Is anyone having problems with UE's cabling?
Jan 27, 2009 at 2:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

freedomflyer

Head-Fier
Hey everyone - I recently bought a pair of super.fi 5 pro's (used lightly) and I'm wondering if any of you have had problems with the little metal piece of wire that keeps the cable in shape around your ear snapping. Mine just snapped, and now it tore the sheathing and so now there is a little wire that is exposed. I've put a small piece of electricians tape around it and it does an okay job of keeping it in place, but I'm wondering if UE would accept a return to fix the wire?
I haven't abused them, I'm just using them.
Thanks guys!
jecklinsmile.gif

Jan 27, 2009 at 6:21 AM Post #2 of 18
UE extender cable broke within days.

UE earphone cable broke near the jack area, waiting for replacement since weeks.

As far as I'm concerned UE cabling = epic fail. They're so loud too.

Jan 27, 2009 at 6:49 AM Post #3 of 18
just call 'em. I bought mine last February and have called twice for a replacement cable for my SF5Pro - first time my memory wire broke like yours, second time the sheath from one of the wires separated from the Y connector and I had exposed metal cable. Both times they just took my address and mailed it out .. never checked whether I was the original owner, etc.

Jan 27, 2009 at 12:52 PM Post #4 of 18
yep triple-fi cable had the exact same problem as you within the first week!! I also treated them very carefully because they were my first set of high end IEM's I dodnt bother with a replacement; I moved on, no more UE for me

Jan 27, 2009 at 3:50 PM Post #6 of 18
well, like I explained above my experience with UE cables hasn't been trouble free, but I'm not about to give up on 'em over it. Customer service in providing a replacement has been great, and at least the cables are replaceable. I've considered getting the SE530 but the cable breakage problems I hear about scare me off, cuz I can't just plug a new cable in when those break.

Jan 27, 2009 at 4:41 PM Post #7 of 18
Alright. Well, I shot off a very polite email explaining my problem and I hope to have a reply shortly. I'm not a huge fan of the wiring myself, it is quite a bit too rigid. I think I just have to bend them into place and then keep them there as much as possible and not force them to bend all too far. Hopefully they can ship a wire out soon as I've had to tape mine - not too fun. I hope I can get a longer set, too...something like 5 feet or whatever...it's just too short to really use right for me...and extender cables aren't necessarily my cup of tea.

Anyone else have any luck/unluck with getting a replacement UE cable?

Jan 27, 2009 at 5:01 PM Post #8 of 18
tell'em you own UE11 the cable is much better
wink.gif

I wouldnt have just given up on them just for that. I didnt like the fit either and found them to have too much of a recessed midrange. also ugly as hell, huge and uncomfortable IMO. YMMV

Jan 27, 2009 at 5:21 PM Post #9 of 18
It sounds like my MM isn't going to V if they're "ugly as hell", "huge"
, and "uncomfortable" - hehe. They're actually pretty comfy in my ears, I like the look of the clear ones (I'm a total geek and it makes me look like one) - so there qusp! hehe. What is the UE11 cable like?

Jan 28, 2009 at 5:38 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by freedomflyer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It sounds like my MM isn't going to V if they're "ugly as hell", "huge"
, and "uncomfortable" - hehe. They're actually pretty comfy in my ears, I like the look of the clear ones (I'm a total geek and it makes me look like one) - so there qusp! hehe. What is the UE11 cable like?

hehe well if you could see what my room is like and add the fact that I am usually found in front of my mac or the soldering station; I think I might out geek you my man
tongue.gif
nah I just didnt like them and didnt really like rockin the frankenstine look much. too huge and unnecessarily obtrusive. the UE11 cable is very similar to the ES2 cable and the one thats on UM2, W3 etc. its braided (well actually its twisted, I dont know why people insist on calling it braided
confused.gif
) so very little in the way of microphonics and very flexible/light. obviously you can get some nicer aftedrmarket cables if you are willing to drop $60 on one. you can get a brilliant SPC cable from ermmm dang I cant remember the name of them, they recently had a pic of a recabled SE530 on their sire too ahhh!! hopefully someone will chime in and i'll come back and edit as soon as I remember it. also germania makes cables for them. i'm just about to start making a set myself (silver plated copper)for a friends triple.fi so there are other options that are even better than the UE custom cable. you can even get stevekelby to mae you a piccolino UE cable.... for about $500USD hehe serious!! but it really does sound amazing

Jan 28, 2009 at 4:38 PM Post #11 of 18
Ahh. Well, I emailed superficare@ultimateears.com on monday and they still haven't replied so let's hope they still check that email address. I'll wait on what they say and then I'll look at my other options.
Man I wish the wire weren't so stiff. Besides that I really love the fit and feel of these. I love the around the ear, I love the comfort. Mmmm

Jan 28, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Ahh. Well, I emailed superficare@ultimateears.com on monday and they still haven't replied so let's hope they still check that email address. I'll wait on what they say and then I'll look at my other options.
Man I wish the wire weren't so stiff. Besides that I really love the fit and feel of these. I love the around the ear, I love the comfort. Mmmm

Quote:

Hello xxxxxx,

Please contact the RMA call center about your defective item.

The # is 1-866-837-7734 and dial #2 when it prompts you.

Thanks,

Tarah Draper
Ultimate Ears - A Logitech Company
Customer Service Rep
5 Jenner Street
Suite 100
Irvine, CA 92618
Ultimate Ears Earphones Headphones Personal Monitors

Probably the reply you'll receive. I got this email right after calling them.
angry_face.gif

Jan 29, 2009 at 4:08 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

If your SF5Pro has the right-angle plug and the too-stiff cable, then definitely CALL ultimateears and get the new cable. They recently switched to a new cable for the whole SFi series, and while it has a straight plug (bummer) it is much more supple - very much like my ATH-ES7's wires. Not exactly that good, but almost. Anyway it's nowhere near as stiff as the old cable. The other potential downside is that it's available only in black. Since my Sf5Pro is black, that's fine by me. But owners of white and clear might not be happy about that.

And it's still just a bit too short.
mad.gif
But at least it didn't get shorter.

Jan 30, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #14 of 18
Thanks for the info, Hanafuda. I have the clear version. If I had the white version, it might look kind of interesting to have a black and white compliementary pair but I don't know how it would look with clear ones. Meh, I don't really care anyway, as long as it's better. I just barely set my computer up in a building on campus and hooked up my USB DAC to my computer and then the SF5P's before I wrote this post and i was having troubles just letting it hang. Annoying!

Would you guys suggest I call the 866-837-7734 number on Contact us - Support - Ultimate Ears Earphones Headphones Personal Monitors ??? What do you recomend I tell them to get the highest chance of actually replacing (without a cost!!!) my cable?

Maybe UE will wisen up in the coming years...

Jan 31, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #15 of 18
EDIT: I got a response within about 2 minutes and she said that they were going to ship version 2. AWESOMMMEEE

Okay, sorry for the double post. I was getting a little flustered and I re-emailed a copy of my original email to UE and within about 15 minutes I had a reply (it's 4:15 their time right now...pretty good!). The rep said to just send them my address and they'd ship out a new cable...

That was easy...

I asked her if it were possible to ship me the more supple cable (even if it is black) and so we'll see what we get...either way, I'm stoked!

For some reason, I guess you just have to contact UE twice, and they'll get back to you. But heck, I'm not complaining!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back