Is Amped always better than No-Amp?
Apr 7, 2009 at 2:45 AM Post #16 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by charlie0904 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i suppose it will jus sound louder and more bass for E5. SQ wise i do not believe it would increase much.

LOD will better utilise your amp compared to mini to mini.
whether your se115 benefit from an amp is more important. so u may consider a IEM upgrade. some IEMs will only bloom with certain amps and (cables even)?

coming to this forum will you jus make you "throw" that "budget" thought away. it happen to me.
jecklinsmile.gif

The SE115's do not benefit much from amping?

Apr 7, 2009 at 2:47 AM Post #17 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've not heard the E5 having long ago given up on portable amps. In my experience, if you volume match when judging them, they aren't that different than the amp in my iPod. Most people when judging amps, don't volume match. A 3dB difference in volume can effect the perceived frequeny response. Most have way too much gain for me. They tend to go from no sound to too loud with nothing in between.

I see 4 reasons for buying a portable amp.
  • They're great for taking on a trip.
  • If you hear hiss out of the headphone jack, a low gain amp can solve the problem
  • If you have an in ear that is difficult to drive from a portable's headphone amp. This also applies if you're using not portable headphones. There are only a few in ears where this is really a problem.
  • If the bass rolls off too much for you because of the small values of the output caps in portable players. This is not necessarily fixed by all portable amps however.

Feedback much noted. Thank you.

Apr 7, 2009 at 2:48 AM Post #18 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by .coco /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is already a built in amp to all these portable audio devices. That is how you are hearing the music. The question is, is your external portable amp better than the built in internal. Sometimes yes, sometimes now. For example, I found that the built in amp in my iPhone 3G sounds better with my 325i's than the external Mini3.

How would I obtain the specs of the built in amp in my iPod Touch 1G? Sure would like to compare them with the specs of the FiiO E5.

Apr 7, 2009 at 2:49 AM Post #19 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some IEM's that are sensitive or is of low impedance will also hiss with certain amps (e.g: E3 is a hiss-fest with many IEMs and T4 hisses with my 530s). I'm not sure about SE115 or E5 but I've found that most Shure IEMs are usually sensitive and hissy so it's something to keep in mind if you find it annoying.

Thanks for the feedback.

Apr 7, 2009 at 3:41 AM Post #20 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by JiPod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How would I obtain the specs of the built in amp in my iPod Touch 1G? Sure would like to compare them with the specs of the FiiO E5.

I have never seen specs of amps really tell much. You can search up what kind of amp is used in the iPhone, it should be in some technical documents (or posted here). If the iPod Touch 1G is anything like the 2G, the internal amp will probably be better with low impedance headphones than the E5. I have not heard the E5, but from what I have read, it just provides the juice, without much quality. But hey, you get what you pay for lol.

Apr 7, 2009 at 3:48 AM Post #21 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by .coco /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But hey, you get what you pay for lol.

That line "hurts", but you're absolutely correct (in most cases).

Apr 7, 2009 at 3:50 AM Post #22 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by JiPod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That line "hurts", but you're absolutely correct (in most cases).

This is a painful hobby, I guess we are all masochists
tongue.gif

Apr 7, 2009 at 7:37 AM Post #23 of 30
I always advise people to get the best IEM / portable headphones that they can afford, before going anywhere near portable amps.
Otherwise, I would say it's kinda wasting your money, and having to shuffle extra bulk along ain't worth it.

As for E5, yep you definitely get what you pay for.
(And I was stupid enough to buy 2 of the buggers since they were dirt cheap
biggrin.gif
)

Apr 7, 2009 at 7:53 AM Post #24 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by markh78 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I always advise people to get the best IEM / portable headphones that they can afford, before going anywhere near portable amps.
Otherwise, I would say it's kinda wasting your money, and having to shuffle extra bulk along ain't worth it.

As for E5, yep you definitely get what you pay for.
(And I was stupid enough to buy 2 of the buggers since they were dirt cheap
biggrin.gif
)

Noted. Thanks.

Apr 7, 2009 at 10:24 AM Post #25 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by vkvedam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A lot of people are not impressed with the muffled sound of FiiO E5, I didn't hear it myself, so can't really comment on this.

I'm sorry, but then you shouldn't have posted at all.

JiPod: Something to help you: If you wish to quote more than one post, click on the multi-quote image on each post
multiquote_off.gif
, then click on "Reply" once you've finished reading and are ready to type your reply. All the posts you want to quote will then be there for you.

I found with my Ultimate Ears TF10s that they gained some bass when amped. I think though that they were designed to work best out of an iPod, however, with some models I've owned the deep bass on some tracks wouldn't appear if I plugged them straight in to the iPod, but would if I used an amp.

Apr 7, 2009 at 10:34 AM Post #26 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sorry, but then you shouldn't have posted at all.

JiPod: Something to help you: If you wish to quote more than one post, click on the multi-quote image on each post
multiquote_off.gif
, then click on "Reply" once you've finished reading and are ready to type your reply. All the posts you want to quote will then be there for you.

I found with my Ultimate Ears TF10s that they gained some bass when amped. I think though that they were designed to work best out of an iPod, however, with some models I've owned the deep bass on some tracks wouldn't appear if I plugged them straight in to the iPod, but would if I used an amp.

Thanks for the instructions per multiple-post quotes.

My LOD and FiiO E5 are on their way; should receive my SE115 sometime early next week. Look forward to some positive results.

Apr 9, 2009 at 12:09 AM Post #27 of 30
I have a Sansa Fuze that I use with SE530's and a Fiio e5 and an LOD and the sound with the Fiio is better than the sound with just the Fuze. It maybe because of the LOD I dont know, but the bass is more present with the Fiio e5 attached at the same volume level, atleast for me it is. With the Fuze only I have to run the Fuze up pretty high to get the volume I want and with the Fiio attached it seems that I dont have to run the volume up too much past half way on the e5 to really jam out. Hope this helps.

Apr 10, 2009 at 3:08 AM Post #28 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by fixit5561 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a Sansa Fuze that I use with SE530's and a Fiio e5 and an LOD and the sound with the Fiio is better than the sound with just the Fuze. It maybe because of the LOD I dont know, but the bass is more present with the Fiio e5 attached at the same volume level, atleast for me it is. With the Fuze only I have to run the Fuze up pretty high to get the volume I want and with the Fiio attached it seems that I dont have to run the volume up too much past half way on the e5 to really jam out. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the feedback. Got my LOD ($30) and FiiO E5 ($30) yesterday. Hooked everything up in between my iPod Touch 1G and AKG K324P. The music appeared to bear more clarity, but not by $60. My SE115 is scheduled to arrive next week; will try again.

Apr 10, 2009 at 3:21 AM Post #29 of 30
My experience is that there is more of a full sound, less restrictive or thin when using an amp. I use the pico or hornet with my Ultimate Ears Triple-Fi 10s as an earlier poster. As far as clarity it seems with all of my iems that they are a touch clearer with out the amp but the overall sound is better with one.

Apr 10, 2009 at 3:54 AM Post #30 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by dallan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My experience is that there is more of a full sound, less restrictive or thin when using an amp. I use the pico or hornet with my Ultimate Ears Triple-Fi 10s as an earlier poster. As far as clarity it seems with all of my iems that they are a touch clearer with out the amp but the overall sound is better with one.

Thanks for the feedback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back