Is bi wiring necessary?
Feb 7, 2006 at 5:59 PM Post #16 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by iancraig10
Thanks Alwayswantsmore. That really clarifies it. I wish I knew how to get pics on. I've tried but with the limit set, I'm not sure what size to cut my pics down to on Paint Shop Pro.

Basically, for the guy who wasn't sure .... there are 4 terminals on the back of bi-wireable speakers and they are linked with metal plates. To birewire, you take the plates off and connect as in the photo above.

It works a treat. (Your speakers may not be bi-wirable if there are not 4 terminals on the back)

Ian

Everything you said is correct.

Re pictures: Headfiers are using a number of free image hosting sites. [Do a right click on any picture, scroll window to properties and you can see the link (url) that hosts the picture.]

The picture above is hosted at http://imageshack.us/

[Imageshack allows you to browse your hard drive and upload any file. The picture above is 1024 x 768. I did this by creating a new file in my image application, then sizing the picture to fit. From there I saved as a jpeg on my desktop. Once the image is uploaded to imageshack, they automatically create the code needed to link to the picture. Simply copy and paste the code to head-fi. I use the forth set of code named "Hotlink for forums (1)". You also have options for imageshack to automatically resize files or create thumbnails during import.]

Feb 7, 2006 at 7:01 PM Post #18 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alwayswantmore
Re pictures: ]

Thanks for that. I feel like a daft old geezer because I couldn't figure it out and computer people seem to be so secretive ......
tongue.gif

Ian

Feb 7, 2006 at 9:14 PM Post #19 of 19
I just tried biwiring the current project. Impedance drops to 3.8 Ohms in three places, two around the woofer/box resonance, and one just above the bass/mid crossover. Above about 3 kHz, impedance rises to about 10 Ohms, and plateaus there. Length of the original cable was 20 feet. (Equipment is in another room.) I had been using 12 Ga Straight Wire Teflon 12, about 15 years old. Tried Cardas 11.5 Ga Teflon jacketed "Litz" Chassis wire.

First test was use 10 feet 11.5 Ga on the woofer, and use the Teflon 12 to the tweeter. Mild improvement, bass came up. Tried paralleling the T 12 with a pair of 11.5 Ga to the woofer, was improved again, with a pair of 11.5 to the tweeter. Definite improvement, heard things on complex recordings I had not heard before. Great success. Timbre improved, clarity improved, instruments sounded "more like themselves" and each individual line was easier to follow.

Now trying -+-+- "ribbon" configuration on the tweeter with the 11.5 ga. Jury still out on that.

I'd suggest using relatively inexpensive, heavy gauge wire for the woofer, and use the "good stuff" on the mid/tweet. Michael Percy sells 9.5 ga for $3.25/ft, which may or may not meet your definition of inexpensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back