Is anything better than the ER4S?
Feb 8, 2009 at 4:12 AM Post #3 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewho /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is anything better than the ER4S? I've tried the Shure, but I couldn't get over the discomfort of the wire.

With all due respect, this post makes little sense. It's all so subjective, "better" has no real meaning. You should read some of the threads, do some research, and you will get an answer, sort of. The topic is way too general. Also, how is a wire not comfortable? Are you talking about the cable?

Try the search function, and you will get more than enough data to make a buying decision on IEMs.

Feb 8, 2009 at 4:36 AM Post #4 of 29
Yeah "better" is a relative term. Better how?

Look at the ER4S, say this is what I like and this is what I don't like. Which IEM options retain what I like but improve upon the aspects that I don't like. Whichever IEM(s) that happens to be is subjectively better.

So...

What do you like about the ER4S?

What don't you like about the ER4S?

How would you like the disliked aspects changed?

Feb 8, 2009 at 5:54 AM Post #7 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by inukage0029 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sennheiser IE8s. Great, balanced sound that works with almost any musical taste.

While lacking some of the detail and most of the isolation the ER 4S offers.

Again, define better. Soundwise, nothing undebatably better than the ER 4S exists. Same goes for SE530, IE8, TF10, W3, UE11, etc.

Feb 8, 2009 at 6:11 AM Post #8 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by inukage0029 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sennheiser IE8s. Great, balanced sound that works with almost any musical taste.

I use IE8 as well as Westone 3, the only advantage of IE8 is the large sound stage - speaker like, due to its dynamic driver.
but in terms of detail and clarity, it sucks compared to Westone 3 or ER4...if you talk of balance, ER4 beats it right there...IE8 has a very strong overwhelming bass even on lowest setting, which affects its highs, similar to SE530s... e.g. when listening to rock, the bass instruments are brought more forward than vocal...that's how it sounds like... - certainly not balanced

Feb 9, 2009 at 1:07 AM Post #9 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Feather225 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use IE8 as well as Westone 3, the only advantage of IE8 is the large sound stage - speaker like, due to its dynamic driver.
but in terms of detail and clarity, it sucks compared to Westone 3 or ER4...if you talk of balance, ER4 beats it right there...IE8 has a very strong overwhelming bass even on lowest setting, which affects its highs, similar to SE530s... e.g. when listening to rock, the bass instruments are brought more forward than vocal...that's how it sounds like... - certainly not balanced

W3 is not a balanced IEM. Far from. SE530 is much more balanced. Perhaps more boring than W3 but certainly more balanced.

SE530: slight u-shape frequency response.

W3: V-shaped where midrange suffers on many types of music.

Feb 9, 2009 at 1:28 AM Post #10 of 29
Probably not provided you measure response accuracy the way Etymotic does.
regular_smile .gif

Feb 9, 2009 at 2:41 AM Post #11 of 29
I'm very new to this expensive hobby but I'll add my two cents. I had a pair of ER4P connected to my iPod and felt they were a little cold. So then I go and buy a $100 amp which will remain unnamed. At first I felt it made a huge difference, but after a few weeks it lacked the warmth I was looking for. At the time I thought an amp was an amp, but then I realized I was wrong. I sold the ER4P's and the unnamed amp and purchased a set of Shure SE530's. Now I knew I was on my way. There great in many ways and at first I thought they were perfect, but I wanted more, so I purchased a Ray Samuels P-51 Mustang. Well that is a great combo. The Amp is fantastic, the Shures are fantastic and I'm in heaven. But then I realized that an amp, a good amp, can make a big difference in what and how you hear your music. So then I went out and purchased another pair of Ety's, this time the ER4S and I love them, there different than the Shure SE530. There even in the sense that they do what they do very well much like the Shures do what they do very well.
So what's my point? I guess it's no one IEM will do everything you want it to do all the time, at least I think that's my point. Well anyway enjoy.

Feb 9, 2009 at 4:30 AM Post #12 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
W3 is not a balanced IEM. Far from. SE530 is much more balanced. Perhaps more boring than W3 but certainly more balanced.

SE530: slight u-shape frequency response.

W3: V-shaped where midrange suffers on many types of music.

I never said W3 is a balanced IEM, I was saying in terms of detail and clarity, it is much better than IE8... and ER4 wins in term of balance.

Feb 9, 2009 at 10:00 AM Post #13 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by ibis99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm very new to this expensive hobby but I'll add my two cents. I had a pair of ER4P connected to my iPod and felt they were a little cold. So then I go and buy a $100 amp which will remain unnamed. At first I felt it made a huge difference, but after a few weeks it lacked the warmth I was looking for. At the time I thought an amp was an amp, but then I realized I was wrong. I sold the ER4P's and the unnamed amp and purchased a set of Shure SE530's. Now I knew I was on my way. There great in many ways and at first I thought they were perfect, but I wanted more, so I purchased a Ray Samuels P-51 Mustang. Well that is a great combo. The Amp is fantastic, the Shures are fantastic and I'm in heaven. But then I realized that an amp, a good amp, can make a big difference in what and how you hear your music. So then I went out and purchased another pair of Ety's, this time the ER4S and I love them, there different than the Shure SE530. There even in the sense that they do what they do very well much like the Shures do what they do very well.
So what's my point? I guess it's no one IEM will do everything you want it to do all the time, at least I think that's my point. Well anyway enjoy.

Life journal
tongue.gif

Feb 9, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #15 of 29
I'll just toss out the Phonak PFE as a potential "better" option. With the gray filter, the frequency response is near the same but with a less consistent top end. However, the PFE offers more energy in note, transparency between source and what you hear, and more bass output and extension. I would go as far to say that most common people demoing the PFE and ER4S would probably chose the PFE most of the time mainly because of greater energy, dynamics, and bass output. ER4S still wins in balance but not by a long shot. The PFE is quite good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back