is COWON D2 good for movies?
Oct 29, 2007 at 9:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

konya

Head-Fier
hi...i want to buy a d2...but i am not sure that..because screen is 2.5"...is that very small...when i watch movies,is it enjoyable...what do u think??

and is touch screen comfortable the use?out....

i am sorry for my bad english

Oct 29, 2007 at 9:32 AM Post #2 of 13
The touch screen is very easy to use in my opinion, very intuitive as well.

As for the movies, the screen is small but I don't mind because the video quality is excellent.

Oct 29, 2007 at 12:47 PM Post #3 of 13
it is okay. i found that movies did not play as well as on the creative vision or the ipod 5.g as its codec support seems somewhat of an afterthought. movies that would work would not run with the next movie encoded in exacltly the same concoing and settings.

as well, artifacting and blurring are problems i experience across the screen.

Oct 29, 2007 at 1:29 PM Post #4 of 13
Quality is undeniably good and fluid but you're not realistically going to want to watch a movie on a screen this small. Maybe a movie which is more dialogue based you can get away with it but otherwise I personally couldn't do it without getting frustrated or/and a headache.

Nov 1, 2007 at 12:38 AM Post #5 of 13
The screen is just too small for anything longer than half an hour, and I highly doubt it will be enjoyable for a movie. You'll need at least a 3.5" screen to really make it worth watching.

Nov 1, 2007 at 6:18 AM Post #6 of 13
Touch screen works well. I like it a lot.

For videos, I use this guy's batchfiles (http://iaudiophile.net/forums/showthread.php?t=15327 depending on whether its standard 4:3 or widescreen 16:9, but always use the 500kbit high quality encoding) for converting to D2's format. It is a bit complicated, but the results are great. There are also various programs that are more user-friendly, but I learned this first and its fairly simple once you setup the required.

I agree the screen is a bit small for watching a long video. I usually just watch 30 min to 1 hour TV shows. Any longer would probably not be as enjoyable.

Nov 1, 2007 at 6:22 AM Post #7 of 13
I like it. But then I'm not much of a videophile.

Nov 1, 2007 at 12:49 PM Post #8 of 13
I put musicals , Rent ,Phantom some SNL stuff. Stuff I can watch short clips when I want.

Nov 1, 2007 at 1:46 PM Post #9 of 13
Music videos and 20 minute shows are best, also because those are normally 4:3 - you loose a lot of the screen when you play 16:9 or 2.35:1 movies. My other video player is the PSP, bigger screen but even though both are 24bit 16,7 mill colors, the D2 far outdoes the PSP in terms of picture quality

Nov 1, 2007 at 11:28 PM Post #10 of 13
If you want something that is bigger than the D2's screen, but smaller than the PSP one, consider a YP-P2. The screen is fantastic and the WS resolution means no chopping up of video.

Nov 1, 2007 at 11:48 PM Post #11 of 13
Hi!
I experimented with the following program: iriverter from the following thread found at iaudiophile;
http://iaudiophile.net/forums/showthread.php?t=13864

So for testing I converted the movie King Kong by Peter Jackson King Kong ,and if I recalled , was about 300-400 mb in size. It played very well on the D2 and the SQ was very good. Very impress. Color and image are very clean/sharp.

I also converted videos I took with my digital camera,(home movies of the kids) and it is very nice. Very easy to convert too.

I do not use video on the D2 but the option is there and works very well.

If you get lonely and sentimental,you can watch pictures of your girl
cool.gif

Nov 2, 2007 at 12:17 AM Post #12 of 13
I have never quite figured why anybody would want to watch video on a 2.5" screen. Doing too much of that would cause blindness almost as certainly as doing too much of something else apparently does.
wink.gif

cheers
Simon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back