Is Creek OBH 11 or 11SE a good match for HD-600?
Jul 9, 2003 at 7:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

freeflight

Head-Fier
I am looking for an amp under $350 for my HD-600. Is Creek OBH 11 a good match for HD-600?

Is 11SE worth the extra money?
rolleyes.gif

Thanks.

Jul 9, 2003 at 8:04 PM Post #2 of 23
I never could make myself like the HD-600/OBH-11 sound. I've heard alot since then, but going from memory, the sound wasn't very balanced, with too much emphasis on the low end, the top end didn't extend as much as I'd like it to, and their wasn't really the air between instruments, I remember a rather soft sound, lacking in detail as well (maybe I'm spoiled with the gilmore/ety combo).

IMO your $350 would be MUCH better spent elsewhere--though I only heard it breifly before I sold it (the Corda HA-1 took my attention), and my ears were even more virgin then, the headroom little sounded kinda nice with the senns.

Today there are quite a few options at your price point which I think would be a much better bet the the creek, some examples are as follows.

Gilmore Lite (pre-order price of $250) - haven't heard one but I love my v.2

Meta42 - I heard one with specs unknown to me ( I think it was williamgoodys) at the NYC meet, it deserves the hype

Corda HA-1 MKII - More expereinced ears then mine swear by it, and the HA-1 was already a pretty nice little amp

Melos SHA-1 - I only briefly listened to a melos and it was quite the expereince... it was boozebuttons carlos modded frankenmelos, and it made my senns sing like I didn't know possible. Of course this is probably alot better then a SHA-1, but they've pretty much been praised for a while.

MG Head - My expereince with these was breif but pleasant, definatly worth investingating

$350 is a nice amount of money to play with. Do a little reading and I'm sure you'll find something to your liking.

Hope this helps,

Fred

Jul 9, 2003 at 8:53 PM Post #3 of 23
you could wait a while to see how the new PPA is going to turn out... as said before $350 will buy you a lot of amp, tis a nice and well catered for price range

g

Jul 9, 2003 at 9:06 PM Post #4 of 23
I am sorry for putting the following question in this thread, but this is my last hope...

I became a member a few weeks ago and since then I have been trying to post a new thread... unsucessfully!

Why am I allowed to post a reply (as I'm doing right now), but not to create a new thread? Is there any special procedure to accomplish this goal? Is there a special rule for 1st-time threads? What should I do?

Any help will be most appreciated.

Thanks

Jul 9, 2003 at 10:32 PM Post #5 of 23
I just picked up a Corda HA-1 from a Headfi member a few days ago and have been pleased with its sonic performance thus far. It is a nice little amp, and seems to pair well with my HD600s.

Jul 9, 2003 at 11:33 PM Post #6 of 23
for $350 and for your HD600 - ill go buy a MG head OTL .

the latest version fixed every problem they have had in the past - i think brand new cost $350 .

i saw a few of them the past 2 weeks selling in the $200 range - this is one of the best matches for the senn HD600.

Jul 11, 2003 at 7:12 AM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by SuperMario
I am sorry for putting the following question in this thread, but this is my last hope...

I became a member a few weeks ago and since then I have been trying to post a new thread... unsucessfully!

Why am I allowed to post a reply (as I'm doing right now), but not to create a new thread? Is there any special procedure to accomplish this goal? Is there a special rule for 1st-time threads? What should I do?

Any help will be most appreciated.

Thanks

I'll look into it for you...

Thanks

Jul 11, 2003 at 4:27 PM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by freeflight
I am looking for an amp under $350 for my HD-600. Is Creek OBH 11 a good match for HD-600?

Is 11SE worth the extra money?
rolleyes.gif

Thanks.

X-Can V2 partners great with HD600

Jul 14, 2003 at 9:10 AM Post #11 of 23
The head-fi member bifcake used to frequently extole the virtues of the Creek/HD600 combo. You might want to search for his username and call up some old posts about it...

Jul 27, 2003 at 10:33 PM Post #12 of 23
The OBH-11SE is a surprisingly good for an entry-level headphone amp, albeit on the slightly expensive side. OTOH, they have recently cancelled that line, and introduced the newer ones (OBH-21/SE?), so maybe you can get them for cheap.

Jul 27, 2003 at 11:03 PM Post #13 of 23
The OBH-21SE got excellent reviews recently in What Hifi? Although that magazine does not hold much credibility for me, but even so, I've heard its a pretty decent amp.

Jul 30, 2003 at 9:41 AM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by Jeff Guidry
The head-fi member bifcake used to frequently extole the virtues of the Creek/HD600 combo. You might want to search for his username and call up some old posts about it...

I haven't been around for a while. All the posts seem to be the same. Same issues, same flames, same questions, so I had to take a break. I decided to stop by and see if anything new was happening. Alas, I'm responding to the same questions
biggrin.gif

I still have the HD580 and Creek OBH-11 combo. I like it. It's a good combo. I've heard better stuff, but not for the money.

My advice: Don't buy the SE version. It's not worth it. Get the regular version for $150.

If you really want to spend $350, the Corda HA-1 (I believe that's the number. The original model) is a NICE little amp. I wasn't too crazy about the melos.

If memory serves, the MG head was ok, but I thought it was overpriced.

Meta sounds the same as OBH-11 and I haven't heard the Gilmore amp. I'm a bit apprehensive about purchasing DYI amps.

So, that's the long and the short of it.

Jul 30, 2003 at 11:55 AM Post #15 of 23
yeah wait for the ppa ....its best amp you've never heard ...should be out pretty soon... beats out my meta by a long shot ...in detail, imaging, and soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back