Is anyone brave enough to write a guide?
Feb 22, 2009 at 6:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

limin

100+ Head-Fier
There seem to be a lot of new members looking for advice on buying iems/headphones within specific price ranges. I was wondering if it would be a good idea for someone or several people to write up a guide with a small review or characteristics on the most popular IEM's within a price bracket with maybe a recommendation.

It seems like the information is in high demand and if updated, a list like this would be really useful for everyone who might want to try a different headphone, not just first time buyers.

I would volunteer to write something up but frankly I have heard the total of 5 iems, 3 of which were shures and 2 of which I heard for more than a day so I would only be able to contribute a small portion.

Feb 22, 2009 at 7:09 AM Post #2 of 19
It's a good idea, and IEMS should probably be put into certain categories, like bass oriented, mid oriented, high oriented, flat, and price ranges etc. I wouldn't be able to help too much either though.

Feb 22, 2009 at 7:17 AM Post #3 of 19
All you really need is something like the headphone buyers guide sticky in the full-size section. Price, names, amp dependency. They have IEM's in there but hasn't been updated.

Besides, I'm pretty sure anyone who's looking for headphones here would just see the name and search around on how it sounds. I know I did.

Feb 22, 2009 at 9:03 AM Post #5 of 19
I thinks all big/main reviews should be sticky.. Or, all reviews links are compiled in one sticky topic.

TQ.

Feb 22, 2009 at 10:56 AM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by bakhtiar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thinks all big/main reviews should be sticky.. Or, all reviews links are compiled in one sticky topic.

TQ.

totally agree...

there shud be sub-section where all Reviews are moved by the Mods.

Feb 22, 2009 at 12:40 PM Post #7 of 19
Something like this would be really cool..

Like price range, and suggestion per genre eg
150 usd
best clarity/mid/high/accurat bass = phonak pfe
bass oriented - turbine, atrio v2
etc..

I still remember the information overload and a total "omgwtf" feeling I had when I joined D:

Feb 22, 2009 at 1:05 PM Post #10 of 19
The trouble is keeping it updated and having the dedication to get all the information. The headphone buyers guide was largely based on information from other people so it wasn't exactly the best thing out there, and it was also missing many options.

Feb 22, 2009 at 6:27 PM Post #11 of 19
or maybe a wiki.

Feb 22, 2009 at 7:10 PM Post #12 of 19
I'm a new member looking for a fairly accurate earphone on a budget (<$150) but I don't feel like starting a new thread because of the "use the search function" backlash.

I would appreciate such a guide for sure. If anyone has some recommendations, I'm looking for a earphone that is fairly accurate without compromising musicality or bass (i.e. not just a set of flat response monitors)

I'm a musician and an engineer so I value both - good specs on paper as well as that magic something that you get with a truly good product. However, I'm also on a budget so I can't spring for some of the more expensive earphones that I've seen many members rave about.

So far, I seem to have found only one earphone that is in my budget and meets my requirements - Monster Turbines. However, I'm afraid that they may be too bass heavy for me based on some of the comments that I've read. I LOVE bass....however, it has to be accurate and well defined at all times, not overbearing.

Keeping all the above in mind, any recommendations? Great forum btw!

Feb 22, 2009 at 7:55 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
totally agree...

there shud be sub-section where all Reviews are moved by the Mods.

A subforum already exists. It just needs to be updated
smile.gif

Featured Full Reviews of Headphone, Earphones, In-Ear Monitors - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

Feb 22, 2009 at 8:01 PM Post #14 of 19
The problem with this is that the majority of people will make their own topic anyway, because they want personal attention.

Just look at the main headphone forum, there is already a sticky pretty much describing what you want, and the forum is still cluttered with "best xxx for yyy" threads.

It might not be completely futile if it helps some people, but for most a thread like this will make no difference.

Feb 22, 2009 at 8:03 PM Post #15 of 19
problem with that subsection is that
1) it's impossible to find
2) all the new members don't bother going extra mile to see if such forum exists
3) that's very outdated now, and it's not going to stop users from asking a personalized question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back