Is anybody still selling new pressings of old vinyl recordings?
Sep 8, 2013 at 7:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Double-A

Formerly known as KingOfTheWild.
Hello, I was just wondering if anybody is still selling new pressings of old vinyl recordings. By old recordings I mean gems like The Voice of Frank Sinatra and The Ink Spots.

Sep 15, 2013 at 4:51 AM Post #4 of 10
  Mobile Fidelity has been releasing a bunch of Sinatra albums lately.

But those would be used albums right? Or even albums that haven't been played but are old and have been sitting around for a long time right?

Sep 15, 2013 at 6:21 AM Post #6 of 10
Nope, they all have been pressed and released this year.

Really? That's awesome. Have they been remastered? I ask this because I don't want albums that have no dynamic range because the mastering engineer used too much dynamic range compression.

Sep 15, 2013 at 1:17 PM Post #7 of 10
There's a whole world of audiophile remastering still going on by the likes of Mobile Fidelity, Classic Records, Audio Fidelity, plus a number of others I've momentarily forgotten..

The good news is that they are targeted at the enthusiast, so yes they usually have great dynamic range and sound quality, pressed on heavy weight  vinyl. The bad news is that they are targeted at the enthusiast, and produced in small numbers, so they cost loads more than the stock releases.

Oct 20, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #9 of 10
There are some new small labels that are dedicated to reissuing previously released recording on vinyl, but the only one I am familiar with is Superior Viaduct, and they focus mostly on Los Angeles underground music.  However, they recently released for the first time ever the actual soundtrack to the Andrei Tarkovsky movie Solaris, which was only ever available in re-recorded versions previously.

www.superiorviaduct.com

Oct 21, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #10 of 10
It's been my experience that first release formats usually have the best sound. It's not just the disk itself that gets worn. Masters get beaten up too, and no amount of audiophilia can save them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back