Is amping a waste in high ambient noise environments?
Jul 25, 2005 at 8:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Nick B

Head-Fier
Greetings Learned Fourm:

Tomorrow (if the UPS Gods smile upon me) I will receive my new Westone UM2 canal phones. They will be paired with my iAudio G3 player. As much as I am looking forward the huge improvement in sound that this combo will bestow, I am looking ahead to the possibility of adding amplification to the mix.

My application, about 80% of the time, is music while riding my motorcycle. While canal phones do an OK job of blocking wind noise, it is still pretty loud. This forces me to increase volume and flirt with distortion, especially in the bass regions.

So I'm wondering if an amp would be a waste, given the noisy environment I am trying to listen in. Subtle changes in "airyness" and "presence" will certainly be lost under my helmet at 60 MPH. However, a cleaner and more powerful sound will most definitely help out.

There is already a thumb on the scale against amplification: size and weight. Even though I'm looking at portable amps (SM V3, Portphile V2, Headroom Micro), it is still another bulge under the jacket (DON'T GO THERE
biggrin.gif
), another pocket filled, another wire to wrestle with when purchasing gas, etc.

As always, your impressions, opinions and advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Nick B

Jul 25, 2005 at 8:46 PM Post #2 of 11
An amp would probably help. But more isolation of course would be better and easier on your ears.

You might be interested in this. http://www.electric-avenues.com/amplirider.html. It looks easy to control and hopefully won't get in the way.

Edit: Sorry fixed.

Jul 26, 2005 at 6:18 AM Post #4 of 11
No -- an amp does not just make things louder.

Jul 26, 2005 at 6:21 AM Post #5 of 11
An amp should do both, but I for one would think that it's not the right approach for your situation. My two cents would be to look for the most isolation you can get since I believe that will not only give you better sound but decrease the possibilities of damaging your hearing.

Jul 26, 2005 at 7:51 AM Post #6 of 11
IMHO yes it makes a big difference, but thats only if your portable player is lacking to begin with. Which it sounds like it is.

low impedence canal phones in particular benefeit from an amp. They are current hoggs and need ample current reserves to reach their full dynamic (note I didnt say volume) potential.... even more so in a noisy environment.

All my low impedence cans benefeit noticeably amped by even my small portable amps.

Garret IMHO of course

Jul 27, 2005 at 1:52 PM Post #7 of 11
First, thank you all for your replies. Especially Firam. I had never heard of the amplirider, but it is kind of ingenious: http://www.electric-avenues.com/amplirider.html. I would hate to base my choice of quality amplification solely upon the convenience of an easily accessible volume knob, but damn it's a great idea!

One big problem of riding with tunes is that in order to turn it down or off when you need to, it is a cumbersome process of taking off gloves, unzipping jackets, fishing through pockets, etc.

Does the forum have any other ideas along these lines? Has anyone heard of modifying a portable amp (or mp3 player) so that it has a remote volume/kill knob, or is the amplirider the only game in town? My cheapie Rat Shack headphones have a volume slider built into the cord, but my Westone UM2s (due to arrive TODAY!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
) do not. I would be great to be able to kill the sound quickly, and with gloves on.

Thanks again for all of your help.

Nick B

Jul 27, 2005 at 2:19 PM Post #9 of 11
"never wanted to listen to music again "

Not true, Claus, not true. You are listening to music....the sweet music of well tuned exhaust! The clicking of valves. the smooth rumble of throttle response....ahhh. BUT...there are times, when you are carving up that mountain pass, when a clear, loud and detailed playing of "Voodoo Chile" pushes your adrenal gland into overdrive.

Rock On!

Nick B

Jul 27, 2005 at 2:25 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick B
"never wanted to listen to music again "

Not true, Claus, not true. You are listening to music....the sweet music of well tuned exhaust! The clicking of valves. the smooth rumble of throttle response....ahhh. BUT...there are times, when you are carving up that mountain pass, when a clear, loud and detailed playing of "Voodoo Chile" pushes your adrenal gland into overdrive.

Rock On!

Nick B

aaahh this puts chills down my back - sounds like the perfect riding day. I know there is a company called ChatterBox that makes communication systems for bikes. And they feature inputs for music devices. The drivers are usually put inside the helmet, but I have no idea about Sound Quality with those things.

Jul 27, 2005 at 2:37 PM Post #11 of 11
NYC streets are as ambient noisy as you can get - that's a 10 min walk to work and back filled with every urban noise imaginable. With just an ipod you are cranking the sound just to drown out the other sounds. But with the right amp you lose yourself in the music and no intruding noises can snap you out of your aural revelry. Unfortunately this happens at home too when the wife wants you to come to get something off a high shelf in the closet and you're "locked in" and totally ignore her (unintentionally!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back