Is Audio Technica's CM7 worth double the price of Sony MDR E888SP?
Mar 12, 2005 at 6:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

dallasstar

100+ Head-Fier
Hi. I notice that Audio Technica CM7 and Sony MDR E888SP earbuds both get lots of praise on Headfi. However, I also noticed that the CM7 is double the price. Would you guys say that the CM7 is better than the E888SP? If so, is it enough of an improvement to warrant double the price? I'm having a hard time making up my mind between these. My ipod just came in the mail
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 12, 2005 at 8:24 AM Post #2 of 11
Having owned both earphones I would say that the CM7 is definitely better than the 888's in terms of build and sound. If you do decide to buy the CM7 just remember to give them plenty of burn in as it is required to bring out the real sound of the earphones.
biggrin.gif

Mar 12, 2005 at 8:35 AM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Decreate
Having owned both earphones I would say that the CM7 is definitely better than the 888's in terms of build and sound. If you do decide to buy the CM7 just remember to give them plenty of burn in as it is required to bring out the real sound of the earphones.
biggrin.gif

Could you elaberate on the differences in sound quality? I'm kind of intrested in the CM7's.

Mar 12, 2005 at 10:44 AM Post #4 of 11
In terms of sound quality, I really wouldt say that they're better, but not worth twice as much; but the build quality on the ATs are definitely better. Sony earbuds aren't known for their reliability: I've owned the E888s, E828s, EX-71s, and another pair that came with my DEJ1000 PCDP, and they've all failed on me - except my second/current pair of EX71s that I don't use... wouldn't surprise me if I find them broken the next time I try them out.

And I'm not saying this because I'm trying to sell my ATH-CM7s... they really are nice earbuds - it's just I prefer canalphones.

~KS

Mar 12, 2005 at 11:26 PM Post #5 of 11
- My 2c on this: I’ll try to be a bit more specific (if I can).

ATH-CM7ti: I have mixed feelings about these ear-buds that range b/w contentment, sadness and anger.

I find them as portable ideal: on the bus, train, walking down the road, etc. – nice. They don’t isolate as canal phones, but somehow the music is not effect by the environment much as a pair of Grado would, even at moderate volume.

There’s a certain quality in the way the sound in the music is produced that you know where you put your money. The speed, dynamics, soundstage and balance, all sound pretty good to me. If I had to describe these buds in a word, the word that comes to mind is “neat”. They’re not as forward or in your face as the Grado, which is not a bad thing sometimes, making them less fatiguing and kind of relaxing yet involving (definitely not laid back). I particularly like how the vocals sound, and the piano and guitar instruments – I often have just to refrain myself from singing along in public.

However, I’m also sad because there is a notable deficiency in the bass region, spoiling what could otherwise be an excellent ear-phone. I really enjoy them, but will probably not keep them very long due to the bass. See there is a difference b/w lack of and anemic to the point I’m trying to make here: they don’t lack bass. The bass is good – not boomy or bloated and not for bassheads but plenty. But, with certain songs the bass is very anemic making the music sound not as it should (c*** basically). Example: listen to Money – Pink Floyd, and you’d think they even bass-y - listen to the last record of Stereofonics (can’t remember the title) and you’d think: What where’s the bass in that part of the song. It’s a pity: if wasn’t for the bass these buds could kick some serious as**s

Also a bit angry because I feel like cheated; there is a clear deficiency with these phones, and don’t know what to think of ATH for releasing a product that is clearly deficient. The engineer (or whatever the name of the profession of making ear-phones is) that approved the product should be named and shamed, fired, sued, fined, and kicked in the nuts - hard! MORE BASS!! Damn it! (ah, feel better now
tongue.gif
). But after all, they’re ear-buds and maybe you can’t squeeze blood from a turnip - I don’t really know.

Sony MDR E888SP: sorry, never heard them; don’t even know what they look like. Someone who had them both commented that he/she found the CM7ti to have better bass than the E888, which to me means the sonys have some serious anemic bass - Are they worth twice as much as the sony? Well, it depends how much is twice as much for you. Probably not… but for me the little extra quality and clarity etc. that make all the difference is worth every cents.

hope it helps a bit -

The decision is yours... for me, the quest continues
frown.gif

ok - I'm off... have a nice evening
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 13, 2005 at 12:16 AM Post #6 of 11
CuriousVoiger, I am quite puzzled about your explanation of the CM7ti bass. You say that the bass is not for bass heads, but that there is plenty of it, & that the bass is anemic in some songs and that the headphones need more bass. I suppose everything you have said is not neccisarily controdictory, but it is counterintuitive, to me, so I would appreciate some clarification if that is possible. Are you saying that the impact is not there but that the bass that is there is tight, quick and sharp? That the bass that is present sounds good, but that it isn't impactuful enough? That it doesn't have enough presence in the music, or just some music? I'm just a little confused about all that.

Mar 13, 2005 at 3:03 AM Post #7 of 11
In regards to the bass, I would say the mid bass is not very present therefore if you have songs which needs the mid bass to make them sound full then you'll basically find them sounding quite anemic. In my case I would avoid listening to albums such as In Flames - Reroute to Remain with my CM7 ti. Nevertheless this earphone definitely has more bass then the 888' s and also the high end doesn't sound as harsh while still being very clear.

Mar 13, 2005 at 3:42 AM Post #8 of 11
Ok, up front, I am going to say that I have never listened to the E888s yet, but I do have a the Eggo D66, and I believe that they are pretty similar in how they sound.

I think both phones are representative of how each manufacturer thinks a high end portable phone should sound. Each company has their "signature" sound, and it just boils down to which one you perfer more. If you like the Sony sound charachteristic more, you will like the E888 more, and if you like the Audio Technica sound charachteristic more, you will like the CM7 more. After listening to lower end Sony earbuds for most of my life, I find the Audio Technica sound more to my liking. They sound warmer than Sony, and the combination of a Sony source and Audio Technica phone seems to be the perfect combination for me. For my home system, I have a Sony CD changer connected via a Pimeta to a A900 headphone. For all the CD3000 lovers out there, I think the E888 or the Eggo D66 would be prefect for them.

As for the lack of bass, yeah both of these headphones are not for the bassheads on this board. They don't have the SLAM that bass heads like, nor the bloated monotone subwoofer charachteristic that they love. The bass is more musical, and very balanced to the rest of the music. I find the bass just right for most of the music that I listen to, and a little lacking in such music as Eurobeat, and Rap. These phones are not Grooveizers (spelling?). For Pop music (JPOP
biggrin.gif
) these phones are perfect.

The Audio Technica phones do need a lot of burning in. I agree that they do require about 100 hours, which is 2.5 times longer than the standard 40 hours that I hear being quoted a lot for other phones.

Both phones are on the expensive end for portables, especially earbuds. So consider your musical preferences, your sound charachteristic prefereneces, and the equipment that you have before deciding. And if you buy them and end up not liking them, theres always the For Sale section of this board, or you can always turn on Mega Bass.

Mar 13, 2005 at 6:52 PM Post #10 of 11
-> PTheD:

Yes… sorry… you’re right; I see it is a bit confusing – I’m afraid I don’t know all the terminologies used and their exact meanings; this is so difficult for me. I wanted to note the deficiency in the bass without conveying a too negative comment of the CM7ti, because they don’t deserve it.
Quote:

Are you saying that the impact is not there but that the bass that is there is tight, quick and sharp? That the bass that is present sounds good, but that it isn't impactuful enough? That it doesn't have enough presence in the music, or just some music?

When I read comments about the Etys lamenting the lack of bass, but also being tight, quick, etc., to me that means it doesn’t quite extend or isn’t as present as one would like it to be. The CM7s don’t lack bass in that respect, imo. Plenty maybe is a wrong word, I guess present is more what I mean - not impactuful yet consistent with the rest of the music (when is there, that is).

I can hear you saying: “so why are you saying the bass is anemic?” I think <Decreate> post pretty much nailed what I was trying to portray. See, I would even settle for less bass but have it everywhere it should be than how it is now. Heck, I would even take the bloated, boomy, push-everything-back-and-meddle-the-rest-up bass of the EX51 in the mids than how it is now (I can’t help taking cheap shots at the EX51/71, can I?).

The Stereophonic last record is a fantastic song but on the ATH-7ti doesn’t sound as fantastic because a part in the bass (mids?) is very anemic - whereas in other records the songs don’t seem to be effected at all. Some people may say it’s the ATH sound signature - I don’t know, to me it’s a clear deficiency; It’s a pity because I really like these buds, but will probably not keep them because of this.

Hope it clarifies a bit
(man, I need to get some English language writing lessons)
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 13, 2005 at 9:32 PM Post #11 of 11
I believe the bass on the CM7's can be impactful, deep, & something bassheads would love. It depends on the fit.

If you have big ears then these things will fit you and the bass is powerful & deep. If you have smaller ears then the buds will hang out a bit because of the weight of the buds & he bass will seem weaker. The fit issue is very common with all earbuds & canalphones.

If you have a similar fit with the CM7's and E888's then the sound of the CM7's is worth double the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back