is 4GB sufficient?
Feb 27, 2004 at 6:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

jeri534

100+ Head-Fier
I was just wondering rougly how many high quality mp3s the ipod mini can hold, Im kind of in a bind between a couple players, I dont have a lot of CDs, I have a small library...

thanks

Feb 27, 2004 at 6:26 AM Post #2 of 21
Welcome to Head-Fi.

4GB of -aps LAME MP3s should be about 50 albums. If you want to use 160 iTunes AAC you should get about 60.

Is 4GB enough... is up to you. I use a 1st gen 5GB (though encode at 224 AAC so files take up more space) and rarely feel the limit. I'm really never into more albums than that at a time, so for me it's not an issue. With possibilities at 40GB though, some would feel cramped. All depends.

Feb 27, 2004 at 6:43 AM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by jeri534
what kind of encoding gives at least or close to cd quality? thats what Im going to be aiming for..

.wav encoding might be what you are after. It IS cd quality.
280smile.gif

Feb 27, 2004 at 6:45 AM Post #5 of 21
At least? You're not going to get better!
wink.gif

CD quality is WAV or AIFF. Expect 6 CDs to fit on the iPod mini if you use that though.

Near CD quality would be -aps or greater MP3s (using LAME encoder) or 192 AAC (though if you're on the PC you can use Neros presets). You can see some file size comparisons here.

Hydrogen Audio's has a ton of info in their various forums.

You may also find this site interesting. Be aware though he's using iTunes MP3 encoder for comparisons, not LAME. In a recent HA 128 kb/s test, iTunes finished last, so it's not a fair MP3 versus AAC comparison, though if you're only using iTunes it is. At least you can hear the differences between the various bitrates (AAC in that case, though transcoded to MP3).

Feb 27, 2004 at 6:50 AM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by hottyson
.wav encoding might be what you are after. It IS cd quality.
280smile.gif

I should have mentioned besides wav
wink.gif

I am not an audiophile or anything but I just love being able to hear all the instruments playing crisp and clear, I remember when I was a noob to MP3s and ripped them around 128kbps, that was a nightmare, I just want a good quality encoding that will be good..if you know what I mean

Feb 27, 2004 at 6:52 AM Post #7 of 21
4GB is sufficient for me if i were to pick out the ones that i exactly want to listen to...

its not enough for me if i want to try listening to some of the songs i got recently...

also i have about 30gb of music in mp3s
so yea... that's whay i got iriver... no need for 40gb..cuz i keep deleting out all the songs i dont end up liking or gets old...

so if u have about 8gb-10gb of music then you should be find with 4gbs.. otherwise get something larger... cuz u'll want it later...

Feb 27, 2004 at 6:56 AM Post #8 of 21
i got the 15 gb, i should have opped for the 10 gb
frown.gif
anyways 4gb is alot of music, but not a whole lot. I store 5 gb on mine.

I think the mini is good if you dont intend to store alot of music (listen to ones u want and put different ones when ur bored)

Feb 27, 2004 at 8:51 AM Post #11 of 21
4 gb is enough for day to day stuff, listening at work, working out, etc. i think it's not enough for a trip or vacation...i fly cross country and to hawaii a lot...that's at least five hours each way, not including waiting times...i encode most music at 320 mp3 via lame, so i don't fit much to begin with. plus, i like having a larger selection available, even if i don't listen to all of them.

Feb 27, 2004 at 11:01 AM Post #12 of 21
If you have the ability to use the updated WindowsMedia Player version 9 then you can do what they "call" lossless encoding in WMA. Takes about a third to a half of the WAV file size. I have tried it but cannot distinguish a difference using my portapros (my etys are on the way and maybe then I'll cringe at the difference who knows).

But this could be a way to get almost a dozen albums on 4 gig without losing quality.

I notice that for signal to noise the Creative stuff like the MuVo 2 4 gig has a claimed 98 db signal to noise ratio - hiss should be very very low. My thinking is perfect for quality. But without a line out can I upgrade to an amp later... hmmm someone might let me know but I doubt the headphone out jack should be used for an amp (any thoughts?).

Cheers,

Tony AAA

Feb 27, 2004 at 3:08 PM Post #13 of 21
Well, WMA lossless isn't supported on any portable player, so that knocks that out. Only lossless support at the moment is the Karma with FLAC. If though you cringe (Etys or not) at the difference between lossless (WMA or FLAC, Monkeys, etc.) and WAV, you'll win the coveted 2004 Golden Ears Award [size=xx-small]TM[/size].
wink.gif
Barring decoding/playback issues (with the lossless or the uncompressed) they should sound exactly the same.

Feb 27, 2004 at 5:25 PM Post #14 of 21
On the Muvo2 4gb, I don't see any problem using the headphone jack to feed an amp. And yes, it is quite noise free. I can only detect a small amount of hiss when the volume is pushed to level 25 and my ears are hurting.

4gb is sufficient for my everyday use, since I only listen to about two hours of music and maybe more of audiobooks (which are 32kbps encoded).

Feb 27, 2004 at 11:10 PM Post #15 of 21
I was considering the Mini iPod. Now; I'm glad I went for more!! 20GB should be just right!!!

Man!! I love this thing! I now have about 650 songs loaded up - mostly full albums.
280smile.gif
280smile.gif
280smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back