is a go-vibe capable of powering hd 595's? is the amp necessary?
Dec 31, 2006 at 5:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

slow diver

New Head-Fier
the 595's will be my first "good" headphones and i need to know a good amp solution (and if that solution is even needed)

also, can someone explain exactly what i'll need other than the amp and headphone if i'm using an ipod as my source? line out, something like that... i forget..

-ryan

Dec 31, 2006 at 6:45 PM Post #2 of 34
The Go-Vibe 5 or 5S is capable of driving the HD595. A 9V battery will suffice, but if you want to be absolutely positive that you are giving it enough juice, get the 24V Elpac power supply. Overall, it is a darn good amp, especially for the price.

You will need your Ipod, your amp, your HD595, and some way to connect your Ipod to your amp. This can be either a simple mini-mini cable to go from the Ipod's headphone out to the input of the GoVibe, OR, you can use a dock adapter to use the line-out signal of your Ipod to the GoVibe. The lineout will no doubt give you a better sound but it is the last 10% type of improvement. Finally, you will probably hear otherwise, but for me personally I am not a big believer in fancy boutique cables that are $$$, but YMMV.

Dec 31, 2006 at 8:23 PM Post #3 of 34
The GoVibe and 595 was one of my first combos. It was terrific. This was GV3
so the amp is much better now. My son has GV5 and Norm has really improved the product. I found a good IC (such as Turbo's) and his Turbodock made a big
big difference in the ipod-->595 connection.

Dec 31, 2006 at 10:15 PM Post #4 of 34
After some searching around, I just bought a GV5 from Norm. He's great to deal with, and I'll tell you about the sound once I get it.

I made a cheap mini-mini interconnect cable (cost me ~$10 and some parts I have lying around) and I'm going to get an iPod dock and just use my cable to connect to the amp from the iPod line out.

These are examples of some iPod line out cables, scroll down a bit and you'll see them:
http://www.aloaudio.com/

Dec 31, 2006 at 11:16 PM Post #5 of 34
I agree w/dw6928's recommendation on the Turbo Diabolous V line-out dock cable. Send TURBO a PM and he'll send back pics & the price of $50 - which is more-than-reasonable - for this great performing lower-priced (but NOT lower-quality) cable. I have one - just got it last week - and it has actually expanded the claustrophobic soundstage of my Grado headphones, which I've always felt was unattainable (heck, I've modded them to the max and never had any luck increasing that soundstage)!!!

Anyway, Go-Vibe + Turbo Diabolous V + Senns = Fun, fun, fun!

Let us know what you decide. But, you really should listen to us . . .
evil_smiley.gif
zD
etysmile.gif

Jan 1, 2007 at 12:22 AM Post #7 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by slow diver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the 595's will be my first "good" headphones and i need to know a good amp solution (and if that solution is even needed)

No you really don't need it. The HD595 will perform quite well driven by the iPod directly.

If you're planning on an amp (which, if good & if you connect it to a line out, would certainly improve sound quality), I would recommend the XTRA X-1 (on ebay), which would probably have a fine synergy with the HD595.

Jan 1, 2007 at 1:59 AM Post #8 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No you really don't need it. The HD595 will perform quite well driven by the iPod directly.

If you're planning on an amp (which, if good & if you connect it to a line out, would certainly improve sound quality), I would recommend the XTRA X-1 (on ebay), which would probably have a fine synergy with the HD595.

...but not a Go -Vibe.
blink.gif

Jan 1, 2007 at 5:29 AM Post #10 of 34
Quote:

not necessarily true. the go-vibe (with an ipod and 595's) makes a signifcant improvement to me, especially on low level recorded songs.

Jan 1, 2007 at 9:41 AM Post #11 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by waterfrontmgmt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
not necessarily true. the go-vibe (with an ipod and 595's) makes a signifcant improvement to me, especially on low level recorded songs.

Of course it is true. I used for a while the HD595 driven directly by my brother's Samsung YH-J70 DAP, and it sounded surprisingly great. It made me feel like the basic amps (like the Go-Vibe) would be *almost* useless. That's why I recommended the XTRA X-1, that is a design a step above every Go-Vibe ever seen (and the performance mirrors it, if you ask me!).

Jan 1, 2007 at 10:17 AM Post #12 of 34
One more thing - knowing well how the HD595 sounds (I've had it long enough), I don't really think I would recommend the Go-Vibe v5 as a synergic complement to it
blink.gif

Jan 1, 2007 at 4:25 PM Post #13 of 34
Quote:

Of course it is true. I used for a while the HD595 driven directly by my brother's Samsung YH-J70 DAP, and it sounded surprisingly great. It made me feel like the basic amps (like the Go-Vibe) would be *almost* useless. That's why I recommended the XTRA X-1, that is a design a step above every Go-Vibe ever seen (and the performance mirrors it, if you ask me!).

ok, sorry...i was speaking from actual experience. apparantly you know that the samsung and ipod sound exactly alike and that source recordings are all the same. i only have an ipod, which is what i think the op was asking about.

to the OP, if some of your files have low volume coming out of your ipod, the go vibe amp will bring them to life....and will NOT be wasted.

are there better amps? sure there are.

Jan 1, 2007 at 7:20 PM Post #14 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by waterfrontmgmt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok, sorry...i was speaking from actual experience. apparantly you know that the samsung and ipod sound exactly alike and that source recordings are all the same. i only have an ipod, which is what i think the op was asking about.

to the OP, if some of your files have low volume coming out of your ipod, the go vibe amp will bring them to life....and will NOT be wasted.

are there better amps? sure there are.

Do not waste your time, regardless of what amp you bring up the Go-Vibe will always be worst, at least that is the way Andrea's sees it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back