Is Ah! Njoed Tjoeb 4000 any good?
Dec 6, 2002 at 12:26 AM Post #2 of 8
I've got the super model with upsampler and I like it very much. There are other threads and posts on HeadFi; just search on Ah! Njoe Tjoeb 4000 in all combinations. The tube analog stage should be right up your "warm sounding" alley.

Dec 6, 2002 at 9:26 PM Post #3 of 8
I have the super model w/o the upsampler. I really like it
biggrin.gif
. I am looking into doing a little tuberolling first, and then I plan on getting the upsampler. Kevin Deal was great to work with and the player was packed extremly well. Much better sound then my older Sony ES player.

Dec 6, 2002 at 10:51 PM Post #4 of 8
Kind of off/on topic....

....how exactly do you pronounce Ah! Njoe Tjoeb? Could someone spell it out phonetically for me?
confused.gif

Dec 6, 2002 at 10:53 PM Post #5 of 8
Ah! is just like it sound, Njoe Tjobe is Dutch for "New Tube"

Dec 7, 2002 at 12:07 AM Post #7 of 8
Bubblegummy,

I own the original Ah! Njoe Tjoeb 4000, slightly modified with OPA627 and AD825 opamps (I switch), added IEC, disconnected headphone jack and mass dampened. Its sonics as a source in a stereo rig, provided the tubes are decent and linear, provides a deep soundstage and pretty good image placement - its an excellent player for that application. For whatever reason its been far from a high quality source in any headphone setup I've tried, in those systems I prefer the NAD c541i to a stock AH! for its bass response and excellent drive (considering its price). The OPA627 opamps help save it as a source in a headphone system, but I'm personally not satisfied with it - for what its worth I thought the nOrh CD-1 was a better player.

My CD player isn't inherently warm sounding, to get there look at Amperex Orange Globes and PQ 6922. Kevin Deal at Upscale is a great guy to work with, let him know what you're looking for sound wise and he'll always have a tube recommendation for you. If you're looking for the best tubes for the CD player (giving it clear dynamics and clean response) inquire about his real old stock Phillips SQ (but be wary, they're expensive).

All of these comments are without the upsampler mind you (haven't heard it).

Jon,

"Ahhhh, New Tube" (according to Kevin Deal, who isn't Dutch)
wink.gif

best,
carlo.

Dec 7, 2002 at 12:16 AM Post #8 of 8
"Njoe Tjoeb" is not Dutch for "new tube". That would be "nieuwe buis". "Njoe Tjoeb" is what you get when you write "New Tube" in Dutch phonetically. So it's pronounced as "New Tube"
biggrin.gif

Also, the brand name AH! is pronounced as "A Ha!"

Hope this helps
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back