Is an amp like the Hornet worth it with 192k Mp3s?
Dec 22, 2006 at 12:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

duff138

100+ Head-Fier
I mostly use my ipod with 192kps bitrate mp3s. Is it worth getting an amp for this purpose. I'm using Grados sr-80 phones right now. I'm interested in getting some IEMS ($200 range), so the "Tomahawk" looks tempting. I'd probably keep all my music at the 192 bitrate, so I'd like to know is it worth getting an amp, or should I consider re-ripping to a higher bitrate if I purchase an amp like the "Hornet" or the "Tomahawk".

Dec 22, 2006 at 1:03 AM Post #2 of 10
Why not try IEM's straight out of the iPod first?

Dec 22, 2006 at 1:21 AM Post #3 of 10
I could do that, but my question is really about whether 192kps bitrate mp3s will be improved with the use on an amp like the Hornet, even with my Grados. The thought of trying IEMS is more of someting I'd consider after an amp. Or are you suggesting just try the IEMS un-amped, maybe that'll be a more logicallly step to improving my set up and sound?

Dec 22, 2006 at 1:33 AM Post #4 of 10
A lot has to do with balance and synergy. I would strive to have the quality of the components complement one another. For example using one of the ALO Jumbo Dock with a PA2V2, iPod Mini 4 Gb, and Shure E500 does not make sense.

However the same ALO Jumbo Dock, with an SR71, iPod 5.5 in 60 Gb and the Shure E500 is reasonable. On the other end an ALO Copper Dock, a PA2V2, a 4 Gb Nano, and an Ety Er6i would also make sense.

Of course only you can make that call, see if you can find Head-Fiers close to you so you can listen to their gear and make an informed decision. Good luck.

Dec 22, 2006 at 1:40 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A lot has to do with balance and synergy. I would strive to have the quality of the components complement one another. For example using one of the ALO Jumbo Dock with a PA2V2, iPod Mini 4 Gb, and Shure E500 does not make sense.

However the same ALO Jumbo Dock, with an SR71, iPod 5.5 in 60 Gb and the Shure E500 is reasonable. On the other end an ALO Copper Dock, a PA2V2, a 4 Gb Nano, and an Ety Er6i would also make sense.

Of course only you can make that call, see if you can find Head-Fiers close to you so you can listen to their gear and make an informed decision. Good luck.

thanks. Just took a quick look at your inventory! Lots of stuff there. So what bitrate are you ripping your music at? Is it worth getting higher end components for 192k mp3s?

Dec 22, 2006 at 1:44 AM Post #6 of 10
I have the iPod 5.5 80, which uses the same internal amp, I do believe, as the 5.0, and I can tell you that this little amp, although it performs admirably for being popularly-priced, can use a little help if you plan on doing more demanding listening. Even at 192kbps (which isn't a rate to sniff at), you should hear an appreciable difference. I've got a Total Airhead due to arrive tomorrow, and I'll be happy to let you know how some of my 192kbps tracks sound with it and my UE super.fi 5 Pros (I'm in the process of re-ripping everything from 192 to 256, thanks to the high level of detail my new e500's offer, but haven't yet completed the job).

Dec 22, 2006 at 2:09 AM Post #7 of 10
IMHO, somewhere between 192 and 256kbps is for me the point of diminishing returns for portable music listening (AAC VBR in my case). A decent amp be it Headroom Bithead or Hornet (recent arrival) makes a meaningful improvement in SQ with IEMs and a dock with the iPod (noise floor reduction alone is worth it), and definitely with full-size cans like HD595, HD6XX, AKGX01, etc. The Hornet is the quietest of my amps in terms of noise floor and sounds great with every can I own. The Bithead is ideal for travel 'cause it interfaces with a laptop and takes easy to find batteries. In general, I have found the benefits of an amp to be seperate/complimentary to those of going to higher bitrates - A good amp might allow you to more accurately determine what rate is needed for your demands by insuring the cans are properly driven so you don't confound amp/can performance and bitrate effects on SQ.

Dec 22, 2006 at 2:17 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by duff138 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks. Just took a quick look at your inventory! Lots of stuff there. So what bitrate are you ripping your music at? Is it worth getting higher end components for 192k mp3s?

I have two 4 gen iPod Photos 60 Gb, in one I use 192 Kbps VBR set at the highest setting, and on the other Apple Lossless. The one with Apple Lossless will be sent ot get the iWine mod by Vinnie someday.
wink.gif

Dec 22, 2006 at 11:54 AM Post #9 of 10
Im ready to be flamed for this but in my experience, now that the shiny newness has worn off all of my toys and I'm much more capable of identifying what sounds good, I would say that bit rate is not as important as original recording quality.

A really well recorded album will sound great at 128kbps, a really badly recorded album will sound awful as lossless.

As a general rule, higher bit rates do sound better but the original recording quality is much more important.

As to your original question - a good amp will be well worth it, providing you also have a good set of headphones to hear the difference.

Good doesnt mean expensive - my px100's are excellent and probably the best value per £ spent of all my purchases.

If the Tomahawk is anywhere near as good as the Hornet M , it will be very very good indeed, and Ray is great to deal with.

Nick

Dec 22, 2006 at 12:48 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

As a general rule, higher bit rates do sound better but the original recording quality is much more important.

True. But even with well recorded album bad 128kbps sounds flat and sparkless. Even highs are wavy and artifact infested in intense cymbal parts and such.

192kpb is really good sounding, even with high-quality "goldenear-rate-equipment".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back