Is a Little Dot MKIVse an overreach?
Jul 22, 2011 at 3:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

basisfunction

New Head-Fier
Hello Head-fi,

I am a super-lurker who is considering improvements to my home audio equipment. What I have now:

Sources:
Technics 1200MKII
Kenwood KD-2055
Apple iPod Touch playing ALAC

Receiver:
Harman-Kardon HK-430

Headphones:
HD590
HD595
HD598

Loudspeakers: HPM-100

Standard issue connectors.

No headphone amplifier yet.

I listen to a spectrum of music from classical to rock, I could be listening to something recorded by Deutsche Grammophon all the way to Steely Dan or Boston.

QUESTION: I am considering buying a Little Dot MKIII LD MKIV or MKIVse. Is this overreaching for my level of headphone? Also take into consideration that I am considering getting HD650s in the future.

NEXT QUESTION: I like the sound of my HD595 and HD598 as it is, is there a most obvious can I should seek out that is not a Sennheiser product?

Jul 22, 2011 at 4:11 PM Post #2 of 2
I will just point out fact that your headpohones are low impedance ones, while you choosed amps that have better synergy with high impedance headphones.
I would advise some solid state amp as they are known to have better synergy with low impedance headphones.

High-Z headphones needs more voltage to be driven properly and that is what are tube amps good at.
However, Low-Z headphones needs more current and little voltage, and SS amps are good at providing current.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back