Is 2019 MacBook Pro's DAC sufficient for HD6xx and external amp?
Feb 14, 2024 at 8:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

raduray

100+ Head-Fier
I have a 2019 MacBook Pro and just ordered a pair of Sennheiser HD 6xx headphones. From everything I've read, I'll need an external amplifier to get the most of those headphones and I'm thinking about the Schiit Asgard 3. What I'm wondering, is the Mac's internal DAC is good enough so that I can connect the Mac's headphone jack to the amp, or should I get the Asgard's optional DAC module to connect to the laptop over USB?

Feb 14, 2024 at 8:18 PM Post #2 of 4
I have a 2019 MacBook Pro and just ordered a pair of Sennheiser HD 6xx headphones. From everything I've read, I'll need an external amplifier to get the most of those headphones and I'm thinking about the Schiit Asgard 3. What I'm wondering, is the Mac's internal DAC is good enough so that I can connect the Mac's headphone jack to the amp, or should I get the Asgard's optional DAC module to connect to the laptop over USB?
I would suggest to begin with optional DAC to begin with and add better DAC later.

Feb 14, 2024 at 9:08 PM Post #3 of 4
I've had them many times and would start with the Apple Firewire or USB to 3.5mm adapter which will power them, but no headroom for equalizing. For $9 you can't beat it. Doing a 3.5mm to RCA will have a noise floor, I've tried it many times and at higher volumes when a song is paused you'll hear it. The Asgard is a smooth sounding amplifier, but the onboard DAC is the weak link and holds it back with just 1.45v when it should be higher. The SMSL C200 used on Amazon now is $125 and has lots of performance and power (I have one) with perfect channel matching. It also makes an excellent DAC if you decide to add more power in the future with a bigger amp. For the HD6xx it's way more than enough though.

Feb 14, 2024 at 9:46 PM Post #4 of 4
I've used the HD 650 straight out of Macs since the 2005 Mini. Unless you listen at rock concert levels, you shouldn't even need an amp let alone a stand alone an external DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back