Is Anybody Else Missing MD Players?
Mar 7, 2006 at 12:13 AM Post #31 of 86
rab10,

Ah, yes, those are both good points. BTW it certainly wasn't my intention to mess up an MD appreciation thread, I guess I was mostly reacting the the earlier statement that MDs had superior SQ to 'most' DAPs. Absent some additional objective backup I don't think that statement is supportable at all. But I see how the other usability issues you mentioned could indeed be advantageous under certain conditions.

Mar 7, 2006 at 9:30 AM Post #32 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by ILikeMusic
...MDs had superior SQ to 'most' DAPs. Absent some additional objective backup I don't think that statement is supportable at all....

There rarely is when comparing SQ since it seems to be subjective. (iRiver vs Cowon vs Ipods etc.) Lets say its on a par with other DAP's. For me I reckon my Zen Micro and iPod Shuffle with 320kps MP3's sound marginally nicer (to me) than my HiMD even with 352kps ATRAC or PCM files. They are all a lot better than my Panasonic PCDP though.

That said I only use my HiMD to record as theres too many other disavantages to the format for me.

Mar 7, 2006 at 12:46 PM Post #33 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by davei
I know someone who bought a HiMD recently (replacing a cassette recorder) for live recording - meetings, lectures, occasional music performances. Nothing requiring super high quality. There was really nothing better in the price range (<$200) with a mic input. It was either HiMD, another cassette recorder, or a flash recorder. Good flash recorders like the Edirol R1 were pricy (digital IC chip recorders with their low quality, not even on the radar), cassettes a possibility but with tapes around a buck a pop not really worth it. The flexibility of HiMD was also attractive - with the digital input, an external ADC, high quality mics, and PCM recording capability it's easy to make quality recordings on the cheap.

Yeah, same here. My partner is using the NH1 exclusively for recording lectures. Excellent sound quality, beat the hell out of those crappy digital recorders.

About the current generation of HiMD, I'm not really a fan of the look though. Too plasticky. I like the good old fashioned brushed steel/titanium look.

Mar 7, 2006 at 1:34 PM Post #36 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by rab10
I am still using my Sharp MD-MS702MK and Sony MD MZ-G750 in the GYM and in situations where I am going to be roughing around with my music. I wouldn't dare do the same with a $300+ Harddrive mp3 player, or a mp3 player with a scratch prone screen and body encasing, and poorer battery life. No Contest! Long live MD!
biggrin.gif
Everybody has a different player for different applications.

Shock proof discs perhaps, but not shock proof players. There's this myth that MD players have acquired because of the strong media. The players are definitely not shockproof... far from it.

The iPod (and some other DAPs) are less likely to die or go intermittent playback-only after two hard drops onto lino. And in the case of such failure it takes as long to re-fill the iPod / other DAP with 20Gb music from your PC as it takes to record a single MD, making the advantage conferred by durable media redundant.

A lot of these supposed advantages are brought up by people who have not used whatever they're arguing against.

The MD players were valuable when first introduced. That the models you're currently using are beaters for you doesn't mean that iPods aren't being used as beaters by other people. And in terms of ultimate durability, polycarb + stainless + rubberised shock mounting beats aluminium sheet + delicate optical head any day of the week.

Mar 7, 2006 at 2:06 PM Post #37 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok
Did you try on at least HiSP and with a good mic?
It should sound good, seriously.

But you're not saying "Hifi quality" as in CD quality right?

Well HiSP yes, but I was using a mic I got free with a PC about 5yrs ago.
biggrin.gif
Sounded ok, until I moved too close to the orchestra. Then the levels were too high. But until that point it was decent enough. At the end I just threw it in my bag and even through that it picked stuff quite well in the reception afterwards.

It was only done as test it wasn't a serious effort at recording. So far anyone who's heard it have been impressed.

Build quality on the latest models is not all that hot.

Mar 7, 2006 at 4:46 PM Post #38 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky191
Don't be pendantic. You know what I meant by DAP.

The majoirty have worse SQ though.

Well it records PCM. What better would you need? Its also comparitively cheap compared to alternatives to recording at the same quality.

The trend is not to have buttons or tactile controls.

A 1GB flash is the same a 1GB HiMD. Its just another medium. Not everyone needs 2 years worth of music for a 30min commute.

How about battery life for holidays etc. Adapter for AA batteries. = bulk and weight. Charging is also hassle. You have to remember to do it. Which is not always convenient.

Its also possible to use MD and not need a computer in the chain. For some thats also an attraction.

Everyones different.

As a taper, I want something that records to at least 3 hrs. MD doesn't provide that. I've often said that if Sony produced multi-gig MD's then they would have a strong contender against Edirol, M Audio and other companies that are producing small, all-in-one recorders. Plus, why not take MD to the next step up and make them 24 bit recorders? Even though the consumer market for taping gear is small, I think Sony is missing this niche market that other companies have jumped in to fill. If Sony produced a recorder with the following features, a lot of tapers would jump on it:

PCM 24/96
digi in/out
line in/out
removeable media (up to 4gb MD's)
usb/firewire transfers
NO SOFTWARE REQUIRED
Good battery life and external AA battery add on

Price tag: $500 or less.

Then Sony would do damn well in the consumer taping market (tapers and wanna-be musicians would be all over this device). It would quickly fill in the void that the death of dat has left. Blank MD's are generally cheap and have proven to work very well.

But Sony being who Sony is, no...we can't have that. Hell, let's release this overpriced POS instead: http://www.cascademedia.net/products...94&prodid=1958

Nearly $2000 for this ugly duckling. Remove the mics and analog VU meters and then we can talk. Otherwise, I think i'll keep an eye on Edirol's release of the R-09 in April (hopefully). It's supposed to be much smaller than the R-1 and support 24/48 recording for $450.

What irks me about MD is that it could be the next great thing, but Sony is constant fumbling the ball.

Mar 7, 2006 at 6:50 PM Post #40 of 86
Quote:

The iPod (and some other DAPs) are less likely to die or go intermittent playback-only after two hard drops onto lino.

where do you get your information from?

i have a sony mz-r70 that has been (1) completely soaked in water--it worked again in 5 minutes and (2) hit out of my hand onto a crowded dancefloor knocking open the player & battery compartment. i popped the md and battery back in, and only missed recording one song of the concert. are you telling me that ANY unprotected ipod is going to survive that?

Mar 7, 2006 at 7:20 PM Post #42 of 86
I still use my Hi-MD NH1 and my MZ-B100.

The B100 is great for interviews and lectures. It can record over 5 hours in LP4 format and allows editing without a computer. It includes built-in stereo mics and a small speaker. It is quite rugged having survived virtually unscathed a fall to a ceramic tiled bathroom floor from my hand.

The NH1 records live in high quality in PCM or Hi-SP.

I have HDAP recorders (H120, NJB3) and flash DAP recorders (WS-320M, Iaudio 5, N200, Ripflash 2). None of them are as reliable and functional as the NH-1. Only the newer Edirol and MAudio flash recorders look as good or better, but I have read about slight stability problems with them. Hopefully, the H120 with Rockbox will eventually produce an outstanding HD recorder. The only DAP I use regularly for recording is the Olympus WS-320M digital voice recorder/music player. It does both very well.

I would love to see a Hi-MD version of the B100. I would buy that for sure.

Mar 7, 2006 at 7:29 PM Post #43 of 86
i just read that the new hi-md players can record in uncompressed linear pcm (redbook). does anyone have one of these and tried it yet? what is the sq like?

Mar 7, 2006 at 7:32 PM Post #44 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter
i just read that the new hi-md players can record in uncompressed linear pcm (redbook). does anyone have one of these and tried it yet? what is the sq like?

The first generation Hi-MD recorders can record to uncompressed PCM. Transferred to a PC, the recording is "perfect". Of course, the input source is the critical factor here. For example, if you got an optical connection to a band's sound board into your Hi-MD recorder, you would have a perfect copy.

Mar 7, 2006 at 7:44 PM Post #45 of 86
I still have my MD player and a few MD's laying around. Haven't bought a new MD player in years nor have I been using my MD player recently. It still sounds good though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back