Is an Ipod + portable amp the best?
Dec 26, 2007 at 7:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

sheffsteel

New Head-Fier
This is my first post after viewing this forum for several weeks.

Music is one of my main pleasures in life so I've had my spells of being an audiophile. I've attended several hi-fi exhibitions, listened to Mark Levison and Krell systems costing 1000's of dollars/ pounds. My current home system is Naim and was very expensive.

My only experience of portable mp3 is a Creative Zen:M and the Shure E4C.
I found this combination to be OK. Acceptable but nothing special.

I now hope to move to the next level of portable audio and I'm willing to spend whatever as long as the additional costs can be justified in giving a noticable improvement in sound quality.

After viewing several forums my options seem to be

OPTION1: Buy a Cowon D2 or the new Cowon Q5 and upgrade to the Shure SE530's.

I keep reading how Ipod SQ is below average using the headphone out, however most people seem to rate the Ipod line out.

I live in England therefore there isn't much choice regards separate portable amplifiers. My best option would be the Graham Slee Voyager (fortunately this has had positive reviews).

OPTION2: Buy a Ipod Classic 80GB (apple lossless files) + Graham Slee Voyager amp + whatever headphones for portable use (maybe Shure SE530)

My question is how does the latest Ipod classic or nano+portable amp compare with the best mp3 players currently available. Anyone with experience I'd really appreciate their advice. Thanks.

PS: I've used the search facilty to find some opinions, however there's only opinions in respect to the Redwine Imod with older Ipods + portable amps. My question is about how audiophile can one make the current range of ipod's.

Dec 26, 2007 at 11:00 PM Post #2 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by sheffsteel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PS: I've used the search facilty to find some opinions, however there's only opinions in respect to the Redwine Imod with older Ipods + portable amps. My question is about how audiophile can one make the current range of ipod's.

THe latest iMod is for the 5.5G ipod 80gb video model. Which isnt that much different from the current ipod classics. Id reccomend that.

Dec 26, 2007 at 11:19 PM Post #3 of 25
I'm in UK and managed to put together a nice little set up which I think is excellent for sound quality, better than any other combo i've tried.

I'm using a new 3rd gen 8gb nano with a Headsix amp and ALO bling cable and Ety er4.

I bought the amp/cable and earphones on the forums here.

I would take a look at the Headsix, very similar to the Move which has had good reviews on this site.

Dec 27, 2007 at 2:58 AM Post #5 of 25
In my personal opinion (and having started out with portable audio myself), if you are a home-based audiophile you won't find a level of satisfaction with IEMs. You may not be satisfied with portable audio at all.

After going from a portable-based headphone system to a home-based headphone system, I could never be content with portable audio again. Something major in the industry would have to change, as armature drivers just don't sound natural and dynamic driver IEMs don't provide the detail (and full-size cans aren't portable). Maybe one day IEMs will reach that level where they are on par with full-size but as of now they aren't even close.

If you do decide to go that route, make sure you stay with it and don't listen to any home-based systems. If you're anything like me, once you do you won't be able to go back to your portable system.

Dec 27, 2007 at 4:06 AM Post #6 of 25
if you're looking for sound quality only and willing to carry around an amp, i was really surprised at how good the following setup sounded: rio karma mp3 player (it's dated but still the best sounding one i've heard), meier audio porta corda mkiii portable amp, and etymotic er-4s earphones. you're not going to get any soundstage or impact through portable gear, but the resolution and detail with that setup was outstanding for what it is.

i own two ipods because i like the functionality of the clickwheel, but definately not happy with the sound.

i'll never understand why people use lossless or even 320kbps files with their DAPs, i think it's a waste of battery life which defeats the purpose of portable and audible difference is very minor, but those people carry around amps which also defeats its purpose so...

Dec 27, 2007 at 6:39 AM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In my personal opinion (and having started out with portable audio myself), if you are a home-based audiophile you won't find a level of satisfaction with IEMs. You may not be satisfied with portable audio at all.

After going from a portable-based headphone system to a home-based headphone system, I could never be content with portable audio again. Something major in the industry would have to change, as armature drivers just don't sound natural and dynamic driver IEMs don't provide the detail (and full-size cans aren't portable). Maybe one day IEMs will reach that level where they are on par with full-size but as of now they aren't even close.

If you do decide to go that route, make sure you stay with it and don't listen to any home-based systems. If you're anything like me, once you do you won't be able to go back to your portable system.

x2
rolleyes.gif

I owned the Cowon D2 and ER.4p, and then I sold all of them to get the MS1 and P2, which almost cost me a half but twice SQ
rolleyes.gif

Dec 27, 2007 at 6:39 AM Post #8 of 25
5.5G iMod ipod(need ext AMPs and dock cable) or Kenwood new 60GB DAPs(no need of external AMPs) is best.......

Dec 27, 2007 at 7:22 AM Post #9 of 25
My new iPod Classic 160GB sounds much better sound quality wise than my old 5G iPod Video. Also with 160GB worth of storage I can load lossless to my hearts content without worrying. I do iPod Classic to a Line Out Dock cable to Headsix Amp and it is great combo.

Dec 27, 2007 at 8:05 AM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperNothing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My new iPod Classic 160GB sounds much better sound quality wise than my old 5G iPod Video. Also with 160GB worth of storage I can load lossless to my hearts content without worrying. I do iPod Classic to a Line Out Dock cable to Headsix Amp and it is great combo.

Yes, this is true. The Classic does sound much better than the 5g.

Dec 27, 2007 at 12:39 PM Post #11 of 25
Wow, this is a busy forum. Thankyou everyone for your input.

It's interesting that people have such varying opinions regarding the SQ of the ipod. Some say the latest ipod classic is poor and others say its the best ipod so far for SQ.

IpodPJ I take on board your comments about the limitations of in ear phones. It's not neccesarily worse, just different a different sound. In fact many opinions are flawed because they are based on ones experiences and expectations.

Come to think of it. It's sometimes difficult to quantify whats better or worse in respect of SQ. Many players and headphones give a slightly different sound and much is down to personal opinion or mood.

Also it's a bit like eating ice cream. You might have a favourite flavour but every now and then you want to try a different flavour. I think it's similiar with audio.

The best advice seems to be to go somewhere and demo everything before buying. Unfortunately it's almost impossible to demo amps and headphones in the UK as most shops have a very limited choice.

There's one company in the UK (not advertising them tho) with shops based in Edinburgh and Glasgow. They have almost every mp3 players, several sets of head/ earphones and the GS Voyager amp. They even let you buy lots of stuff and as long as you return it within 1 week then you get a full refund (no questions asked). Basically this allows you to home demo.

Dec 27, 2007 at 8:50 PM Post #12 of 25
Yes, that is true: there is no better alternative to listening to the equipment yourself, as music is a very subjective territory and the most important factor is that you, yourself, enjoy what you hear.

Dec 28, 2007 at 12:07 AM Post #13 of 25
I think custom IEM's are without a doubt a big step above what any universal IEM can deliver in terms of sq and comfort. The soundstage seems to be the only limitation of my ES2's in matching up to any of the full-size cans I've owned. The only full-size phone that could beat my ES2's for detail and clarity were the CD-3000's, and they were thinner sounding. I'm moving in the opposite direction- getting rid of my home rig in favor of the best possible portable set-up for my ES2's. I listen to these at my desk or out and about and I really don't feel like I'm missing all that much. When I first came on to Head-Fi a few years ago, it was only in search of an IEM that was more comfortable and of comparable sq to my old Ety ER-4P's. I think a lot of us come on here and fall victim to the group think that an expensive home rig is of the utmost importance. It maybe so, but not in my case anymore... just an expensive-ass portable rig.

Dec 28, 2007 at 9:28 AM Post #14 of 25
As someone who switches back and forth between Darth Beyers from a Micro DAC and Millett Hybrid, and the Triple-Fi's from the H140 line out, I don't agree that portable doesn't deliver the goods. Yes my Darths are superior. It's a big sound and a driving lower end. But good IEMs provide their own excitement. I'm always amazed that I'm sitting in my favourite cafe enjoying a cigar and there are instruments circling around my head. It doesn't hurt that the Triple-Fi's have wonderful detailed treble in the soundstage. And yes, we can smoke indoors in Shanghai - so what would I do without IEMs?
biggrin.gif

Jan 13, 2008 at 12:20 PM Post #15 of 25
Coming form a full Classe Amp and Theta Digital DAC Full Balanced and XLO Sig Cables. Mirage M3. ...... then there a all the Tuning Cones, Disk, Matts Stands.
I have to say the value for money. connivence and high quality CAN be beaten with the current RSA ' The Predator " amp /Dac or HeadAMP Pico Or Headroom Portable Home Amp and Ety ER4s./ UE triple fi 10/ SennHD600 lineout On Qables or similar. IPod Classic 160Gb as the other Poster said with the biggest size Disk, you can have even WAV files Let alone Lost-Less. All the Audiophile recordings you have, in you hands in a Plane coach or Train.

All that gear cost less than and Krell Interged Amp by itself. to beat the audio quality you will need the whole Krell System. and you need the house to Go with it. I have been there ..... room acoustics not good enough... custom HiFi Room. with Filtered Power & Acoustic Walls...... all that.
mad.gif

The Head Fi Route is Cheaper and More Fun at More Places.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back