Is an Ipod + portable amp the best?
Jan 13, 2008 at 1:37 PM Post #16 of 25
Why do you have to get an iPod? What about other mp3..must be something better than an iPod in SQ..

Jan 13, 2008 at 2:41 PM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, this is true. The Classic does sound much better than the 5g.

In what ways? Does the Classic still have weak bass?

Jan 13, 2008 at 2:54 PM Post #18 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, this is true. The Classic does sound much better than the 5g.

really? i heard from other owners that they preferred the 5g sound and that the classic had a cheaper chip in it. i think it was the 5.5gen compared to the classic though.

Jan 13, 2008 at 3:09 PM Post #19 of 25
ONLY trust your own ears... IMO the classic has a different sound signature than the 5.5G ... For me its great. I like the much better bass response
smily_headphones1.gif
... In contrast, the 5.5G ipod sounds somehow flat to me. Not as much appealing soundwise...
So listen for yourself
wink.gif

Jan 14, 2008 at 6:42 AM Post #20 of 25
Personally,

The best Portable I have heard is one that I do not own...

There is a man out there on Head-fi with:
5.5G iMod ->ALO Cotton dock -> Tomahawk -> RS1

That is pretty freaking sweet. The only way to make that better is to switch between the TTVJ millet and the Tomahawk depending on your mood.

Jan 14, 2008 at 7:22 AM Post #21 of 25
cheaper chips do not make that much a difference. they still read the digital info from the source and just interpret it. it is very very similar and i would doubt few would ever be able to detect differences. the output on the newer 6g is better than the output on the 5g but again, detecting the differences would be a major affair. one might sound better in quotes but to find the minute differences is hard.

the wolfson chip in the ipod up till the 5g and that is in other daps is still very very cheap, something like 1.43$ or so back two years ago and i know that it may have become cheaper yet. no portable includes high quality parts to make heaven of all the money you spent. they are all out to make big bucks selling these things. some use catch phrases like undistorted eq. or super calla fragile istic base etc.

no matter 'spec superiority' they must all pass through an output that then renders the dac a moot point. anyway, they should all sound good. the ipod with a line out for the purist does make a huge selling point in that it can appeal to the portable crowd and the audiophile transportable crowd. i have a line out for my ipod touch and love it - but i hear essentially just a thicker chunkier bass - the touch is already a bass monster so it is not a huge deal - that and the hiss is almost eliminated - it is low to start with. cheers

Jan 14, 2008 at 10:15 AM Post #23 of 25
yup, i have the best one too. d2. it is good but a little overrated i reckon. the newer one that has dab might be worthwhile as at least the size of the thing is passed by the fact it has tv. they sound good and have only a little hiss but hardly is it much different than the ipod if just for a silightly different sound sig.

either way, good players from both companies

Jan 14, 2008 at 4:06 PM Post #25 of 25
sound is one of those things like taste. some people like fizzy drink. if i drink it i get diahhrea - does not mean it tastes bad. ipod is a no-frills sound and to many people it is wonderful. some people like the warmer sounding or super special effects of other players. ipod doesn't have either one terribly. the newer ones are still neutral but for instance the touch is hugely base powerful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back