Is ability to pick up flaws in a recording a good indicator of detail retrieval in headphones?
May 26, 2022 at 6:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Sean_MR

100+ Head-Fier
I always hear people describe how TOTL headphones can be ruthlessly revealing because they’re so detailed they’ll reveal all the flaws (like clips and pops) in a recording. But are there other factors that affect this as well?

I ask because I recently owned a ZMF Verite Open, and WOW I heard so many clips and pops that I’d never heard before in recordings that I’d listened to a thousand times. But the I upgraded to the LCD-5, which should be noticeably more resolving than the Verite. With the LCD-5 on the same chain, those clips and pops are significantly harder to hear. This isn’t a small difference either, it’s night and day. If the clips previously with the Verite were an 8/10 for ease of hearing, they’re now like a 3/10. I honestly don’t think I’d even be able to pick up on them if I didn’t already know they were there.

Is there something else at play here? Could the way a headphone stages and places components of a song influence the perceptibility of pops and clicks?

Thank you for any help!

May 26, 2022 at 8:17 PM Post #2 of 7
Let me get this right: you equate clips and pops with "ease of hearing"? Damn, I guess we all want different things in audio reproduction. :scream:

May 27, 2022 at 7:10 AM Post #3 of 7
Let me get this right: you equate clips and pops with "ease of hearing"? Damn, I guess we all want different things in audio reproduction. :scream:
I'm not sure if you understood my post. I don't equate those with ease of hearing; rather, I use them as a litmus test of sorts to gauge the detail retrieval of a headphone. Or that's what I'm not sure of and was asking for help of in the forum. Since if true, the LCD-5 would seem to be quite un-detailed in this example.

May 28, 2022 at 8:53 PM Post #7 of 7
Maybe the ZMF has a peak in the same frequency range as the pops and clicks, and the LCD-5 doesn't.

You could try some of the sine sweeps at audiocheck.net to see where the peaks and dips of your 'phones are.
https://www.audiocheck.net/testtones_perceptualsinesweep.php
I will definitely try that tomorrow. Even if it is related to FR though, it still seems to be more than just that (at least to me). I can’t quite describe it, but the clicks/pops aren’t just “elevated” or louder due to possible FR, they’re more clearly defined and sculpted as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back