Is a portable DAP my best option for a source and Schiit Valhalla
Jan 2, 2020 at 3:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

kitsvancouver

New Head-Fier
For the last couple of years, I’ve been using an iBasso DX80 into Schiit Valhalla 2 into Sennheiser HD800S/Beyerdynamic T1. I don’t have much time to use the set up and recently realized the iBasso was not working. It was not used much but the buttons on the front just stopped responding and I couldn’t navigate the UI (it was stuck on the play screen).

I never considered using anything other than a portable DAP as the source because I don’t really want to set up a laptop in my family room.

I’ve sent my iBasso to Shenzhen, China for repair but am thinking of getting another source component in case it takes too long to repair the iBasso or it costs too much to repair. So, if my requirements are in order of importance
1) smallish footprint so I don’t have to use up laptop-type space
2) line-out to my Valhalla 2. I’ve read it’s not good to use a headphone out
3) Album Artist sorting (different from Artist)
4) Price (as low as possible, but I’m willing to spend up to $1000)
5) can drive 300ohm headphones. I realize this could be a pipe dream so I’m willing to give this one up
6) Reliability. Stable UI and good track record of not breaking down.
7) Brand name with good support. I don’t expect the device to break down but it would be nice if the device had North American support options. I remember the Sony Walkman as a child so there is some nostalgia in that.

I’m looking at the Hiby R3 Pro because I don’t need the device to run Android apps. I already carry two cell phones, so the last thing I need is the ability to run apps from app stores. I’m totally happy with a device that is a dedicated music player. The number of DAP options is dizzying so I’d love to hear any other suggestions.

Also, I know this is debated quite a bit, but if a laptop or source other than a portable DAP provides way better sound quality, I might consider that? I just don’t like the hassle of looking for a player, setting up three devices, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2020 at 4:06 PM Post #2 of 4
For the last couple of years, I’ve been using an iBasso DX80 into Schiit Valhalla 2 into Sennheiser HD800S/Beyerdynamic T1. I don’t have much time to use the set up and recently realized the iBasso was not working. It was not used much but the buttons on the front just stopped responding and I couldn’t navigate the UI (it was stuck on the play screen).

I never considered using anything other than a portable DAP as the source because I don’t really want to set up a laptop in my family room.

The only things I'd worry about in using a DAP are:

1. Line output voltage...which isn't as much of a problem for a few years now. Newer DAPs are now at 2V.

2. Ergonomics. Most DAPs like this end up like that old Sony fishing rod controller. Fiio kind of had a workaround by enabling the line output signal through the USB connector and coming up with the DK1 dock but AFAIK they're starting to phase out the bulkier X series, and the M-series don't work with the DK1 (USB-C) with no plans for a replacement (the M-series might not have the same feature to begin with). Some have the line output on the bottom and you can use one of those universal smartphone docks/vertical holders.

I’ve sent my iBasso to Shenzhen, China for repair but am thinking of getting another source component in case it takes too long to repair the iBasso or it costs too much to repair. So, if my requirements are in order of importance
1) smallish footprint so I don’t have to use up laptop-type space
2) line-out to my Valhalla 2. I’ve read it’s not good to use a headphone out
3) Album Artist sorting (different from Artist)
4) Price (as low as possible, but I’m willing to spend up to $1000)
5) can drive 300ohm headphones. I realize this could be a pipe dream so I’m willing to give this one up
6) Reliability. Stable UI and good track record of not breaking down.
7) Brand name with good support. I don’t expect the device to break down but it would be nice if the device had North American support options. I remember the Sony Walkman as a child so there is some nostalgia in that.

I’m looking at the Hiby R3 Pro because I don’t need the device to run Android apps. I already carry two cell phones, so the last thing I need is the ability to run apps from app stores. I’m totally happy with a device that is a dedicated music player. The number of DAP options is dizzying so I’d love to hear any other suggestions.

Also, I know this is debated quite a bit, but if a laptop or source other than a portable DAP provides way better sound quality, I might consider that? I just don’t like the hassle of looking for a player, setting up three devices, etc.

You can use a smartphone. I send the signal from that to a DAC-HPamp. In your case get a Modi and put the phone dock on top of it.

7074632.jpg

Jan 2, 2020 at 4:31 PM Post #3 of 4
ProtegeManiac. Thank you for the information. I just learned last night that the iBasso DX80 has a line output voltage of 1.6V so that could explain why the volume is a bit low in the Valhalla. Does that make sense? In that case, maybe I should consider the Modi.

Hopefully, I can ask a few more questions:
  • Will using the Modi+smartphone provide better music quality than the DAP?
  • What app could I use on the smartphone that will play FLAC files? I have my library of CDs converted to FLAC that I put onto a MicroSD card in the iBasso
  • Which Modi would you recommend? I noticed there is a $99 option and a $249 option which is multibit
  • Do you just plug your smartphone directly to the DAC? The DAC recognizes the smartphone data? From the photos on the Schiit site, it looks like I would need a USB-A to USB-C cable.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2020 at 5:03 PM Post #4 of 4
Will using the Modi+smartphone provide better music quality than the DAP?

It will be higher voltage, so the immediate impression can be that it seems livelier. It might also reduce noise since you won't crank up the amp as much, but then that's on the amp; the flipside is a general purpose device with wireless stuff on it can introduce noise.

When I use my smartphone for reference listening I put it on Airplane Mode. For background listening the little bit of noise isn't a problem.

Note: YMMV depending on each DAC's USB input and the smartphone. Honestly even a cheap Android tablet as long as it's known to work via USB OTG adapter (or one you can test for this) might be a cheaper bet than a smartphone unless you find even an 8in tablet too big.

What app could I use on the smartphone that will play FLAC files? I have my library of CDs converted to FLAC that I put onto a MicroSD card in the iBasso

I use Neutron Music Player for my CD rips and Spotify for ones I haven't ordered.

Note that Neutron isn't the easiest to use interface and its horizontal mode (back when I had the Note 3 and the horizontal dock for it). I use it for its parametric EQ and Crossfeed. I also used Media Monkey and Foobar, better interface especially in horizontal mode, but I keep using Neutron for the DSP.

Which Modi would you recommend? I noticed there is a $99 option and a $249 option which is multibit

I'd worry more about the non-linear response of the Modi when USB input is used instead of the difference vs Multibit. But for one that's relatively easy to get and is known to work with many smartphones the Modi3 might be easier for you to get.

Otherwise I'd get around that USB issue on it and get the JDS Labs OL DAC.

Do you just plug your smartphone directly to the DAC? The DAC recognizes the smartphone data? From the photos on the Schiit site, it looks like I would need a USB-A to USB-C cable.

You're going to need a USB-C to USB-A OTG adapter for newer smartphones. Older phones only used the male to micro A to female USB-A adapter, then a regular USB-A to USB-B adapter. My S9 came with one but my SGS 7 and Note 4 still work, so I haven't pulled the regular mini-A to USB-A OTG adapter on my current dock (the one in the pic is a dedicated SGS3 dock and that phone broke its power management chip).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back