Iriver vs. Iaudio
Oct 9, 2007 at 5:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

Borky

Head-Fier
I can't decide between these three players:
Iriver Clix 2 8Gb
Iaudio D2 8GB
Iaudio 7 8GB

I've heard good things about all of them, but there seems to be no general consensus as to which edges out the competition. The Clix 2 looks great, but if I'm not mistaken the battery life is less than that of the Iaudios. While I'm not opposed to charging every day or other day, it would be nice to go without it.

Most important qualities I'm looking for though are a good interface where I can play by directory structure, easy drag and drop addition of music, and most importantly sound quality. I don't care about video as the screen size of these is way too small for me to really have a use for reguarly, and they don't have that much storage either. So help me decide here please.

Oct 9, 2007 at 6:55 AM Post #2 of 31
I would recommend the iAUDIO7. Its interface is not the best but it has drag and drop and the battery life is more than 50 hours( I am chargin my 7 once in two weeks...) The sound quality is on the same level as Iriver Clix 2 Iaudio D2 or ewen better. So if you do not care about video, go and buy the 7.

Oct 9, 2007 at 9:19 AM Post #4 of 31
SQ wise clix2 wins with the D2. FLAC support doesn't help the D2 because you still get more of the music listening to mp3 320kb/s from the iRiver than going lossless with the D2. I haven't heard the i7 but my friend with similar sound liking to mine was disappointed with its boring and "absent" sound. With the clix2 and D2 you can choose the transmission protocol between UMS and MTP, so each one offers Drag & Drop actually. Also, any of them is capable of sorting files by folders or tags (selectable). D2 should have the longest battery life, of course. 1600mAh makes a difference.
rs1smile.gif

Oct 11, 2007 at 2:05 AM Post #5 of 31
Three posts and still three different answers. Can someone else weigh in and help me? I'm leaning with the D2 as it stands now. The Clix 2 battery life seems to be significant weakness and I doubt the sound quality is that much better, correct me if I'm wron.g

Oct 11, 2007 at 2:20 AM Post #6 of 31
Who really cares how long the battery is?
I mean with the clix I charge it every other day and it's something that never bothers me. All DAPs these days last a good amount of time and going from about 24 hours on the clix to 50 hours on the cowon is almost unnecessary.

Oct 11, 2007 at 2:30 AM Post #7 of 31
If it were few years ago, my preference list was like this.

iRiver > Cowin >>> samsung >= sony, pana > apple >>>>> god knows what brands from god knows where.

In these days, I do not think that way any more. A lot of new products, I lost track of it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 11, 2007 at 2:52 AM Post #8 of 31
My 2 cents:

Darker vs Brighter.
iRiver vs iAudio.

Oct 11, 2007 at 3:04 AM Post #9 of 31
im deciding over the exact same three players too.

iRiver Clix 2 8Gb
iAudio D2 8GB
iAudio 7 16GB (just released)

i was set on the iAudio 7, having previously had the iAudio M3. I'm now leaning towards the iAudio D2 8GB purely because of the SD expansion slot, which can allow for a further 32GB upgrade (providing you can afford the card).
i couldn't care less about the video features, i'm just after a flash based player with good SQ, decent battery, file tree browsing and memory expansion. The D2 meets all these and much more.

the sound quality is my biggest concern, i know for a fact that neither of these players can compare in sound quality to the iAudio M3 or X5 HDD based Models, which does disappoint me. however you can get pretty close with the D2/I7 if you tailor the EQ and jeteffect settings to the specific headphones you are using.

all three are very small and sexy but imo the D2 is better than the Clix2 because of the superior battery life and power output. while the interface on the iaudio 7 is pretty horrid, both interfaces for clix2 and D2 are nice, i love the touch screen and stylus which doubles a kickstand for the D2.
another alternative may be the iRiver X20 8GB flash player, which has SD memory expansion, although i wouldn't bother with it as SQ and usability are poor from what iv'e read.

Oct 12, 2007 at 4:58 PM Post #13 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by majkel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only players offering playback are: Trekstor Vibez, Rio Karma and Samsung Yp-Z5. The last two are discontinued.

You forgot: any iPod running RockBox.

Oct 12, 2007 at 5:50 PM Post #14 of 31
hissy versus mostly silent: iriver - iaudio. all iriver products i have used have hissed more than ipod and ipod hisses slightly more than newer iaudio products. i have the d2 and it sound great if you like detail. it it not too warm but it serves up electronica very well.

every iriver i have used has been unusable by iems - i do not mean canalphones like cx300 and vmoda but um2 and e500 for instance. i will admit that i do not care for iriver so if another player that has come out is okay to listen to with iems, then i must be disarmed. my d2 is rated for 52 hours of battery but i have never with no extras enabled rated over 33 hours of playback.

if you hate ipod for adverstising 14 hours of playback and only getting 13,5 hours, then you are in for trouble as this one only gets 2/3 of playback time. i have an ipod touch that after all its bigger screen and extras gets roughly the same battery life. it does of course, have a slightly more hiss. i expect the same from cowon x5 and archos newer players. cheers and good luck..

Oct 12, 2007 at 6:18 PM Post #15 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by ankst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the sound quality is my biggest concern, i know for a fact that neither of these players can compare in sound quality to the iAudio M3 or X5 HDD based Models, which does disappoint me. however you can get pretty close with the D2/I7 if you tailor the EQ and jeteffect settings to the specific headphones you are using.

Is there actually a big difference between D2 or 7 and X5?
I have the X5 which I think is pretty good SQ-wise and I am considering the D2 or 7 for better portability. But I expected the same level of SQ.... I would be very dissapointed if that would not be the case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back