reason I have so many headphones is that I like to change things up a little, just like with food. Can't eat lobster every night, sometimes you just feel like having a steak, or chicken, etc. And, as expected, some people hate lobster.

So, the only way to know if you will like them is to try them.

Apr 16, 2008 at 7:42 AM Post #57 of 61
Quote:

I am disparately trying to find where I got that information from although have had no luck. I will keep trying though as you seem most interested.

Regarding the ENS I recently had a deviated Septum fixed and a Turbindectomy all to good results. Before hand though I did much research and spoke to 2 ENT surgeons who have never heard of ENS. Its good to know that someone has and can better provide for their patients.

No worries, if you find it, it'd be an interesting reading, specially to know how accurate and "real" are the conclussions they make based on the true evidence, and not just especulative reasons. It could happen that you read it on any newspaper, journalists don't know about science and statistics, so easily write articles that mislead general population.

Regarding ENS, I'm glad your surgery was successful. It's what should be expected, the only "secret" is being conservative when removing tissue from the turbinates, to avoid ENS as a consequence.
For a professional it's hard to keep updated on every single aspect of his speciallity. Their not knowing about ENS doesn't mean they're bad professionals, but they're more focussed on other aspects into their field. Or that they are so good that never had any of their patients suffering ENS after their surgeries. Who knows.

Rgrds

Apr 16, 2008 at 12:17 PM Post #58 of 61
Quote:

No worries, if you find it, it'd be an interesting reading, specially to know how accurate and "real" are the conclussions they make based on the true evidence, and not just especulative reasons. It could happen that you read it on any newspaper, journalists don't know about science and statistics, so easily write articles that mislead general population.

No, No, I don't read newspapers as I use real toilet paper. This was a statement made by a doctor in the field, so I tended to listen and take his position more seriously.

Quote:

Regarding ENS, I'm glad your surgery was successful. It's what should be expected, the only "secret" is being conservative when removing tissue from the turbinates, to avoid ENS as a consequence.
For a professional it's hard to keep updated on every single aspect of his speciallity. Their not knowing about ENS doesn't mean they're bad professionals, but they're more focussed on other aspects into their field. Or that they are so good that never had any of their patients suffering ENS after their surgeries. Who knows.

Rgrds

From what I've read yes, remove as little as possible of the Inferior Turbinates and leave the medial and superior intact. The second ENT-man firstly said he never heard of ENS when I inquired then said its all nonsense and not to worry. Go figure. My Inferiors were cut to the bone and am glad I have not had any problems.

Apr 16, 2008 at 12:23 PM Post #59 of 61
As stated earlier with top tier cans, only the owner can truly say if there worth it or not, because it will be an emotional based decision versus a financial one. Do they cost $1500 to produce or anywhere near that? No, there surely is a huge markup on them, just as with all of the headphones in their class(l3000, qualia, r10).

Either way, I am truly interested in trying them out. Headphone addict what would you say are the sonic differences between them and the ALO HFI-780's?

Apr 16, 2008 at 1:39 PM Post #60 of 61
Quote:

No, No, I don't read newspapers as I use real toilet paper. This was a statement made by a doctor in the field, so I tended to listen and take his position more seriously.

I see... as I said before, it all depends on the context, population sample size, other associated variables control... It's very easy to take conclussions wrongly when you cannot control everything involved and related to the study. I know first hand hehehe
wink.gif

Quote:

From what I've read yes, remove as little as possible of the Inferior Turbinates and leave the medial and superior intact. The second ENT-man firstly said he never heard of ENS when I inquired then said its all nonsense and not to worry. Go figure. My Inferiors were cut to the bone and am glad I have not had any problems.

In fact the ENS is not as common as it might seem. Any "average" ENT surgeon knows how to avoid complications due to excessive tissue removal. In my hospital (I'm not in the rhinology section, so I cannot speak with full knowledge) I still have to see a single patient with this problem.

And now back to the topic. At some point I've felt tempted to try those Ed9, but knowing some brand's products, and their kind of... "weirdness" in the tonal balance --I mean they don't have the kind of balanced and neutral voicing of the HD600 or K701 to my ears--, I wonder if they get so much appreciation for their musicallity "a la Grado", or for being true outstanding neutral monitor. I wonder if they can show everything into the recording without falsely enhancing detail, dynamics, "air" or anything that could be taken as coloration, but doing it so smoothly and with such quality that nothing stays out of focus, or if they are simply "fun" cans that also have some good "sound" properties.

Rgrds

Users who are viewing this thread

Back