Is a Warranty for Heaphones Worth It?
Jan 18, 2010 at 6:07 AM Post #2 of 20
Depends. If they break it gives you an excuse to upgrade if you've got no warranty.
biggrin.gif

Jan 18, 2010 at 6:07 AM Post #3 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by oPEEPINGTOMo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are headphones generally problem free? I just bought some Denon AH-D2000 headphones and am wondering if i should spare the extra 25 bucks for a 1 yr warranty?

NO. Extended warranties are worthless on anything except cars and MABYE computers, depending on the situation. If you buy from an authorized dealer, the Denons are covered under the factory warranty. Extended warranties like the kind best buy sells are a scam. You are buying nothing. The products you buy already have a factory warranty! If you didn't buy from an authorized dealer, I still would not get the warranty. Headphones are very durable. They will only break if you abuse them, and your warranty will most likely not cover user abuse.

Jan 18, 2010 at 9:18 AM Post #7 of 20
Depends what the warranty covers, depends on how you're going to treat it and depends on how bad your upgraditis is.

As a salesman, I live off warranties, and as an anonymous member of an online forum, I'd recommend doing your homework for major purchases when it comes to warranties -- and I wouldn't pay much mind to Tvrboy's comment. On a headphone? I wouldn't; in a year's time, who knows if you'll still have those headphones or even want them. Also keep in mind that most warranties do not cover modifications, so a simple tweak could void it anyway.

Jan 18, 2010 at 9:37 AM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Landis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and I wouldn't pay much mind to Tvrboy's comment

What kinds of warranties do you sell? I stand by my comment that most "add-on" warranties are BS. What do you get with an add-on warranty? You get to take your product back to the store, where they will ship it to the manufacturer. You can do that yourself for just postage. Now for a computer or something that is really costly to fix, they can be worthwhile, depending on what they cover and how long it is.

Every time I buy something $30 at best buy they try to get me to purchase a $20 "protection plan." As if I'm stupid enough to believe that 1. my disc drive will explode soon and 2. seagate will never ever take it back for a warranty replacement or 3. I'm too dumb to mail it to seagate myself
Now as for a "no questions asked" warranty on notebook computers, i would recommend that as somebody who has killed 2 of them by spilling beer in the keyboard.

Jan 18, 2010 at 10:02 AM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by tvrboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What kinds of warranties do you sell? I stand by my comment that most "add-on" warranties are BS. What do you get with an add-on warranty? You get to take your product back to the store, where they will ship it to the manufacturer. You can do that yourself for just postage. Now for a computer or something that is really costly to fix, they can be worthwhile, depending on what they cover and how long it is.

Every time I buy something $30 at best buy they try to get me to purchase a $20 "protection plan." As if I'm stupid enough to believe that 1. my disc drive will explode soon and 2. seagate will never ever take it back for a warranty replacement or 3. I'm too dumb to mail it to seagate myself

The point of an extended warranty is that it extends beyond the manufacturer's warranty coverage and usually gives you beneficial bonuses within the manufacturer's coverage. A $20 warranty on a $30 item is just ridiculous, but a $60 warranty on a $300 item for three years when the manufacturer offers one year, tends to be more worth it depending on the item and known issues.

For example, on headphones with us, it's an over-the-counter exchange in store for two years and will cost about 10-20% of the product value. Covers wear and tear, short circuiting and any performance issues. For $20 for two years coverage on a pair of $150 headphones, it's usually worth swinging by your local store for an instant new pair instead of shipping it off for a few weeks.

The best thing you as a consumer could do is keep an open mind towards warranties, do your research on each major purchase you make and make your decision from there.

Jan 18, 2010 at 10:34 AM Post #10 of 20
For the D2000, probably not.

Cost to benefit needs to be taken into consideration. For example, I always warranty my computer chair because I know the hydraulics or back will fail. I use my chair that often, and have yet to have a chair stand up to a beating past three years.

Jan 18, 2010 at 1:29 PM Post #11 of 20
it actually depends on the cost of the item you're buying
$20 extra warranty on a $40 headphone is totally riduculous
the ratio needs to be higher

getting extended warranty is not BS. it's smart.
cool01

Jan 18, 2010 at 3:31 PM Post #12 of 20
Warranties for many consumer items are part of 'packing the deal', a strategy used by salespeople to sell that extra accessory or two, as part of an incentive/instruction for them at work.
For headphones, I wouldn't recommend getting an extra warranty other than the one supplied by the manufacturer.

Jan 18, 2010 at 4:17 PM Post #13 of 20
I actually noticed last night that my beyerdynamic T1s come with a 5 year warranty included!

Hat's off to beyerdynamic!

Jan 18, 2010 at 6:03 PM Post #14 of 20
Depends on the headphone construction. For D2000 I would choose this extra warranty , because of its building quality and construction. I owned one and the damn screw holding cups became loose and finally broke. I got new one under warranty , but I sold it immediately after that.

Jan 18, 2010 at 6:09 PM Post #15 of 20
Only with expensive headphones.

If you get a Grado headphone, don't get a warranty because you might want to mod them.

But I have Apple Care across 3 computers; it's worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back