Is ATH M50x the best headphone under $150?
Feb 29, 2016 at 5:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

drckml

New Head-Fier
I couldn't decide on what to get. But im close to ordering this one. I see a lot of positive feedbacks on this one.

Also can we also settle if Sony MDR-V6/7506 is better than this or not?(if MDR-V6/7506 do happen to be better than this, then I think this is not for me.)

Please help me decide for my very first decent headphone.

Feb 29, 2016 at 6:45 PM Post #4 of 22
Two more you should consider and read about are the SoundMAGIC HP150 and the (fairly portable) AKG K545. Both are close to your $150 price-point and both are, in my opinion, superior to the m50x.

Feb 29, 2016 at 7:40 PM Post #5 of 22
I couldn't decide on what to get. But im close to ordering this one. I see a lot of positive feedbacks on this one.

Also can we also settle if Sony MDR-V6/7506 is better than this or not?(if MDR-V6/7506 do happen to be better than this, then I think this is not for me.)

Please help me decide for my very first decent headphone.

My best guess and two cents
(I own the MDR-V6 and Gemini HSR-1000)
I would say the V6/7506 and the ATH-M50X are not really the same type of headphone.

The ATH-M50X is more geared for the end user, someone that is looking to enjoy music (with a lot of bass).
Not really concentrating one any details, just enjoying the over all sound

Where the V6/7506 is more for analyzing or creating audio, sound needs to be a little boring so as to be able to concentrate on details.

Still think the Takstar Pro 80 is the better buy.

Feb 29, 2016 at 8:16 PM Post #6 of 22
Thanks for advice.
Actually, getting these headphone that you recommended me right now is impossible. If I am correct, they're also called Gemini DJ HSR-1000 right?
I found out that these things costs only $45 and I was so shocked when Amazon and everyone on the internet sells them for twice or thrice the amount now. I would gladly get them if they still cost their retail price. But If I'm spending $90, I don't think I want to spend it to them.

Feb 29, 2016 at 9:07 PM Post #8 of 22

Gemini DJ HSR-1000 aka the one you recommended me costs x2-x3 now. It originally cost $45. I don't feel like spending $90 on these. 

Check this out instead http://www.amazon.com/Basstyle-TH-5001-Professional-Headphones-Broadcasting/dp/B00NTVWZY6/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1456797933&sr=8-8&keywords=basstyle

Mar 1, 2016 at 2:48 AM Post #9 of 22
I checked it and I seem to see a lot of comments, "I recieve the product for unbiased review."

Usually these kind of things on amazon are shady or have questionable quality.

Thanks for the recommendation thoug.

Mar 1, 2016 at 4:42 PM Post #10 of 22
I haven't heard the m50x, but I own the m50 and I bought and demoed the m40x intensely before I gifted them to a friend and I actually prefer the m40x which has more of an even sound to it. Cant comment on the other cans tho. Another cheap brand with good stuff actually is Superlux. I own several Superlux cans and do like em. Unfortunately I haven't heard the HD 660, yet, but they seem pretty good for the price.

Mar 1, 2016 at 8:24 PM Post #11 of 22
Coming from a past owner of m50x's, I would avoid them. They are overhyped and are quite fatiguing after only an hour or so ( for me at least) let alone the cheap plastic build quality and uncomfortable stock pads. If you do decided on them, do yourself a favor and pick up a pair of Brainwavz hm5 pads (I personally like the hybrid pads). My recommendation is the Philips SHP9500 if you can afford to use an open back headphone. If not, a very solid headphone for under $150 is the Takstar Pro 80 (like mentioned above from others) Or if you want the same headphone but maybe a bit more comfortable, you can pick up the Kingston HyperX Cloud II which is the same headphone but made for gaming because it has an included boom mic. BUT extremely comfortable.

Mar 1, 2016 at 8:27 PM Post #12 of 22
  Coming from a past owner of m50x's, I would avoid them. They are overhyped and are quite fatiguing after only an hour or so ( for me at least) let alone the cheap plastic build quality and uncomfortable stock pads. If you do decided on them, do yourself a favor and pick up a pair of Brainwavz hm5 pads (I personally like the hybrid pads). My recommendation is the Philips SHP9500 if you can afford to use an open back headphone. If not, a very solid headphone for under $150 is the Takstar Pro 80 (like mentioned above from others) Or if you want the same headphone but maybe a bit more comfortable, you can pick up the Kingston HyperX Cloud II which is the same headphone but made for gaming because it has an included boom mic. BUT extremely comfortable.

Did you by chance try out the electrical tape mod for the pads? AAK fold up several pads of electrical tape and add them between the driver and padding?

Mar 1, 2016 at 8:31 PM Post #13 of 22
  Did you by chance try out the electrical tape mod for the pads? AAK fold up several pads of electrical tape and add them between the driver and padding?

No, is that suppose to help with the comfort? I would happily throw down $20 on a nice pair of HM5 pads versus some electrical tape in my opinion. plus hm5 pads fit tons of other headphones so if you were ever to get new headphones you could possibly use them. 

Mar 1, 2016 at 8:43 PM Post #14 of 22
Here are some headphones I have owned that cost $150 or less that I like more than the M50x.

open: STAX SR-30, Philips SHP9500, Sennheiser HD 590 Prestige, Audio-Technica ATH-AD700

semi-open: Koss KTXPRO1

closed: Yamaha HPH-MT220, Audio-Technica ATH-M40x, Audio-Technica ATH-M30x, Sony MDR-V6, Sony MDR-7506

There are many more, but these are the most notable ones. Note that some may no longer be available for under $150 or even at all. Generally, to get the best sound for your money, it's a good idea to look around the used market, as this will let you reach into higher price points at the same budget.

A few comments:

The MT220 blows away other closed headphones I have heard and even many open ones.

The KTXPRO1 is sometimes the most exciting headphone I've heard, yet it only costs ~$15!

The SHP9500 benefits from this modification. The AD700 sounds similar, but not quite as good to me.

The SR-30 is uncomfortable and not the most neutral headphone out there, but has a ridiculously transparent sound.

The M40x and M30x are less bassy than the M50x and sound better to me...but if I were to equalize all of them, my preference may change.

Both Sony headphones are far too bright and harsh for general listening, so if you go with either of those, I would advise generous equalization.

Mar 1, 2016 at 8:44 PM Post #15 of 22

No, is that suppose to help with the comfort? I would happily throw down $20 on a nice pair of HM5 pads versus some electrical tape in my opinion. plus hm5 pads fit tons of other headphones so if you were ever to get new headphones you could possibly use them. 

Yeah it helps with both comfort and tightning up the bass as well. Reason its popular is because its pretty dang cheap to do. Most people have some laying around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back