Is a "Headphone Collection" stupid?
Oct 15, 2006 at 12:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 106

KrooLism

500+ Head-Fier
I was just told:

"That is the stupidest hobby I have ever heard of..."

...by a low fidelity friend that found out that I already own 5 headphones as well as her discovering the price of my new purchase - a pair of K-1000s.

so...

$1 000 000 Question : How many headphones do you own?

$1 000 000 000 Question : How much have you spent on audio gear all up in your whole life?

(after a few posts, I'll try to do an average.)

580smile.gif
3000smile.gif
orphsmile.gif
600smile.gif
basshead.gif
600smile.gif
k1000smile.gif
lambda.gif
etysmile.gif
eggosmile.gif
gs1000.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
280smile.gif

Oct 15, 2006 at 12:51 PM Post #2 of 106
With all due respect to your friend, i think she is not sensitive enough to respect the different hobbies of individuals. But then again...headphone collecting is not exactly a normal hobby though
biggrin.gif

That aside.....i've got 3 cans and 1 IEM at the moment.

$$ spent on audio : slightly around 2 grand and still going up.

Oct 15, 2006 at 12:58 PM Post #3 of 106
Stupid isn't the right word, maybe inefficient?

I tend to only have one headphone at a time, after doing a proper comparison of course. The can I prefer stays, the other up for sale.

So far there hasn't really been a time when I say each can has strengths that I like that are different enough to keep both.

As good as the Senn 650 I have on right now is, once my KGSS arrives its gone. It has wonderful strengths and faults that aren't showstoppers but with the Stax O2 in house I'm wasting my own time listening to it instead of the O2.

To me, the money I'd spend on a 'collection' could be better spent on building one great rig built around my preferred can than a more modest rig that tries to be all things to all cans.

To each his own though.

As for a total cost, easily over 40K at this point. Luckily a lot of it is recovered in selling the previous gear.

Oct 15, 2006 at 12:58 PM Post #4 of 106
I don't think its stupid at all!
We all have our passions/hobbies, and spend a lot of money maintaining it. If its headphones, cars, speakers rigs, shoes, etc. does not matter.

* I own 5-6 headphones.
* I have certainly spent more than USD 30.000 on audio gear so far.

So enjoy your hobby, and let people mean whatever they want about it!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 15, 2006 at 1:19 PM Post #5 of 106
Wow in my whole lifetime on just audio gear If I count my computers and speakers, mp3, cd, headphone , and stereo's I would have to say probably around 20K.
As far as a headphone collection I just can't seem to keep more than one pair at a time. I upgrade and get rid of my old phones.

Oct 15, 2006 at 1:37 PM Post #6 of 106
There are plenty of forlornly prosaic people in the world who regard any hobby or raison d'etre with disapprobation and suspicion, simply because they lack one themself.

With all the rubbish in the world trying to bring you down day after day, things that bring pleasure and get your pulse racing, no matter how trifling their outward appearance, are infinitely precious.

Oct 15, 2006 at 1:47 PM Post #7 of 106
I am sure your friends collection of ceramic polar bears is pretty rewarding, however.

I own one pair of full size, one pair of iems, a pair of ear buds, and a pair of wireless "bedroom theatre" headphones. However, I plan to get a pair of Darth Beyers and some Stax headphones soon. I would also like to have a pair of RS-1's on hand again at some point.

Every set of these will serve some purpose, but even if they didnt, I would not consider it stupid. Perhaps it as frivolous as any other hobby, but I get more daily use out of my headphones and amps than I think most people get out of their collection of things.

Oct 15, 2006 at 1:58 PM Post #9 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl
There are plenty of forlornly prosaic people in the world who regard any hobby or raison d'etre with disapprobation and suspicion, simply because they lack one themself.

With all the rubbish in the world trying to bring you down day after day, things that bring pleasure and get your pulse racing, no matter how trifling their outward appearance, are infinitely precious.

If there ever was a post worthy of quoting... this is it. *applauds*

Oct 15, 2006 at 2:00 PM Post #10 of 106
Please... women are the biggest collector's of worthless items.

Think about this, Say you buy a $300 pair of cans. Two years later, you decide to sell said cans, and upgrade. You should be able to get $150-175 for those, to put towards the next set.

Your friend goes and spends $300 for a Coach purse. 2 years later, she doesn't like it anymore, so she decides to sell it. She might be able to get $10 for it. Women wouldn't buy a used bag, and because that thing is probably out of style 2 years later.

YOu tell me, which collection is more worthless?

Oct 15, 2006 at 2:15 PM Post #12 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by nfusion770
I am sure your friends collection of ceramic polar bears is pretty rewarding, however.

Now that would be a cool hobby.

Oct 15, 2006 at 2:38 PM Post #13 of 106
There were two phase in my "Head-Fi career". Phase one was when I was listening to my equipment more than the music. That's when I went out of control and owned just about every major cans and lots of amps. Phase two is when I settled down and found the cans and amp that would let me get lost in my music. As you can see from my sig...I have few now and enjoy more than ever. It's about the Head-Fi journey and lost wallets
biggrin.gif

Oh...and let's not start discussing cable magic
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back