Is Analog out or Digital Out better?
Mar 12, 2014 at 12:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

MichaelJames99

100+ Head-Fier
So I was thinking...  since my wife hates my new HT system in the morning and at night because I "play it too loud?!", maybe I should look at options.   Ok, so the in wall 1500 watt subs are mounted on the opposite side of the wall from her bedroom... so maybe I get it! :)

So my preamp blew and I won't have the budget for another $3k unit until next fall so I am looking for options...

I am 90% watching movies over Direct TV.  All 5.1 DD from a Genie receiver that has analogue (RCA) stereo out and also has Optical out.  It does have an HDMI that is going to the TV.

Question: Would it be better for me to use the stereo out of the Genie to feed my Musical Fidelity X-Can v2 headphone amp and then out to my Grado RS-1's?

*or*

Use the Coax Digital output to something like a Schiit Bifrost, which I think takes a coax digital in and then to the RCA analogue inputs on the MF X-Can 2 to the Grado's?

I want to keep this project under $500..preferable $100-300

Thoughts?

Mar 12, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #2 of 7
Altough I have used a Musical Fidelity X-Can V2 for many years, I am not familiar with either the Genie or the Bifrost.

The question is, wich of these two component has the best D/A converter. My guess would be that the Genie probably has a basic D/A converter, so I would go with the second option.

Hope this helps.

Mar 12, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #3 of 7
  So I was thinking...  since my wife hates my new HT system in the morning and at night because I "play it too loud?!", maybe I should look at options.   Ok, so the in wall 1500 watt subs are mounted on the opposite side of the wall from her bedroom... so maybe I get it! :)

So my preamp blew and I won't have the budget for another $3k unit until next fall so I am looking for options...

I am 90% watching movies over Direct TV.  All 5.1 DD from a Genie receiver that has analogue (RCA) stereo out and also has Optical out.  It does have an HDMI that is going to the TV.

Question: Would it be better for me to use the stereo out of the Genie to feed my Musical Fidelity X-Can v2 headphone amp and then out to my Grado RS-1's?

*or*

Use the Coax Digital output to something like a Schiit Bifrost, which I think takes a coax digital in and then to the RCA analogue inputs on the MF X-Can 2 to the Grado's?

I want to keep this project under $500..preferable $100-300

Thoughts?

I think this boils down to the question of whether the Genie has a better DAC or the Schiit Bifrost has a better DAC (since DirectTV is digital).  If the Genie has a better DAC, you'll want to just connect the X-Can straight to the Genie and let it be.  However, if the Schiit has a better DAC (I'd like to assume it does), then you'll want to connect the Schiit between the Genie and X-Can to get the better output.  In the second instance, the Genie simply acts as a pathway to the Schiit and as far as the audio signal is concerned, as if the Genie was never there.  

Mar 13, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #4 of 7
That's pretty much what I've said.

Mar 13, 2014 at 6:07 PM Post #6 of 7
Go with the digital out (go with Optical) into something like a Bifrost.

I say optical because you get less EMI noise, ground loops, and the lot with a cable that doesn't use conductors.

Mar 13, 2014 at 7:49 PM Post #7 of 7
For movies, where in the chain would a Jvc Su-DH1 or similar dolby headphone processor be?
Would you go from Direct TV Genie to SU-DH1 to BiFrost to Amp to Headphones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back