Is BASS overrrated?
Nov 25, 2008 at 7:59 AM Post #17 of 53
Good quality bass is in no way overrated. Unfortunately I've only heard it from speakers so far. I've not heard a headphone yet which can give a sense of the same impact as speakers without muddying up the sound.

The GS1000 I heard did definitely show potential, but I didn't hear it long enough too be sure.

Nov 25, 2008 at 8:00 AM Post #18 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
um. you do realize frequency of 1000 should be high mids or treble range, right?

When clarity enters the conversation, frequencies of about 1000 or above are usually (not always) the ones I see discussed (human voice, violin, piano, guitar, etc.) in any detail.

In other words, yes, I realize.

Nov 25, 2008 at 8:03 AM Post #19 of 53
I loath the self-proclaimed bassheads (though this sentiment is reversed for the people I know in real life) because it doesn't seem to matter to them what the song is as long as it has a good thumping bass beat. On head-fi, I understand that bassheads just appreciate bass more and don't necessarily disregard the rest. I am okay with bass myself as long as its clear and adds to the song rather than dominates it.

Nov 25, 2008 at 8:04 AM Post #20 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taikero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When clarity enters the conversation, frequencies of about 1000 or above are usually (not always) the ones I see discussed (human voice, violin, piano, guitar, etc.) in any detail.

In other words, yes, I realize.

kk just double checking, because many people don't realize that there's more tonal differences between 20hz to 60 hz compared to 10000hz and 16000hz
tongue.gif

Nov 25, 2008 at 1:42 PM Post #22 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I want it all, bass and detail that is smooth!

Which minimum headphone that does it?

Nov 25, 2008 at 1:55 PM Post #23 of 53
Sorry to change the subject a bit, but thought it relates to wat I wanted to ask. I'm looking for IEMS (under $150) that delivers bass and doesn't disappoint in other areas (mids/highs)! If someone could help me find something with bass and clarity I would appreciate it, THANKS!!!

Nov 25, 2008 at 2:11 PM Post #24 of 53
Certainly subwoofer type bass is over-rated and probably ruins the presentation more than anything. Not sure one would equate bass with fullness of sound but any presentation without a fullness of sound always sounds anemic to me. Yes, Etys have bass and you can hear it but they seem to lack a fullness of sound which really draws me into the music and fun factor. Of course all of this is subjective.

Nov 25, 2008 at 3:03 PM Post #25 of 53
I personally think that cutting out bass in favour of mids and high-end clarity, detail, instrument separation, "layering" and whatnot is a form of severe audio snobbery.
Trying to make it sound better than life, more detailed, more dynamic is not doing any justice to real music. It can be fascinating in it's own way, but it is nothing like real life.

Besides that, some music is made to be enjoyed with as much bass as you can possibly muster. It's part of the experience, it is meant to be that way.
A good PA can do that, but hardly any so called high-end audiophile setup can IME. It lacks bass.
Regae sounds better on my car stereo.

Nov 25, 2008 at 3:13 PM Post #26 of 53
It seems to me that the problem with bass, because it has so much energy, is that it is sometimes difficult to integrate it into the total sonic picture smoothly. Bass tends to call attention to itself.
Sandy.

Nov 25, 2008 at 3:44 PM Post #27 of 53
Is Bass overrated? No, and in speaker or live setting it can physically connect the listener to the music. Not only do we hear it but we also feel it.

Is Bass that is poorly reproduced and/or out of balance with the rest of the composition overrated? IMHO it is..

To me, Bass and Treble both are used to set the emotion of the song. One without the other or one over done is distracting and makes it hard to figure out what’s trying to be conveyed to the listener.

That's why I've always been satisfied with the Ety sound. The bass is not as deep as some of the other IEM's but it's very fast, tight and balanced as opposed to a more bloated and undefined sound in other's. I'm hoping the Custom-3's I ordered will raise the bar and provide a deeper Bass and maintain the tight well defined nature of the Ety.

As for recordings
I was listening to Bucketheads Colma last night. The Bass is so overwhelming in some passages that I found myself struggling to hear what it is that I appreciate, his guitar work. This was with a set of HF-1's so I can't imagine it through my HD600's.
confused_face_2.gif
In my Car these passages are almost unlistenable. To me this is just a poor recording effort on the part of the studio and the person composing.

Oooops sorry almost turned into a rant
redface.gif

Nov 25, 2008 at 3:48 PM Post #28 of 53
Hey everyone, I'm a new registrant here but not new to the forums. I must thank you all for the excuse to spend money, and my ears thank you as well!

While I am a fan of good bass, I'm not a fan of excessive bass. The problem with getting a lot of bass like that in a car is that it is so easy to do. With cabin gain under 80Hz going through the roof(no pun intended) you don't need ported reinforcement for the low frequencies like you do in the room of a house. With that being the case, a kid with $300 extra bucks in his pocket can accomplish a lot. Honestly, I'd never heard rap without the excessive bass and since I've heard it with a quality system recently I'm now open to yet another genre of music.

Personally, I prefer a flat bass response that falls well below the range that you can hear and into the realm of feeling. That's the goal with both the car and the home theater system I'm building. Dual 12" transmission line for the home, single 12" sealed for the car. I notice that with a system that doesn't reproduce lows well I will turn the volume up MUCH more than I do when I'm listening to a system that has good low-end.

While I realize this is pretty much impossible with IEMs I do like definition to my lows.

Nov 25, 2008 at 3:56 PM Post #29 of 53
I find amusing how some people want to force others to like what they like and to have the same personal tastes, despite the fact that Head-fi is made of thousand of people from all around the world that have totally different music tastes and not necessarily hear music they way others do.

That said, I admit that some people are called bass-heads simply because it's what most common headphones and speakers lack. So when they first hear quantity bass, they like it. I was one of those.

But, after joining Head-fi and having taken some small steps into high-end headphones world, I recognize that every part of the spectrum has its own place and "power quantity" for each kind of music.

And one of the things that I like the most about the headphones I own is being able to hear the full range of frequency how it's supposed to sound.

That's just my honest opinion though.You might think differently, and I respect that.

Nov 25, 2008 at 5:33 PM Post #30 of 53
One reason why I like leaner bass is that, if the headphones has lots of bass (which is "neutral" to bassheads), it almost always overpower the other spectrums - highs recessed, mids recessed but with mid-bass hump..... In nature, say, thunders, you get the bass but also the crisp cracking sound when it strikes. Hard to get that in basshead headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back