iriver to ipod?
Jan 1, 2005 at 4:15 AM Post #31 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Iriver
And then again for those long drives, ipod has no radio. An advantage of the Iriver.

Yet.
wink.gif

This rumor was mentioned to me by a BestBuy associate this week to convince me to not buy a Sirius radio right now. I said, yeah, that's been going around for a while. And he said "... but the difference is before it was just a rumor." I asked, he stonewalled. Does he know something? Who knows.

Jan 1, 2005 at 2:08 PM Post #33 of 44
iPod has much better playlists, I've heard iRiver has many problems associates with playlist (none!?), so you should check it out before embarking on the iRiver option. Having said that the iRiver does provide more option for the same price. iRiver does provide firmware updates, but are not known for their promptness in providing them.

All in all, the iPod had too much backing, and was well known enough for me to choice the iPod, there wasn't enough information about iRiver's device.

I the end i may just end on which one you like, I just had to go for the click wheel rather than the iRivers buttons...
icon10.gif

Jan 1, 2005 at 5:03 PM Post #34 of 44
iPod playlists are a dream to work with, iPod's menus seems "right there" while the iRivers are kinda hidden...But believe me this navigation issue is so far blown out of proportion that it really taints an awesome iRiver product. I wouldn't hold it against the iRiver.

I have heard both an iPod 4G and a few iRiver players, ihp, ifp, h3XX....

What I have noticed, (note: these are all on flat EQ) the iRiver sound seems to be more on stage where as the ipod sounds like you are just listening to an mp3 player. I think the iRiver creates a good simulation of almost a live setting.

Bass is very noticeable, on my friends ipod, the lack of bass ruined some good rap songs, but some people don't like bass

Jan 2, 2005 at 9:14 AM Post #35 of 44
the radio is cool, reception is so-so, but it's unfortunately not one of these Xact ZS028.

thanks for all the new replies, but some of you may not have caught the part where i said that i actually own an iriver h100 and already have a few of my own +s and -s.

here are my gripes (in order) of the iriver product
-navigation
-even though the queue button is incredibly handy, when the fudge is there going to be a playlist feature?
-thanks for trying, but when the fudge is there going to be a True gapless playback?
-actually, i seriously can't think of anything else. if it wasn't for the first three i totally wouldn't be second guessing buying a gen4 ipod over an h140.

when i first got my h100, a friend let me borrow her gen3 ipod. i admit, the first few hours playing around with the ipod is WAY more fun then the iriver. i was like, "ok this is really cute *giggle, giggle* i just found a song 0-60 in 2.5 seconds." but then i was like now what? where's the lineout? why is the max volume so low? why is it so damn sensitive (it's a like a girl in a cheerleader locker room who just found another girl called her a cow).

honestly, the chances that i'd buy a gen4 ipod over an h140 were first only 17.4%. now after reading some of your opinions, it's now a staggering 26.9%.

Jan 2, 2005 at 10:47 AM Post #36 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by sanity8me
here are my gripes (in order) of the iriver product
-navigation
-even though the queue button is incredibly handy, when the fudge is there going to be a playlist feature?
-thanks for trying, but when the fudge is there going to be a True gapless playback?
-actually, i seriously can't think of anything else. if it wasn't for the first three i totally wouldn't be second guessing buying a gen4 ipod over an h140.

You do realise that the iPod doesn't do gapless playback either? So really it's only the first two you should worry about!!

If you can accept 20Gb then the Rio Karma does everything that you want and more. It has more playback options than the iPod and does gapless well. The Rio DJ will make you a smart playlist on the player itself, rather than rely on computer generation. It also has loseless compression in FLAC.

You should seriously consider the Karma as it comes closest to the specification you want. Can you accept 20Gb?

Jan 2, 2005 at 5:34 PM Post #37 of 44
actually this time i'm goin for a 40gb. the karma is nice. i played around with it in compusa for a while, but its just not my type of player. i think i'd ctually prefer the gen4 ipod over it, although i do remember its sound quality to be quite profound. i actually believe rio is going in the right direction, but i hope they're next karma isn't going to be as bulky and (no offense) bland. to each his own.

Jan 2, 2005 at 6:00 PM Post #38 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by lindrone
The bass roll-off issue was tested with 3rd gen iPod. I don't believe that anyone has tested the 4th gen iPod in the same regard. From head-to-head hearing tests, 4th gen iPod's sound is more dynamic, and the bass does not seem to be rolled off anymore.

True. 4G has the newer Wolfson DAC; battery; better power management, battery and a few little tweaks in the electronics/signal path DO seem to give it a significant edge, sound wise, over the 3G. I sold my 3G 40GB the day I heard both L/O and H/O on the (then spankin' new) 4G at BB... I took the 40GB 4G home. I own (and really like) the HP140; the soundstage gets better than the HP 140 with L/O on the iPod; equivalent with H/O... but the 4G iPod's sonic detail, balance, and extension throughout its tonal spectrum are superior, IMO.

Jan 2, 2005 at 7:14 PM Post #39 of 44
which player sounds better amped and un amped? I am under the impression that the iriver sounds better un amped but amped they sound the same.

Jan 2, 2005 at 7:48 PM Post #40 of 44
Another advantage of the iPod is all of the 3rd party accessory support for the iPod. In most cases it would seem that you would be lucky to find a handful of just cases for the iRiver, or any other player for that matter. You can get iPod accessories ranging from 100's of different cases, portable speakers, WiFi docks, media readers, and even several integrated car audio interfaces like the Denison, Alpine, BMW, and more on the way like Clarion. The choices are getting so vast now you can even get stupid things like flashlights and lasers. Most of the time Apple is on the other side of the choices argument, but when it comes to the iPod there are really more choices as far as file format, flexiblility, navigation and accessories. Ultimately in the end though it is good for everyone that there are many DAP's from different companies competing giving us, the consumer, the choice to choose which player does it for them.

Jan 2, 2005 at 8:36 PM Post #41 of 44
IMHO the iriver is better at playing music and the ipod is better at finding the music on the player. The iriver has a laundry list of feature but frankly compared to the ipod it is a daunting task to find said music. THe new iriver has video playback and is way cheaper then the photo pod, and it can display all photos is dosent format them for the screen so you can use it as back up.

Jan 2, 2005 at 10:38 PM Post #42 of 44
i don't get why its hard to find music, just arrange ur music accordingly and you wont even need a playlist, this is what i do,

genre > artist > album

now when i want to change albums on the lcd i move one stick, and when i want to change songs i move another.

how easy is that?

Jan 2, 2005 at 10:45 PM Post #43 of 44
The ipod is more effiecent at finding it. Becaue it has accelrated scrolling. I have and h320 organize my music. Music\Artists(a-c)\artists\album\song.mp3 and I use playlist to play by genre. It is pretty simple but it is easy to go through massive amounts of lists. Iriver does have the db function, but it throughly blows...in every manner of the word with the 52 character limit.

Jan 3, 2005 at 9:57 AM Post #44 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by wanderman
The ipod is more effiecent at finding it. Becaue it has accelrated scrolling. I have and h320 organize my music. Music\Artists(a-c)\artists\album\song.mp3 and I use playlist to play by genre. It is pretty simple but it is easy to go through massive amounts of lists. Iriver does have the db function, but it throughly blows...in every manner of the word with the 52 character limit.

Yes, the playlist feature becomes so addictive you start changing all you song tags so the smart playlist can find them.
orphsmile.gif

Dread the thought of restoring all my songs and having to set all the groupings again
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back