Is any distortion or coloration caused by Soundcheck in iTunes?
Apr 18, 2008 at 2:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

tfarney

1000+ Head-Fier
Can you tell I'm on a roll this morning? I'm sitting here letting iTunes roll through the entire hard drive at random, and the volume shifts from cut to cut are getting annoying. I've turned Soundcheck off and on, then equalized the volume as quckly as possible and listened. I think I'm hearing a bit of edginess with Soundcheck on, but I'm as capable of imagining things as anyone. Is it supposed to have any effect other than volume?

Tim

Apr 18, 2008 at 2:40 PM Post #2 of 8
It only affects volume. However, if the clipping limiter has to kick in, sound quality can be adversely affected.

If you want to "normalize" your files on a Mac, MacMP3Gain is a much better alternative as long as you're sure to set the program's parameters properly (since changes are irreversible).

Apr 18, 2008 at 10:52 PM Post #4 of 8
Clipping would not be subtle. It would be an obvious sort of clicking thud sound. I use iVolume.

See ya
Steve

Apr 19, 2008 at 4:05 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Clipping would not be subtle. It would be an obvious sort of clicking thud sound. I use iVolume.

See ya
Steve

Seconded. I remember how I felt that iTunes' Sound Check would make everything sound mushy when it first came out. It might have been improved since then, but iVolume is still the number one choice on a Mac. Replay Gain on Windows. Better, more accurate algorithm, if slower though. Zero impact on sound, unless you are of the "less loud = less good" fraction.

Apr 20, 2008 at 3:09 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif

See ya
Steve

Steve,

What exactly does iVolume do?

Thanks!

Apr 20, 2008 at 3:15 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What exactly does iVolume do?

It's a front end for ReplayGain. It replaces the normalization tag values created by iTunes Sound Check with ReplayGain values, and allows iTunes to use those values when Sound Check is enabled. Pretty clever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back