Is clicking/popping on dac normal?
Jul 15, 2014 at 7:57 AM Post #16 of 19
Hello again...

All of the popping and clicking I have experienced was with USB dacs off a PC.

I do have a receiver as well an old Onkyo 805.

I don't use the dac or pre-amp outs on this AVR normally. I use my AVR as a switch for HT and allowing me to select between the HT PC and external devices like an Oppo BD player when desired.

That said I tried this using the pre-amp outs to a head amp and didn't have any pops or clicks.

I was wondering if their are any "delay" of buffering settings in the AVR itself that might be the culprit or help you out?

Also I have notice when I use an asynch dad like the HRT MSii+ vs and ODAC, one can be used at a higher buffer setting that the other, the asynch one has to be at 25ms in JRiver to work well.

The ODAC can run at the default buffering setting with no issues noticeable.

Alex

Jul 16, 2014 at 12:52 PM Post #17 of 19
Hey guys! I'm going to tag along on this topic if that's okay. I'm having the same issue with my Schiit Bifrost using toslink as the connection. Anytime my computer goes from processing a sound (like just sitting at the desktop) to having a sound chime in (like getting an IM) the DAC clicks, then once that sound is done being played it will click again. What is the cause of this? I kinda followed along with what you guys said in the thread but my case is slightly different. For example, as long as there is any level of continuous sound it doesn't click. So if I'm listening to music and just change tracks or whatever it's fine, or if I'm playing a game it's totally solid. The clicks only happen when I'm not doing anything that produces audio and then something starts producing audio and I get a click.

I just want to make sure I'm not ruining anything on the Bifrost.

Jul 16, 2014 at 8:36 PM Post #18 of 19
  Hey guys! I'm going to tag along on this topic if that's okay. I'm having the same issue with my Schiit Bifrost using toslink as the connection. Anytime my computer goes from processing a sound (like just sitting at the desktop) to having a sound chime in (like getting an IM) the DAC clicks, then once that sound is done being played it will click again. What is the cause of this? I kinda followed along with what you guys said in the thread but my case is slightly different. For example, as long as there is any level of continuous sound it doesn't click. So if I'm listening to music and just change tracks or whatever it's fine, or if I'm playing a game it's totally solid. The clicks only happen when I'm not doing anything that produces audio and then something starts producing audio and I get a click.

Just a stab in the dark as I have no experience with Bifrost, but this clicking could be related to the DAC switching between various sampling rates. Perhaps there is a "default" value? Try experimenting with the sound settings in your system.

Jul 17, 2014 at 2:03 AM Post #19 of 19

Straight from Schiit's FAQ:

Clicking When Changing Sample Rates/Pausing/Etc.

1. It’s totally normal for our Bifrost and Gungnir DACs to click (mechanically, from the chassis) during normal operation. That’s the muting relay, doing its job. It clicks whenever the SPDIF datastream is interrupted. 

2. If it’s clicking excessively on a Mac or PC, you can reduce it by routing system sounds to the speaker on a Mac, rather than to the Schiit USB Audio Device output. On a PC, you can set system sounds to "no sounds." In both cases, using USB largely eliminates it.

3. If it’s clicking excessively on a CD transport when in pause, the CD transport has a cycling interruption in the datastream. There’s no real fix for this, except getting another CD transport. It won’t hurt the Bifrost or Gungnir, though—the relays are rated for several million cycles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back