Is audio-technica ATH-A700 good for rock ?
Nov 27, 2006 at 5:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

sawyer

100+ Head-Fier
Hello Head-fier,

I'm planning to buy a new headphone and my friend has recommended the ATH-A700/A500. I mainly listen to progressive/hard/metal rock, so is ATH-A700/A-500 suitable for my taste of music ? I will use the headphone with the source directs from the soundcard, without amp.
eggosmile.gif

Sorry for my bad English, I apologize if made any language mistake.Warm greetings from Vietnam.

Thanks...

3000smile.gif
3000smile.gif

Nov 27, 2006 at 12:17 PM Post #3 of 19
Yes, it's great for every kind of music.

Nov 27, 2006 at 2:09 PM Post #4 of 19
I will answer that after my son opens his pair for Christmas and tells me how they work for him.

Nov 27, 2006 at 2:28 PM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bones13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will answer that after my son opens his pair for Christmas and tells me how they work for him.

That's a great christmas gift
3000smile.gif

Nov 27, 2006 at 3:34 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bones13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

can you post some impressions as well?

thanks!!

Nov 27, 2006 at 5:10 PM Post #7 of 19
It should be good, though Grado or Alessandro headphones are more rocking, but they are open design so computer fans disturb listening bliss.

Nov 27, 2006 at 5:43 PM Post #8 of 19
Thanks for your kind replies.

How does A700 compare with Grado SR80s/125s. I've heard some good things about them. My budget is around $120, and I'm open for other options. Any suggestion/recommendation would be appreciated. Sorry if I ask many boring questions, but in Vietnam, 100$ is like 1000$ in US, so I must judge carefully before make decision.

Thanks for your help
smily_headphones1.gif

(Sorry, my bad English, sigh)

Nov 27, 2006 at 6:26 PM Post #9 of 19
Grados are really you-hate-it-or-love-it headphone, because some ears pick their bright and aggressive highs are very piercing. Gotta listen before buying.

But Alessandros (modified Grados) are different story, they are more calm but still rocking and more versatile than normal Grados. Have to order overseas though, can be bought only from Alessandros website.

I dont know how it compares with AT A700, except A700 is closed headphone and has wiiide soundstage, and Grados/Alessandros are open headphone and has small and intimate (in-your-head banging) soundstage.

Nov 27, 2006 at 7:13 PM Post #10 of 19
I cannot tell you much about grado's but I can certainly tell you that the A700's are very balanced cans and do a good job at everything thrown at it.
All you need is a source with an EQ, and preferably atleast a portable amp.

I liked the sound without the amp as well, but I much prefer it with the LDM+ so obviously I wouldnt be using it without the amp. But if you dont want to spend on an amp, the 700's can be driven easily with portable sources.

The most impressive aspect IMO about the 700's, as I had mentioned earlier in a review, is the instrument seperation. This is excellent if you are a musician and would like to listen to what each person is doing. For overall rock out head banging fun, as many would suggest, the grado's mite do a better job.

And one thing I can tell you, being a drummer, drums sound the best on these headphones, IMO I havent heard a better sounding can when it comes to drums/percussion.

The only drawback IMO is that it is very picky on the quality of the source. If you have a not so good mp3 player, or soundcard, you can distinctly make out the crappiness of the source. This can be annoying at times, and this is where the amp helps. Mp3 players tend to mess up stuff at higher volumes, keep it low and amp it up, sound is clean.

Nov 27, 2006 at 8:28 PM Post #11 of 19
I own a pair of A700's and to my ears they sound good with rock or metal. I can't tell you how they compare with the Grado SR80s/125s since I've never had the chance to audition a pair. The A700's as mentioned earlier has a good soundstage and level of detail. They are also very comfortable as I can wear them for hours without any discomfort. Being that the A700's are closed cans, they also isolate quite well. They don't require an amp to sound great as they are easy to drive.

Nov 28, 2006 at 4:32 PM Post #12 of 19
Thanks for all your replies
tongue.gif

If there's no better option, I will order an ATH A-700 next week. I also searched the forum and found some posts that said A-700 is good for game and movie, but not for music, those made me confused.
There's no local store that sell these products, I can't try before buying.
mad.gif
blink.gif
blink.gif

Nov 28, 2006 at 4:50 PM Post #13 of 19
not sure about the a700, but I did own the A900s which are preety similar from what I hear. I alo heard every grado from the SR line. The A900 are just so much better in every aspect, aevery type of music, comfort, looks, bass, everything. the best fun you can have with your clothes on
smily_headphones1.gif

In fact, I sold mine after moving to the K340 which are very very diffrent, but I am thinking about getting a pait of A500/700/900 somewhen in the near future since I loved them so much.

Nov 28, 2006 at 5:03 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by KT88 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
not sure about the a700, but I did own the A900s which are preety similar from what I hear. I alo heard every grado from the SR line. The A900 are just so much better in every aspect, aevery type of music, comfort, looks, bass, everything. the best fun you can have with your clothes on
smily_headphones1.gif

In fact, I sold mine after moving to the K340 which are very very diffrent, but I am thinking about getting a pait of A500/700/900 somewhen in the near future since I loved them so much.

Thanks a lot ... I apologize for asking many boring question, just because I cannot try these headphones before buying.
All your suggestions are really appreciated. Thank you, Head-fiers.
3000smile.gif
580smile.gif
280smile.gif

Nov 28, 2006 at 5:18 PM Post #15 of 19
Well I do not think they are that great with music, I use them as my computer cans, this means 70% game and 30 % music etc. I would never pick these over my sr225´s or my sennheisers for music.
In fact I think they are all to airy to be used for Rock (this is where my grados kick in), I think they lack that certain punch and tightness you need for Rock. But off course this is a matter of taste, but I can tell you this, and that is that most people in here agree with me
wink.gif

I think if you need a pair of cans that are Ok with everything, you should go with the sennheiser 595 or the sony xd400. But off cource this depends on how much they cost in Vietnam, here in EU - Denmark I can say the sennheisers are cheaper than the a700.

But for Rock then the ms-1 or the sr225/HF-1 are unbeatable
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back