Is a portable amp worth it?
Feb 28, 2012 at 10:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

srivas95

New Head-Fier
I use a Razer orca and the bose ie2's, with my galaxy s2. I was thinking of getting a FiiO e6. is ot worth it? Will I notice any change in the audio quality? Im confused.

Feb 28, 2012 at 12:37 PM Post #2 of 13
I've listened to the Bose IE2 a couple of times (friends wanting me to hear how great they sound).  I hate to say this, but TBH with the Bose IE2, you won't notice much if any improvement in sound quality -- the Bose IE2 just doesn't have much improvement to give.  The E6 doesn't cost much, so you could try if you want, but it will just make your phone clunkier to use once you strap the E6 on (or carry it separately).

Feb 28, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #3 of 13

Quote:
I use a Razer orca and the bose ie2's, with my galaxy s2. I was thinking of getting a FiiO e6. is ot worth it? Will I notice any change in the audio quality? Im confused.

Heya,

Depends on the output of your Galaxy S2.

The Orca is very low impedance, 32ohms. They don't display the sensitivity rating in mW/dB so you cannot completely do a comparison, but I'd be willing to stretch the imagination to say it's likely a very high value to keep the headphone able to play off literally any device out there.

If you're having a problem with volume, then sure, go for it.
If you're able to hear it just fine without maxing out the volume, say if it's normal around 60ish% volume, then you're probably fine.
If you add the E6, the only real noticeable thing that will happen is that you'll get louder playback with less volume input from the Galaxy S2.

I think you should save your money and invest in a portable player, like a Sansa Clip instead. And then save up for a new headphone.

Very best,

Feb 28, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #5 of 13
Im using flac files. i think they're 1280kb/s

Feb 28, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #6 of 13
Heya,

Depends on the output of your Galaxy S2.

The Orca is very low impedance, 32ohms. They don't display the sensitivity rating in mW/dB so you cannot completely do a comparison, but I'd be willing to stretch the imagination to say it's likely a very high value to keep the headphone able to play off literally any device out there.

If you're having a problem with volume, then sure, go for it.
If you're able to hear it just fine without maxing out the volume, say if it's normal around 60ish% volume, then you're probably fine.
If you add the E6, the only real noticeable thing that will happen is that you'll get louder playback with less volume input from the Galaxy S2.

I think you should save your money and invest in a portable player, like a Sansa Clip instead. And then save up for a new headphone.

Very best,

Thanks! So i'll just make do for right now with only the sgs2, and save up for a pair of audio technica ATH-M50's

Feb 28, 2012 at 10:04 PM Post #7 of 13
the E6 itself is a decent enough amplifier. The main difference you will notice is the EQ settings since it has 3. other than that im not sure you'd hear much difference on Razor or Bose phones. 

that said, it always good to use an amplifier as from the drawing board to product the design is purpose built for audio. 

i would urge you to look into getting a set of iems or cans that are marketed more toward audiophile listening. the Dt770pro comes to mind, so do the Hifiman RE0s

Feb 28, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #8 of 13
Okay. i'm gonna buy a new pair of headphones under 150$. Which should i get? I prefer Over the head stuff

Feb 29, 2012 at 12:02 AM Post #9 of 13

Quote:
Okay. i'm gonna buy a new pair of headphones under 150$. Which should i get? I prefer Over the head stuff

Around that price range I would recommend Shure SRH-840 or the ATH-M50 (you could probably get the M50s for a lot cheaper since they are a common entry level headphone and you can find many in the for sale section).

Feb 29, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #10 of 13
Around that price range I would recommend Shure SRH-840 or the ATH-M50 (you could probably get the M50s for a lot cheaper since they are a common entry level headphone and you can find many in the for sale section).

Is it any better than My current IE2's? Audio Technica is an awesome brand.

Feb 29, 2012 at 11:05 AM Post #12 of 13
the HD 800 shows up the differences the best im my opinion. I dont own a pair but i did get to try one.

to the OP im actually looking to sell off my Shure SRH440s if you're  in my country, its too big to be worth shipping anywhere otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back