Is a new Stax Lambda Nova Basic + Stax SRM-XH for 325 euro a good deal?
Dec 17, 2014 at 1:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

020Assassin

100+ Head-Fier
I can buy a Stax Lambda Nova Basic set (+ Stax SRM-XH), never used, in original box, for 325 euro (incl. shipping).

I don't know the retail price, but I know Stax 'earspeakers' are well regarded and sought after, although not all models are 'valuable'.

From what I gathered the Basic is the entry model in the Lambda Nova, but the Classic and Signature are not often offered.

Anyone care to give me feedback?

Dec 17, 2014 at 5:54 PM Post #2 of 11
It is a nice deal usual Price would be some 400€ and the combo will sound as good as any 1000€ can plus 500€ amp today.

Dec 18, 2014 at 1:10 AM Post #3 of 11
Thank you, Dan. I've seen prices fluctuate on the different Stax Models. Not all models are desirable/valuable. Do you happen to know what the retail price was for these cans?

Dec 18, 2014 at 2:50 AM Post #4 of 11
The Acual 2170 set is 950€ and technically nearly the same. I would prefer it to any of the much more expensive 307-507 because it sounds smoother and the treble is not off.

And don't worry about the age. Try to cut the price to 300€ and you are fine.

Dec 18, 2014 at 3:06 AM Post #5 of 11
The owner wanted 375 but was willing to drop price to 350. I managed to get her to drop the price to 325 incl. insured shipping, so I don't think I can get her to drop the price even more.

I came across some cheaper options (a used SR30 for 70 euro), but from what I understand the Lambda Nova is a better option. Someone is selling a mint Nova Basic set in Canada for 499CAD, which would be about 400 euro (excl shipping). This set is supposed ot be better than mint.

I just don't want to find out that I paid 300+ euro for a set that would go for 140$ on ebay, it's difficult to find information on the original retail price and current value of older Stax headphones.

I'm not too worried about the age. From what I understand there are vintage Stax headphones going from father to son. And as the set hasn't been used, the cables and connectors probably won't need to be replaced yet.

Still, I don't have experience with electrostatic headphones, only dynamic like Sennheiser and Grado. The Stax set I want to buy has been reserved for me now, but I don't want to keep the seller waiting too long for my response when I might get a good deal on a real Stax.

Dec 18, 2014 at 3:09 AM Post #6 of 11
No, definatly not ebay price would be around 450€, and I follow each EU Stax sale there. The Cheaper sets are electrets like the SR-30 (no Bias needed but loose charge with time) and are bass anemic. The Lambda Nova is one of the more desired Electrostats.

Dec 18, 2014 at 4:09 AM Post #7 of 11
So I should be able to buy it safely and sell it for at least 325 if I don't want to hold on to it.

Dec 18, 2014 at 4:40 AM Post #8 of 11
I pulled the trigger! I'll report back when I have them.

Dec 20, 2014 at 10:17 AM Post #9 of 11
Well, they came in today and, as promised, they were unused and in the original packaging:

And below my wife is testing out the 'earspeakers':

And the 'energizer' fits just above my CD player:

Dec 30, 2014 at 4:48 AM Post #10 of 11
How does it sound, assassin? Did you buy it from an individual or a seller/dealer?

Dec 30, 2014 at 6:23 AM Post #11 of 11
How does it sound, assassin? Did you buy it from an individual or a seller/dealer?

I bought them on Marktplaats, a Dutch craigslist. The seller was an individual and I talked the price down from 375 plus shipping (15 euro) to 325 shipping included.

They sound great, but they can only be used at home. I hooked them up to a Tivoli Audio CD player so I have everything close to my throne. My wife complained a bit about me spending 150 euro on a practically new 400 euro CD player while there's a Marantz CD player across the room, but I don't drag out the 200euro on speeding tickets she accumulated the last two months.

The Stax has a huge reach in frequency, making even intricate music like Stanley Clarke or King Crimson sound relaxed. The attack and decay is awesome. Still, I don't think I would've paid a grand for them. Not because I don't think they're worth it, but because 300 euro for a pair of headphones is pretty much my upper limit. And I found that my main listening to music happens to be listening to my iPad while I'm writing my novels. And I mainly use my Grado SR60i or my recently built ZennJazzGrados for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back