Is an amp worth it without an iMod?
Jan 18, 2009 at 6:53 PM Post #31 of 32
You'll have to source the HD yourself... there are 120 & 160 GB models from Toshiba & Samsung that will have connectors that would fit in 5.5G iPod. There are various sites which discuss this... google is your friend. There's even a 240GB Toshiba HD that isn't available yet, which theoretically works inside the iPod, but no one is sure if it works effectively in an iPod.

My 2 cents about the iPod thing is that the 5.5G sounds better than 6G, with or without amp. With the iMod, it's no question that 5.5G sounds better than just 6G amped. The music sounds so much warmer, without that digital hash... I think one poster pointed to Vinnie's comments about how there's no need to mod 6G because of less 'stuff' in the way between the DAC and dock, but if you actually read it carefully, it's pretty apparent that 6G isn't worth modding NOT because it's superior sounding, but precisely the opposite:

Quote:

I am a little disappointed in what I have found (and I'm sure there are others who are as well) because I was really hoping for the 160GB iPod Classic to have pretty much the same dac...

Vinnie goes on to say that the advantages of the 6G are the new metal front, bigger memory, and new software updates. But strongly implies that without the same DAC, the SQ suffers & is also one of the reasons not worth modding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back