IRiver SlimX in Korea
Apr 15, 2002 at 11:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

rawhit

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,
im interested in a protable mp3/CD player and came across SlimX.
Is this the best CD based player out there?

one of my friends is going to Korea for some time. Does somebody know the price of SlimX there? Since IRiver is a Korean Co. i was wondering if there might be substantial diff in prices there...

thanx
RawHit

Apr 15, 2002 at 5:05 PM Post #2 of 8
Yup!

tongue.gif

Apr 16, 2002 at 10:29 AM Post #4 of 8
btw are there any mp3/CD players with coax digital output? SlimX though an excellent player doesnt seem to have one.

Coax digital out would make it the most flexible setup as I would be able to listen to mp3s on the go and for home use I would be able to connect a Art DI/O for an audiophile quality source.

actually what Im looking for is more of a (trans)portable setup that I can carry in my backpack from say home to work. I usually dont listen to music while walking etc

thanx

RawHit.

Apr 17, 2002 at 9:56 PM Post #5 of 8
rawhit
I just bought a SlimX and I love it. I'm at work right now listening to some mp3 tunes. I have Media Jukebox for the PC and I use it to create playlists to burn onto discs for the SlimX. I also use MJ to record audio books I've purchased from audible. Once in MP3 format I can burn 'em onto a CD and listen to that on the go.

I use it with Etys. 4P They block out all the noise in the office so I can think, and I can really hear the music better than ever.
bj

Apr 18, 2002 at 1:18 PM Post #8 of 8
I seem to recall that it does support wav files.. but i'm not 100% sure.

There are currently no mp3/cd players to my knowledge that have digital outs. I think the problem is that since mp3 is a dynamic 'quasi analog' format, then to use a standard digital out, there would need to be a resampler in the unit, to bring the stream up to 16bit 44.1khz standard, to be accepted by your DAC. this circuitry is probably either too expensive, or might seriously degrade quality by resampling. Its easy on a CD player, because they simply take a pre-dac feed. The mp3 player's digital innards are a bit more complex.

Doesn't mean some manufacturer won't be up to the challenge in the future, but i think they are concerned with just making them work properly right now
wink.gif

I'm very happy with my SlimX. Obviously, there are a few features i wish it had, like digital outs, but those are unreasonable dreams right now. I think the slimx does a great job for its price.

Peace,
phidauex

Users who are viewing this thread

Back