Is a cheapie portable amp worthwhile for home use?
Oct 25, 2007 at 12:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

santiclaws

100+ Head-Fier
I have a pair of EA RP-22x's on the way, and will be plugging them into my home computer with a Chaintech AV-710 sound card. Will I get any kind of a significant improvement in SQ with a portable amp like a P2V2 or similar, or would I just be spending money on a very small step up in SQ, if any? Yes, I realize that if I spent more I'd get a bigger improvement, but not in a very spendy position at the moment.

Oct 25, 2007 at 12:36 AM Post #2 of 8
I currently have a little dot mini and recently heard a pa2v2 and thought it sounded better. My first setup was a dell dj15 with senn hd497 phones then added a ebay cmoy and the sound was much tighter. So I am in the camp of even a cheap amp should sound better than none...I have never heard that boosteroo thing but it doesn't get any love in this site.

Oct 25, 2007 at 1:45 AM Post #3 of 8
Absolutely not!

You disturb me!

j/k
evil_smiley.gif

A portable amp is better than no amp.

-Ed

Oct 25, 2007 at 2:06 AM Post #4 of 8
LOL @ Edwood.

I would say no. I would try it first and see if you clip or have audible distortion. The PA2V2, IMO, is near the bottom of the barrel.

The Chaintech is OK, nothing great.

Given that you aren't in a spendy mood, I would wait and see. The Chaintech may have enough juice to power the RP-22X, as it does have the sensitivity of smaller headphones made for ipods, etc.

In other words, I'd rather buy nothing than buy a PA2V2. Then, when you feel like upgrading later, see where you want to go. The Pico will be out by then, if you want to be small and portable (like with a laptop) or something more hefty like a DIY path (Chaintech transport + Opus DAC + Zapfilter + DIY amp) or something like a DAC with an integrated headphone amp, like the Beresford TC-7510, Zhaolu 2.5, Benchmark DAC1, Apogee, etc. and invest in a more sizeable amp after that.

Oct 25, 2007 at 6:10 AM Post #6 of 8
You need an amp if you're using the high quality DAC on the AV-710. It outputs a line level signal and won't be able to properly drive any pair of headphones, no matter the impedance. Even if it's just a low-end Cmoy or a PA2V2 you will notice an improvement, though obviously a better amp will sound better.

Oct 25, 2007 at 4:52 PM Post #8 of 8
I had the same headphones. They don't really require an amp, and though can improve with one, the differences are subtle, even with an excellent home amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back