Is a headphone amp and DAC a good investment for HD650s (noob questions)
Jun 17, 2014 at 11:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Iridescence

New Head-Fier
Hi I'm just getting replacing my HD650 headphones. I just got a very expensive silver replacement cable and I use a Musiland Monitor 2 to connect them from my computer to an old powerful  Sansui amp from the 1970s. I find this set up gives very good sound.

I don't know a lot about DACs/DAPS and Headphone amplifiers. Would I get a lot of bang for buck from adding these to my setup? What is a good value one that works well with 650s? I don't really want to spend more than $200-$300 and preferably less.

What exactly is the big advantage that a dedicated amp/dac/dap would give me?

Oh I listen almost exclusively to high quality lossless audio if that makes a difference. Mostly Rock, Folk and trip-hop/shoegaze

Jun 18, 2014 at 5:37 AM Post #2 of 4
Definitely. HD650s are considered generally higher end so it is almost imperative that you hook it up to a good dedicated amp to realise its full potential. A dedicated one is most often better than a portable one since there will be audio compromises when you try to fit the components into a smaller unit.

I personally use a tube amp as I find it complements well with headphones. They generally give a warmer buzz to the music (personal taste)

Jun 18, 2014 at 6:13 AM Post #3 of 4
Yes, by all means get yourself an amp.

You will really like yourself for it and the HD650 benefits from it greatly.

Jun 18, 2014 at 9:03 AM Post #4 of 4
Like others have said, the 650's scale very well with high-end stuff, so if you were to upgrade it would most likely end up improving the sound. However I do not recommend a blind buy, perhaps you could find a place near you to demo amps/DACs with your headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back