Is an Ipod Nano 5th Generation really that bad?
May 22, 2012 at 11:39 PM Post #31 of 38
Quote:

That, and a battery will run out far faster than your library will, so you still have to sync/charge. This goes to show that I STILL don't get the need to take 30+ gigabytes of music with you.

+1 to that. I had a 64GB Zune HD a while back, with about 59GB of music on it, and a good portion of what was on it never got played. It was too wide a variety for "shuffle all" usage, so at most maybe about 15GB of what was on it would be in my rotation at any given time.

I have three players I use regularly now, and each has somewhere between 22 and 25GB on it.....seems like plenty to me.

May 22, 2012 at 11:53 PM Post #32 of 38
The idea of big GB's in one drive is to 1. back up your music (especially with FLAC's and also videos); 2. no need to swap cards from time to time; 3. enjoy being within the reach for any of your music at any given moment at any given place with your player.

May 23, 2012 at 4:00 AM Post #33 of 38
Quote:
The idea of big GB's in one drive is to 1. back up your music (especially with FLAC's and also videos); 2. no need to swap cards from time to time; 3. enjoy being within the reach for any of your music at any given moment at any given place with your player.

Considering which, the Nano is not a bad deal, but there are cheaper options when compared to Nano.

May 23, 2012 at 8:58 AM Post #34 of 38
A 32gb nano would be excellent for me. A bunch of good playlists,...

I'm learning to realize that I need no more than 16gb though. Go figure. Like others here I'm carrying all this music & never listening to 99% of it. Reality check for me I guess,...wanna buy my 64gb Sony A867?

May 23, 2012 at 9:12 AM Post #35 of 38
Quote:
Considering which, the Nano is not a bad deal, but there are cheaper options when compared to Nano.

Nano not a bad deal???? $140 for a 16 GB player without a card slot? Compare that to a $30  2 GB Clip+ with a $22  32GB microSDHC card in it, giving a great  $52  34GB player. The Nano does have somewhat better battery life than the Clip+, and the metal case on the Nano is nice, however I don't see those factors as being important. When I need extra battery life I use a usb battery pack with my Clip+. The Clip+ will play while it is connected to a usb battery pack. Some small inexpensive usb battery packs are good for several full charges of the Clip+ battery. Will the Nano play while it is being charged?

One can get a small  5,000 mah usb battery pack for around $35, or a 3,000 mah one for around $25. The Clip+ gives around 12 hours of battery life(In real use. It is stated as having 15 hour battery life) with its 290 mah battery, so expecting around 70% efficiency when charging means that the 5,000 mah battery pack may give at least 10 full charges.

May 23, 2012 at 9:15 AM Post #36 of 38
Quote:
A 32gb nano would be excellent for me. A bunch of good playlists,...
I'm learning to realize that I need no more than 16gb though. Go figure. Like others here I'm carrying all this music & never listening to 99% of it. Reality check for me I guess,...wanna buy my 64gb Sony A867?

I agree with you. 16GB is, in fact, more than enough. On the go, I would probably listen to only 4GB worth of songs at most. The Nano isn't bad at all and I don't really get why many people here say that the Sansa sounds "much" better than iPods. I have listened to some Wolfson DACs and honestly the difference is subtle. Don't know about people with golden ears but as an individual the difference isn't something to fuss about.

Why I picked up an iPod Nano?
- Easy and friendly interface 
- Decent screen size
- Easy sync with iTunes (especially handy for people with iDevices)
- Thin and lightweight
- And like every other Apple product, replacing faulty iDevices is as easy as 2+2. Also, resale value is strong.

May 23, 2012 at 11:46 AM Post #37 of 38
An interesting article.

http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/switched-on-tech/article/death-ipod-sansa-clip-zip-mp3-wonder

MP3 players aren't just for music. Many use them for podcasts and/or audiobooks as well. One can never have too much storage. It is always good to have more flash memory as long as it is cheap.

Can ipods play while they are being charged via a usb battery pack?

The things I demand in an mp3 player are
1)having a card slot
2)ability to play while charging
3)autoresume for podcasts and audiobooks

What I want in a player
1)variable speed playback with pitch correction using the original firmware
2)noise reduction settings to make noisy podcasts more comprehensible
3) use of a standard easily swappable battery
4)high quality voice recording and a mic jack
5) A built in clip or comes with a case with a built in clip

May 25, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #38 of 38
Quote:
I just received one of these and decided I want a good pair of IEMs to upgrade my sound quality. This led me to head-fi forums and to the fact that an Ipod Nano 5th Gen isnt as good as a Sansa for sound quality. But really, how different will it be? Day vs night, or much more subtle?

Facts:
I will use my player for on-the-go playback without any amp.
I'll be using a pair of IEMs around the $200-$300 price range.

Returning the ipod will be kind of a pain and I really like the look, build quality, screen, and navigation of the ipod. Is the Tier 2 sound quality really that much of a deal-breaker?

To go back to the original question, if you are happy with the iPod and your selection of IEM's then that is the most important fact. We can all get wrapped up in trying to find improvements, etc when we forget to most basic fact...enjoyment. If you have this and are happy, then great! Music is like beauty...it's in the ear of the beholder...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back