Is anyone "unhappy" with their Super.fi 5 Pro?
Jun 3, 2006 at 5:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

dvallere

500+ Head-Fier
I had these last January but for a very short period of time (less than a month, with only about 2-4 hours listening each week). I really loved the sound/portability/etc. and am considering buying a pair, but was wondering if anyone has any long-term gripes with them. I've read some of the threads of cracking issues, which I hope will not be an issue (but of course warranty ought to cover that).

Thanks.

D.

Jun 3, 2006 at 5:02 PM Post #2 of 21
I've had mine since January and have had no problems with them. Granted...my ears aren't as "trained" as most ppl here..but for me, no probs

Jun 3, 2006 at 5:35 PM Post #3 of 21
No problems here. I love the sound
icon10.gif

Jun 3, 2006 at 5:40 PM Post #4 of 21
I had some and while I didn't dislike them per se, some things about them that forced me to send them back. One, they're absolutely enormous, and they were constantly rubbing against my pinnae and ear canal, and two, the midrange, especially vocals, sounded dim and recessed, and I felt the need to turn the volume up to hear them. (Which made the rest of the music too loud.)

My Shure E4Gs remedy both of these problems.

Edit: I never realized how utterly huge the 5 Pros are. Look at this video: http://www.ultimateears.com/videos/#

I can fit the entire body of my E4Gs into my ear! I also don't remember my 5 Pros being anywhere near that easy to insert.

Jun 3, 2006 at 6:01 PM Post #5 of 21
I was beginning to be fed up with the 5 Pros over a course of almost half a year, but buying a iM716 was the final straw for it. Now I realize what people say when the bass is sloppy, muddy, and there is a great bass hump covering the rest of the frequencies.

Along with the extremely poor housing construction (cracking, anyone?), the whole 'carrot-sticking-out-of-your-ear thing,' the blown off mid and high frequencies, and the really annoying thing that the vocals have somehow been pushed outside the studio and sung behind the door makes me a VERY unhappy camper with the 5 Pros.

Ironically though, the UE-10 sound sig is supposed to be like the iM716, so...we'll see.

Jun 3, 2006 at 6:02 PM Post #6 of 21
I'm usually happy with whatever i have til I get a taste of something better
biggrin.gif

Jun 3, 2006 at 7:42 PM Post #7 of 21
Me too, but I actually used the UM2 after this, and still mostly preferred the Super.fi. I do like the sticking out of the ear part because I found the UM2 (and other little iems) hard to maneuver when trying to do that twist-to-insert thing.

I'd go for the im716 but I don't want to get involved in the crazy Etymotic filter-swapping thing.

Jun 3, 2006 at 9:52 PM Post #9 of 21
Nope; I just followed that suggestion from a few head-fiers who told me so.

As for the filters, the iM716 comes with an extra set, and I don't see how they can wear down inless than a year or three, so you're safe to try them. It changed my life listening to those white things
etysmile.gif

Jun 3, 2006 at 10:17 PM Post #11 of 21
I'd think that the cracking issue would be a concern. SQ-wise they're incredibly agressive, as you can see from the headroom chart. Now if you like their sound then you should consider them heavily, but the cracking issue is a big problem in my perspective.

Jun 4, 2006 at 1:41 PM Post #13 of 21
i tried a pair from the local Apple store (returned them just before 2-week deadline) while i waited for my new ES3s to arrive. i was very underwhelmed with the super.fi 5s. the detail was ok, but i found treble very harsh/sibilant and the bass only ok. i was also unhappy with the seal creatd by the stock tips. i suppose if i had intended to keep them i would have found better fitting foam tips instead.

Jun 4, 2006 at 9:53 PM Post #14 of 21
Funny I didn't know there was a cracking issue...until mine cracked and I read this thread
biggrin.gif

Mine are at UE right now, I'm awaiting a replacement. But while I had them, I loved them, no problems with the sound. They've become my primary cans, despite owning an SR60, DT880, and a PX100.

That said, when I'm ready for my next IEM, I'm either going with the XXX or the E500, or custom.

One thing is for sure: like all IEMs, it is all about getting the best seal and tip size for your ear. Before I finally settled on the small tips, and figured out how to get a consistently good seal, I had all sorts of complaints. But when you get that good seal, they sound fantastic.

Jun 4, 2006 at 11:50 PM Post #15 of 21
To me, the sound was fine, but the fit just was not acceptable. They are big. They are designed to be because they are not intended to go as deep into the ear as the e4c.

That being said, maybe you should wait for the E500s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back