Iriver?!
Oct 13, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #2 of 26
Cause their players are crap in todays market,... 
deadhorse.gif

Oct 13, 2011 at 9:21 PM Post #3 of 26
I was testing S100, E150, E300 with Vsonic GR07 and found them sounding very good (better than Cowon C2, Sony S754 and much better than Clip plus).
S100 isn't slow as E-series. All of them has good screens and interface, good battery.
I've found them not so bad:)

Oct 14, 2011 at 2:12 AM Post #5 of 26
I'd like to know this too. Their players look really nice and simple. I can't seem to find any reviews on the E300 or the S100. OP, what did you think of the UI of the players you tested? 

Oct 14, 2011 at 2:32 AM Post #6 of 26
I would really like to find out about the players mentioned by the OP as well!

I was wondering what happened to iriver recently too, and was pleasantly surprised by the appearance of the E300 as well as the features available. However, what little information I was able to find while trawling the interwebs has been largely negative with little positives. See the following:

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65720
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64905
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64691

I would really like to know if the UI is indeed slow and awkward to use and also how well the player integrates music on the SD card with music held in the onboard memory. Oh and also what interface buttons feel like - are they really tactile or is it some kind of touch system?

So, OP! If you could kindly indulge us with some more detailed descriptions..?  :)

Oct 14, 2011 at 6:07 AM Post #7 of 26
Buttons are tactile.
UI is normal, better than on Cowon C2.
Screens are normal without any magic.
I was testing them with my microSD card (4Gb) and no problems with response, less than a minute.

Read about troubles with Sansa Players, but lot of people still loves them. 

I don't find them bad, especially S100.

Oct 14, 2011 at 6:51 AM Post #8 of 26
I don't see the point in iRivers - you may as well just get a Cowon.

Plus I would never want to use a player again that only had touch controls.

Oct 14, 2011 at 1:54 PM Post #9 of 26

Quote:
Buttons are tactile.
UI is normal, better than on Cowon C2.
Screens are normal without any magic.
I was testing them with my microSD card (4Gb) and no problems with response, less than a minute.

Read about troubles with Sansa Players, but lot of people still loves them. 

I don't find them bad, especially S100.

Thanks for the response! In a link Sceleris posted, somebody was complaining that the artist directory was not automatically alphabetized. I think I also read somewhere that the memory card has a completely different folder from the rest of the internal memory. Can you comment on this?

Quote:
I don't see the point in iRivers - you may as well just get a Cowon.

Plus I would never want to use a player again that only had touch controls.

Only touch controls? I thought the iRivers were all tactile? Also, would you care to explain your distaste for iRivers? OP said that they sound better than the Cowon C2. That plus the fact that they're a lot cheaper would be a good reason to choose an iRiver over a Cowon, but I'd like to hear from your perspective.

Oct 14, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #10 of 26
Touch controls has some models, for example E200.
Also all of them has a good build quality.
What about Clix, T10, Spinn, L? Lot of us were having them and were feeling ok about the sound:)
New models are not so bad, like lot of people think.

Feb 2, 2012 at 2:04 PM Post #12 of 26
I have an old tank of an iRiver. I think they make solid players. Even if they're not the most popular on Head-Fi, they're good players. Thanks for the link to the e300, I might be needing a new dap.

Feb 9, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #13 of 26
I think one reason iRiver was forgotten was because of missed opportunities.  They created a very popular and high quality device in the H1xx series nearly ten years ago.  That was followed with the H300 series which was then followed by....well....nothing.  They had the ideas and the momentum to develop superior devices which would continue to appeal to the Head-fi crowd.  When they shifted gears and went to smaller capacity players with only average performance (probably to satisfy the Asian market) they just lost many people's interest here.

I wish they had continued with what they had created....I still own four iRiver H1xx's and have been very happy with them. 

Feb 9, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #14 of 26

Quote:
I think one reason iRiver was forgotten was because of missed opportunities.  They created a very popular and high quality device in the H1xx series nearly ten years ago.  That was followed with the H300 series which was then followed by....well....nothing.  They had the ideas and the momentum to develop superior devices which would continue to appeal to the Head-fi crowd.  When they shifted gears and went to smaller capacity players with only average performance (probably to satisfy the Asian market) they just lost many people's interest here.

I wish they had continued with what they had created....I still own four iRiver H1xx's and have been very happy with them. 

So true.  All I wanted was a modern update of the H120 with a bigger hardrive, better battery life and improved ui and that would have been me sorted.  Hell my iriver still runs about 5 hours on a full charge on the original battery.  Keep toying with the idea of dropping an ssd in there but have no idea where to start (I've seen that other thread, but now mistic river has died a lot of good info was lost).  Funnily enough the iriver is still kicking whilst my friend has been through at least two ipod classics and a touch!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back